Mock Printz 2023 discussion

American Girls
This topic is about American Girls
Mock Printz 2017 > July: American Girls by Alison Umminger

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jenna_marie58) | 86 comments Will debut author Alison Umminger take the Printz for American Girls? What are your thoughts about this book?

message 2: by Tck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tck Reads | 3 comments This was a bizarre novel, but I devoured it on a plane ride and found the Manson subplot quite fascinating, albeit disturbing. Lots of YA fiction features the coming of age theme, but this is the first time I remember the protagonist reflecting on violent cult followers on her path to self discovery. The novel is definitely a bit dark and includes more mature content, but the juxtaposition of Anna's genuine self reflection and honesty makes for a compelling read.

Reving | 53 comments I liked it...but just don't think it's a Printz...http://revingsblog.blogspot.com/2016/...

Anne Bennett (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments This is the only one of our Mock Printz 2017 that I truly did not like. I honestly cannot think if had any redeeming qualities.

Sarah | 42 comments I didn't love it. The Manson stuff was odd and I just never really connected with it. A little too strange for me so it will definitely win something. I rarely agree with Printz picks.

Nicole (nicolekukral) | 8 comments I liked the book. In many ways it reminded me of Emma Cline's recent novel, "The Girls," that is a completely fictionalized account of the Manson family (the details are different--the circumstances are very similar). I really loved "The Girls," so I found myself making connections between the two books as I read this one. Not sure if it's Printz material, but with the darkness and uniqueness of the story line, maybe.

So far, I'm still rooting for "We Are the Ants," but I haven't read all the books in this group yet. I'm getting caught up.