Read Women discussion

Angela Carter
This topic is about Angela Carter
Read Women Chat > Angela Carter

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

Louise | 680 comments Mod
Another author, like Margaret Atwood, that seems to be either a very big hit or a 'meh, it was ok, could have been better' miss with me

I loved The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories, enjoyed Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales (admittedly not quite her original work but she still chose the stories that went in) but felt a little let down with Nights at the Circus (though maybe I just need to give it a reread when I'm more in the mood). My real life book group just read The Magic Toyshop, which as an early work of hers, we all quite enjoyed but felt was missing a certain something compared to the other Carter we had read.

Am curious what other people here think of Angela Carter, and if there's any of her works you'd particularly recommend?

message 2: by Rosemary (last edited Dec 21, 2016 04:45PM) (new)

Rosemary I think Wise Children is one of her most accessible and funniest. I liked some of the more overtly feminist ones, eg Passion of New Eve, when I was younger, but I prefer them less poitical now.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elzbthj) Rosemary wrote: "I think Wise Children is one of her most accessible and funniest. I liked some of the more overtly feminist ones, eg Passion of New Eve, when I was younger, but I prefer them less poi..."

Strongly agree!! It's so nice to hear Wise Children getting the credit it deserves, I was introduced to Carter as a dark writer with TBC and Heroes and Villains, but I strongly feel Wise Children is one of her best works! It's insanely clever but I feel it's often overlooked in favour of her typical oeuvre.

I also really love The Company of Wolves.

message 4: by El (new)

El | 123 comments I would recommend Love. It's only 128 pages but I felt it was a powerful little book. I read it in 2010 so it's been a while; here's my review if you want to see what my thoughts were after I read it. (Sorry, the reason I write reviews is because my memory is so bad; six years later all I really could remember initially is the impression I was left with which was a very positive one.)

Angela Carter is an author I am hoping to read more of in 2017.

Elizabeth (Alaska) El wrote: "I would recommend Love. It's only 128 pages but I felt it was a powerful little book. I read it in 2010 so it's been a while; here's my review if you want to see what my thoughts were ..."

Thanks for this, El. I hope to fit her in sooner rather than later.

message 6: by Kristine (new)

Kristine Morris Thank you for this discussion. I just ordered Wise Children from the library. Happy reading.

message 7: by Supriya (new)

Supriya | 1 comments Exactly my words, just love Wise Children. I personally prefer her short story collections, Black Venus, collection of Fairytales, Fireworks, Chamber of Secrets, Magic Toyshop, Nights at the Circus are super. Somehow her non- fiction is often neglected and somehow I still cannot forget the images of loneliness in Japan. Passion of the new Eve can get a bit too disturbing.