Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #1)
This topic is about Gardens of the Moon
Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > Gardens of the Moon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 293 (293 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Anybody up for starting at base level? There has been some interest and the rest of us will contribute.

message 2: by Eli (new) - added it

Eli Adelholm (eliadelholm) | 77 comments I think I really shouldn't be starting any more series, but I really want to read this one with others as I found it a little hard to get into the last time I tried. So maybe. A big maybe. Probably will do it if there is someone else doing it.

Emma | 12 comments Eli wrote: "I think I really shouldn't be starting any more series, but I really want to read this one with others as I found it a little hard to get into the last time I tried. So maybe. A big maybe. Probably..."
I would definitely contribute to a Gardens of the Moon reading. I only finished it a month or so ago. I would then love to buddy read Deadhouse Gates.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna, Eric, myself and a few others did group read for DHG and MOI. I'm not sure if there's a way to copy them over to this group but those discussions (moon) spawned this group since we knew we wanted to continue doing it.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
Scott wrote: "Jenna, Eric, myself and a few others did group read for DHG and MOI. I'm not sure if there's a way to copy them over to this group but those discussions (moon) spawned this group since we knew we w..."

I think to copy them over we would have to copy and paste every single comment....

Emma | 12 comments Don't worry, we can read them at the link you've posted!

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma wrote: "Don't worry, we can read them at the link you've posted!"

Otherwise you can create your own thread if you want - whatever you want to do :)

message 8: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Jul 17, 2016 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela | 3594 comments Mod
I am interested in starting at the beginning. I couldn't until October though if anyone wants to buddy read with me?

message 9: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've read GOTM only in the past few months so I'll contribute.

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Gardens...

http://www.tor.com/series/malazan-rer...

I used the wiki page during every chapter and did the chapter reviews after. It's a lot of work and makes for a slow read but makes it so much better. I never felt that sensation of being lost.

You're dumped into the middle of the world and action so fast without explanations. Just knowing what a warren is or who Tattersail's is becomes invaluable as the story progresses.

message 10: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks for the links Scott. I'm sure they are going to be very handy. I love the thought that the action is fast paced.

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Jul 19, 2016 03:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela wrote: "Thanks for the links Scott. I'm sure they are going to be very handy. I love the thought that the action is fast paced."

I'm not sure "fast-paced" is how I would describe Malazan. There is for sure a lot going on, but it's pretty drawn out which is why the page count is so high. Just a warning :)

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

It's fast paced but a fast read which aren't mutually exclusive. If you're not paying attention and don't have a little external help it can be confusing and frustrating which are mutually exclusive. :)

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott wrote: "It's fast paced but a fast read which aren't mutually exclusive. If you're not paying attention and don't have a little external help it can be confusing and frustrating which are mutually exclusiv..."

Okay, fair distinction. Go with this, Angela.

message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "Scott wrote: "It's fast paced but a fast read which aren't mutually exclusive. If you're not paying attention and don't have a little external help it can be confusing and frustrating which are mut..."

But when certain characters are just walking from one place to the next for half of a book, it's interesting, but definitely not fast-paced.

message 15: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks Jenna and Scott, I meant more I like when there is a lot happening, but I get the point that it sounds like some characters aren't really doing too much for some of the book. I didn't expect it to be a fast read. :-)

message 16: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela wrote: "Thanks Jenna and Scott, I meant more I like when there is a lot happening, but I get the point that it sounds like some characters aren't really doing too much for some of the book. I didn't expect..."

I think what is happening is Scott and I are trying to tell you that you will love it, but only if you know what is in store for you when you begin and I'm sure that you now know what to expect after scrolling through this thread. :)

message 17: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenna wrote: "But when certain characters are just walking from one place to the next for half of a book, it's interesting, but definitely not fast-paced. ."

Except there's usually a dozen implications and connotations to every step. You're probably correct but I'm not certain about the correct term for it.

message 18: by Eric (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eric | 101 comments Just know that the authors writing improves a lot after the first book. Also feel free to ask questions on here instead of going on the wiki pages for specific topics or characters to avoid spoilers. I think there's some general info about things like warrens, deck of cards, etc. that aren't spoilers but aren't explained at the beginning and make reading the novel a lot harder than it has to be. Also like scott said the chapter summaries and tor rereads are good resources. Here's the wiki new readers zone which should help you avoid spoilers. http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan...

Lundos | 392 comments If I were to read it for the first time, I would probably just read all of them in the order it's written, but there are a lot of hints in GotM for the future story so it's a good idea to read it again, when you have a better understanding of the world, magic system and overall plot.

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've been doing the recommended reading order and will do the ICE books as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/173946

message 21: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm also reading in the recommended reading order.

message 22: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Angela wrote: "I am interested in starting at the beginning. I couldn't until October though if anyone wants to buddy read with me?"

Hi, I'm new to this group and would really like to start this series (first time reader). October will be fine for me as it gives me time to finish some other books first. How quickly are you supposed to go through each book though? I ask because I am not a particularly fast reader (English not being my native tongue) and would like to do the chapter reviews as well (thanks for the link, Scott, I had lost it).

message 23: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thank you all for the helpful links. :-)

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani wrote: "How quickly are you supposed to go through each book though?"

With the group reads that Jenna and I have been doing we've been doing a month per book. This allows those who want/need to do a slower pace the ability to do so. It also allows us to read other things during that period and stretch out this glorious series.

GOTM took me 10 days.

I couldn't put down DHG and crushed it in a week even given it's staggering size.

MOI is even larger than that by over 30% and it took me 13 days.

HOC which is pretty large also took me 7 days mostly because I was chasing Jenna who was paying me back for my MOI pace. :)

Honestly I need time off to recover from these books as well. They are both emotionally and mentally exhausting. You have to pay such strict attention to not miss stuff and in the early books you're looking stuff up a lot more.

message 25: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Scott wrote: "Dani wrote: "How quickly are you supposed to go through each book though?"

With the group reads that Jenna and I have been doing we've been doing a month per book. This allows those who want/need ..."

Okay, that gives me a good idea of what to expect. A month sounds doable if I can stay away from reading other books at the same time (I usually read 3/4 simultaneously).
So how many times have you read the entire series already, Scott? It sounds like you are very familiar with them.
It says something about this series if they provoke such strong emotions... which make me all the more excited to read them.

message 26: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi Dani. Another person new to Malazan. Yay. I look forward to buddy reading the first one with you. : ). Don't worry about pace. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to read this.

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani wrote: "Scott wrote: "Dani wrote: "How quickly are you supposed to go through each book though?"

With the group reads that Jenna and I have been doing we've been doing a month per book. This allows those ..."

If you can't do a book a month, you can still comment on the discussions awhile after since people will still be familiar with what they just read (hopefully).

message 28: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Angela wrote: "Hi Dani. Another person new to Malazan. Yay. I look forward to buddy reading the first one with you. : ). Don't worry about pace. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to read this."

Great :-)

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dani wrote: "So how many times have you read the entire series already, Scott? It sounds like you are very familiar with them. ..."

This is my first time through so I'm still a Malazan neophyte just a enthusiastic one. I think a lot of us have simply put a lot of effort into the series so we probably come off a bit obsessive at times.

message 30: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Scott wrote: "Dani wrote: "So how many times have you read the entire series already, Scott? It sounds like you are very familiar with them. ..."

This is my first time through so I'm still a Malazan neophyte ju..."

Haha, no worries. When I love a book/series, I can be as obsessive as the next one. I'll blend right in.

pisang - Florian | 7 comments Hi all, my first post in this group. I know Jenna from the grimdark fantasy group. I just finished Gardens for the moon and i'm about to start deadhouse gates. I'm still in a bit of doubt. Since joining groups i'm stumbling on alot of good reads ;)

I've read gardens of the moon with the help of the chapter discussion in the malazan dedicated group and it helped alot with understanding.

So anyone starting deadhouse gates?

pisang - Florian | 7 comments *gardens of the moon and sorry for other typo's.

message 33: by Emma (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emma | 12 comments I'm 3/4 of way through Deadhouse Gates now...it's definitely easier going than Gardens of the Moon. Happy to discuss with you if you are just starting this :)

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

I set up a discussion for DHG.

message 35: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Sep 07, 2016 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just downloaded book one which is free on Tor. Last free day today.

http://www.tor.com/2016/09/06/14-reas...

message 36: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

For those on the fence about starting this series: 14 Reasons to Read Steven Erikson’s Gardens of the Moon. In my opinion, this article doesn't even come close to doing the series justice, but only so much can be said before spoilers come into play.

message 37: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. | 32 comments Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all! Scott recommended me this threat/group as I am making my way through the first one at the moment.

From what I read of the comments above, people are thinking of starting the first one in October? I will probably be finishing the book by then, but I would love to contribute to the discussion and even re-read some sections of GoM (I know I definitely need to).

Anyone thinking of starting Deadhouse Gates soon though?

message 38: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

I believe Angela is starting it in October. Jenna and I are on the Bonehunters and several others have finished the series. I can definitely contribute some thoughts. Best series ever.

message 39: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorina I am starting next month, so would love to discuss with you as I'm reading.

Though even if I like it I can't see me reading the second book until December due to other buddy reads / book of the months I've committed too.

message 40: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Hi Sorina, I am starting the Gardens of the Moon in October also. Unfortunately, I'm in the same boat as Angela, or rather I all but overcommitted myself up to February, so I have no idea when I'll be able to continue the series...

Samir (royceblackwater) | 842 comments I found this article which may be helpful: http://www.tor.com/2016/09/19/a-begin...

And also, I'm starting GOTM next month.

message 42: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Samir wrote: "I found this article which may be helpful: http://www.tor.com/2016/09/19/a-begin...

And also, I'm starting GOTM next month."

Very nice list for GotM.

message 43: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Sep 19, 2016 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks for the list Samir. I'm sure I'm going to need it. I'm so glad that there is going to be a couple of us reading the first book now.

message 44: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Compton | 163 comments I have about 80 pages left on GotM (on my 4th try on the book since May). Finally realized I needed to take notes on the first 200 pages (to keep "who is allied with who" straight in my head) or even "who morphs into whom" along the way. Got a pretty good feel eventually, and then decided to just enjoy the story and not get totally hung up on who is who. I would love to shoot for one book a month, and join in on the discussions in October.

message 45: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. | 32 comments Tor also did a re-read of the whole series here http://www.tor.com/series/malazan-rer...

I checked it out at the beginning when you feel like a fish out of water and the thread was helpful when it came to the plot of the book, however there are some spoilers in the discussion section that pertain to future events. Amanda's commentary is ok to read, but because Bill seems to re-reading the series he talks about certain things that have not yet occurred in GotM. Just a heads up.

message 46: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorina wrote: "Tor also did a re-read of the whole series here http://www.tor.com/series/malazan-rer...

I checked it out at the beginning when you feel like a fish out of water and the thread was ..."

Nice! I think Scott posted this near the top, but it really is the most helpful place to go if you are confused. I never read the commentary, just the plot summary. For GotM, it is extremely helpful, but as the series goes on, you don't really need it as much. :)

message 47: by S. (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. | 32 comments Jenna wrote: "Sorina wrote: "Tor also did a re-read of the whole series here http://www.tor.com/series/malazan-rer...

I checked it out at the beginning when you feel like a fish out of water and ..."

Yup, you're totally right Jenna. I read it for the first 100 pages or so, but I found I didn't need to afterwards. I might go back and check the discussions once I finish the book!

message 48: by S. (last edited Sep 19, 2016 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

S. | 32 comments Ok so I am just gonna list some of the things that caught my attention/my theories and commentaries about what I’ve read so far!

Heavy spoilers for Chapters 1-10

(view spoiler)

message 49: by TS (new) - rated it 5 stars

TS Chan (tschan) | 159 comments Favourite pic of my favourite character

message 50: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 5 stars

YES. Anomander Rake is the best ever.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6