Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

A Hodge Podge Folder > Giveaways

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Has anybody ever won one? I only ask because I've entered hundreds and have never won. I would estimate the ones I've joined probably average 1 in a 100 chances of winning. I never bother with the ones where it's 1 in several thousand entrants. Some of mine have been 50 copies and only 500-1000 entries.

Several just ended that I had hoped to win and several more do in the next week so hopefully my luck turns.

The Guns of Empire
The Copper Promise
The Waking Fire
The Great Ordeal
A City Dreaming

All end in the next week and have excellent odds. I'd be psyched to win any of them. You should all join...........even if it lowers my odds. :)

message 2: by Tammie (last edited Jul 02, 2016 06:17AM) (new)

Tammie | 4273 comments Scott wrote: "Has anybody ever won one? I only ask because I've entered hundreds and have never won. I would estimate the ones I've joined probably average 1 in a 100 chances of winning. I never bother with the ..."

I entered the one for The Copper Promise too. I've entered hundreds of giveaways over the years and have won 7 of them. the first one I won was for Theft of Swords by Michael Sullivan so that was pretty exciting. Oddly enough I don't seem to win the giveaways that have better odds of winning, and when I win it seems to happen in threes, except for once.

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Wow 7! That is awesome and theft of swords was indeed lucky. Great book. If things happen in three's and I won three from this list I'd be psyched.

message 4: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I've won 5 books - mostly historical fiction, but I won one fantasy novella: A Reaper of Stone.

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments Hey, Tor Books just started an ebook of the month club: http://www.tor.com/2016/07/11/one-fre...

USA & Canada only though.

This month it's The Three-Body Problem

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

That's a good promotion for both TOR and the reader.

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Chris wrote: "Hey, Tor Books just started an ebook of the month club: http://www.tor.com/2016/07/11/one-fre...

USA & Canada only though.

This month it's [book:..."

Awesome, thanks!

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Winter Sky

I finally won one. I like historical fiction and it arrives before the publication date of 9/27 it will be an ARC copy. I know nothing about the author.

9/27 is my eldest daughter's birthday ironically. Her name is Cayden which we pulled out of a Celtic name book where the traditional spelling is Caden but we feminized it with the Y. Thinking we were original at the time we took her to see the Lion King on Broadway when we was 4 and a teenager with a track coat on had it spelled the same way and the girl was nice enough to chat with our daughter.

At the time the name wasn't popular at all but the last few years it's all over the name site list by the social security which gives totals for every name under every spelling. So there's Caden, Kaden, Kayden, Kaiden, Caiden....but they are all listed on the boys side. Our second oldest even had a friend (boy) Kaden for a while.

Anyway fun to add some personal facts even if odd once in a while.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Winter Sky

I finally won one. I like historical fiction and it arrives before the publication date of 9/27 it will be an ARC copy. I know nothing about the author.

9/27 is my eld..."

Nice! Congrats on your first giveaway!
Can't say I've ever met anyone with the name Caden/Cayden/Kaden (and all other various spellings), but I like the name. My favourite version would probably be Cayden for a girl and Kaden for a boy, like your daughter and the other friend.

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

The Fleet at Flood Tide: America at Total War in the Pacific, 1944-1945

I won a hardcover copy. The book comes out Nov 1. I've read a ton of WWII books but not in a while so it will be a good change up.

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Aug 17, 2016 01:10PM) (new)

After many months of not winning anything, I won Three Sisters, Three Queens. I've heard good things about Philippa Gregory's writing and the Tudor period is such a fascinating time in history so I'm pretty excited. :)

message 12: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3587 comments Mod
Congrats Jenna. I've never been a fan of Gregory's. I always find it a slog the couple of times I've read her work. That being said my best friend loves anything written by her.

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Congrats.

BTW this morning just for kicks I looked at the actual winners for a book I had entered. Then randomly clicked on one of the winner for their profile to see if the person was a blogger or something feeling that some of these have to be rigged or weighted. The person in question had over 121,000 book in their to-read. So basically they enter every drawing and never deselect add to my to-read list.

Something about that just seems wrong to me. I didn't enter Age of Myth or The Emperor's Blades as two examples because I have them in soft copy and didn't want to take away the chance to read it for somebody who had. Somebody with 121K would just add it no matter what. It's not against the rules or unethical technically but it's not in the spirit of things to me.

message 14: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Congrats.

BTW this morning just for kicks I looked at the actual winners for a book I had entered. Then randomly clicked on one of the winner for their profile to see if the person was a blogger ..."

I completely agree. It's not fair to the authors who at least deserve a star-rating after being read. I always leave a review, no matter how short, for the books I get for free. For the readers who don't do that, it ruins it for the rest of us who would appreciate a free copy. It ruins it for authors who rely on getting reviews. Overall, it just ruins it for the system and authors stop posting giveaways after a time. Too much ruining.

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Agreed on all your points.

message 16: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

I agree. I always leave a review when I get a free book as well.

I never request a book from a giveaway if I already own. That way I hope that someone who doesn't own the book wins it. I can't get over that some people would just enter every single draw.

message 17: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Angela wrote: "I agree. I always leave a review when I get a free book as well.

I never request a book from a giveaway if I already own. That way I hope that someone who doesn't own the book wins it. I can't get..."

Me either. If I own it, someone else deserves the chance to read it too. I also wouldn't enter a giveaway for a book I know I wouldn't enjoy. That's mainly why I don't like that people enter every giveaway. There is no way they actually want to read all of those books.

message 18: by Tracey the Lizard Queen (last edited Sep 06, 2016 01:57AM) (new)

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 117 comments I won a copy of Revenger! That brings the total books won on GR giveaways in to 2 in 5 years.

message 19: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Tracey the Lizard Queen wrote: "I won a copy of Revenger! That brings the total books won on GR giveaways in to 2 in 5 years."

Congrats. Do you enter a lot of them?

I won two more in the past week.

Kalifus Rising which I entered for my 6th grader.

Black Earth: The Holocaust as History and Warning which is historical.

So my totals are 4 total with 2 history, 1 historical fiction and 1 YA. I've entered so many more fantasy and sci-fi with zero in either category.

I also just got a free ARC from net galley The Bone Witch

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Nice!

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments I recently won Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 on audiobook. It's huge! Listed at 47 hours.

message 22: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Chris wrote: "I recently won Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 on audiobook. It's huge! Listed at 47 hours."

Wow. That is a very long book.

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Very cool Chris.

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I won my 8th giveaway with Gilded Cage. So far the distribution has been 4 children's books, 2 history, 1 historical fiction and 2 fantasy.

My first fantasy book I've never received and Gilded Cage is ARC so I'm hoping I do receive this one. All 4 children's books have been Kindle editions which I'm not complaining free is free but the kids definitely like reading from a book vs a device. Plus they play games and watch Disney on their devices so it's good to get them off them.

message 25: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "I won my 8th giveaway with Gilded Cage. So far the distribution has been 4 children's books, 2 history, 1 historical fiction and 2 fantasy.

My first fantasy book I've never receiv..."

Awesome! Since moving to Korea, I haven't won any books. :(

message 26: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Jenna wrote: "Awesome! Since moving to Korea, I haven't won any books. :( ."

I would imagine the number of giveaways you can enter is fractional to US/CA.

message 27: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Awesome! Since moving to Korea, I haven't won any books. :( ."

I would imagine the number of giveaways you can enter is fractional to US/CA."

Yes, there are a lot less giveaways and a lot more entries because most of them are global.

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments Spin is Tor.com's free ebook of the month...

message 30: by Eric (new)

Eric | 101 comments Chris wrote: "Spin is Tor.com's free ebook of the month..."

That's been on my to read list for so long but I've never gotten a chance to read it.

message 31: by Leonard (new)

Leonard Mokos Shoot me a message with your email address and preferred format - epub, pdf or mobi, and I will email you, free, "Azaroth & Sefalin, an 83,000 word fantasy adventure - just for an honest review. Book details on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BEFPHDO

message 32: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan has a giveaway here on Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

message 33: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I entered. Not that I have EVER won any giveaway but a girl can dream :-).

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1767 comments Angela wrote: "The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan has a giveaway here on Goodreads.

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh..."

I just got an alert that it's $1.99 for the ebook in the USA.

message 35: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

A Crucible of Souls has a Goodreads giveaway until March 5th.

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/en...

message 36: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Two of the most interesting books that are coming this year:

Godblind (UK only)

The Empire's Ghost (US and CA only)

message 37: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments Age of Myth and Age of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan (world-wide)

message 38: by Nimrod (new)

Nimrod Daniel (nimroddaniel) | 171 comments The Whitefire Crossing by Courtney Schafer. World-Wide giveaway.

message 39: by Dan (new)

Dan I'm glad I'm not alone! I've entered so many giveaways, never to have won. Nowadays I only enter ones that are on my to-read list - although, browsing the giveaways is a good way to find books that I may want to read in the future.

I've started writing reviews more consistently. I wonder if that will help my chances.

message 40: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4273 comments Dan wrote: "I'm glad I'm not alone! I've entered so many giveaways, never to have won. Nowadays I only enter ones that are on my to-read list - although, browsing the giveaways is a good way to find books that..."

They want people to write reviews for the ones that are given away,
so it seems like writing more reviews would help.

message 41: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7539 comments Mod
I write reviews for everything I read and that hasn't seemed to impact my giveaway wins. There's no pleasing those people! ;)

message 42: by Dan (new)

Dan The funny thing about reviews - well, I only have like 20 friends and most aren't active, but I don't believe anyone really reads them. For me, I think it's just a way that I can remember what I thought of a book. I have this fantasy that someday I'll get a random like or comment on a review, lol, but I'm not really a great reviewer. If I get the added benefit of a giveaway, then I'd be stoked

message 43: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
The review I got the most likes on (and even random bloggers I wasn't friends with liked it) was a DNF and saying I was done reading Stephen King altogether because of his bloated drawn out storylines... hahaha!

message 44: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Niki Hawkes wrote: "I write reviews for everything I read and that hasn't seemed to impact my giveaway wins. There's no pleasing those people! ;)"

Me too and I agree.

message 45: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Dan wrote: "The funny thing about reviews - well, I only have like 20 friends and most aren't active, but I don't believe anyone really reads them."

I have hundreds of friends. A lot of them sent me invites and I've never interacted with them. I think they just like to have a lot of friends.

Friends from this group and others groups I'm active in I read most of the reviews. Some I don't read the reviews until after I've read the actual book because I feel they reveal too much. Not a criticism, just a personal preference. I try to just give an overview to help readers who haven't read it. My reviews and can between a short paragraph if that's all the book warrants or 5 or 6 if it really touched me.

Sometimes in a series I don't do more than a paragraph even on series like Malazan because by the time you're a few books in it's so hard to not give stuff away.

message 46: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Margret wrote: "The review I got the most likes on (and even random bloggers I wasn't friends with liked it) was a DNF and saying I was done reading Stephen King altogether because of his bloated drawn out storyli..."

I've either loved or hated everything I've read by him. I'm probably going to do Dark Tower sometime over the summer but if I'm not engage quickly I'll DNF. 11-22-63 was so awesome and The Dead Zone really good and yet other works sucked so badly.

message 47: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4273 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I write reviews for everything I read and that hasn't seemed to impact my giveaway wins. There's no pleasing those people! ;)"

Haha, well the odds are usually against winning most books because of the number of people that enter.

message 48: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4273 comments Dan wrote: "The funny thing about reviews - well, I only have like 20 friends and most aren't active, but I don't believe anyone really reads them. For me, I think it's just a way that I can remember what I th..."

I read the reviews my friends write especially if it's someone I know likes the same types of books I like. I also read reviews for books I'm interested in reading so I can see other people's opinions. It is weird sometimes how many likes I will get on certain ones and then others next to nothing.

message 49: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

I don't like to read reviews until after I've read a book if I know I plan to read the book in the future. Sometimes I'll read the review if it's a book I'm thinking I might want to read, but don't have it on my TBR. Like Scott, if it's a long running series I don't like to say too much as I worry I'll spoil something.

If your review is short and sweet, one or two paragraphs then I'm more likely to read it as well. If the review is a novel ;-) chances are I won't read it.

Haha I'm never going to win a giveaway as my reviewing is a bit haphazard.

message 50: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Jun 22, 2017 11:57AM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7539 comments Mod
I'm hosting a US giveaway through July 7, 2017 on my website for a paperback copy of The Waking Fire (kindly provided by the publisher). If you're my Friend or Follower on GR (or if you become one) you earn 5 entries. I love you guys. <3 I'm sorry it's not international.

Here's the link: The Waking Fire Giveaway!

« previous 1