Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

23 views
Books of the Month Nominations > Book of The Month Nominations for July

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
I should've started this thread a week ago - sorry about the delay in doing so! Here's your chance to suggest group reads for July. All suggestions made in this topic will be listed in a poll in a few days so we can vote on the two books for the monthly group read. Please feel free to repeat any earlier unsuccessful suggestions you made in previous topics.


message 2: by Donna Rae (new)

Donna Rae Jones | 115 comments Just pulled 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson from the library - I think it's been nominated before, but I've been wanting to read it for a while.


message 3: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Donna Rae wrote: "Just pulled 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson from the library - I think it's been nominated before, but I've been wanting to read it for a while."

A reasonable choice! That's one I've been meaning to read for the last couple of years.


message 4: by Damon, ZARDOZ (new)

Damon (drasmodeus) | 171 comments Mod
Does anyone want to read Leviathan Wakes?


message 5: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments I am supposed to suggest one more but since my nominee "Seveneves" was already chosen last month and the fact that I've always wanted to check out "2312" and "Leviathan Wakes" compels me not to. The downsides if they are chosen would be the fact that both are contemporary scifi's and the other problem pointed out by Donna Rae last month: both are long novels at almost 600 pages. Not that there's anything wrong with that. =)


message 6: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Marvin Flores wrote: "I am supposed to suggest one more but since my nominee "Seveneves" was already chosen last month and the fact that I've always wanted to check out "2312" and "Leviathan Wakes" compels me not to. Th..."

Hi Marvin, there's no harm in nominating another novel even if one of yours was chosen last time. Do you have a short one in mind, considering your point about long and short reads?


message 7: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Well, one of the classics that I've always wanted to read is Isaac Asimov's The Gods Themselves. It is only 288 pages long and won the Nebula in 1972 as well as Hugo in 1973 for best novel. Also, it is said to be Asimov's personal favorite among all the scifi novels that he has written. =)


message 8: by Marvin (new)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Hey Greg, I just noticed that we already have a Leviathan Wakes discussion board. Did the group already read the novel? =)


message 9: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Marvin Flores wrote: "Hey Greg, I just noticed that we already have a Leviathan Wakes discussion board. Did the group already read the novel? =)"

No, it wasn't a group read as such though one or two members were reading it at the time that thread was started. So we could have a group read discussion about Leviathan Wakes (if it wins the vote) despite that earlier thread. :)


message 10: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Marvin Flores wrote: "Well, one of the classics that I've always wanted to read is Isaac Asimov's The Gods Themselves. It is only 288 pages long and won the Nebula in 1972 as well as Hugo in 1973 for best n..."

I added that to my TBR list earlier this year - it's a good suggestion!


message 11: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
While I think of it, I'd like to nominate Gridlinked as my choice.


message 12: by Donna Rae (new)

Donna Rae Jones | 115 comments Marvin Flores wrote: "I am supposed to suggest one more but since my nominee "Seveneves" was already chosen last month and the fact that I've always wanted to check out "2312" and "Leviathan Wakes" compels me not to. Th..."

Hi Marvin! Like yourself, I opted into reading both of last month's group reads (nearly finished Seveneves ), but we could have chosen to read just one of the options if we'd wanted to. Don't worry about page length - as a sci-fi reader, I just want to read the best stuff out there!


message 13: by Xil (new)

Xil (zerl) | 5 comments Having enjoyed Seveneves, I recommend Anathem by Neal Stephenson for Science Fiction.


message 14: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new)

Greg | 812 comments Mod
The poll will start in a couple of hours (midnight GMT). Anyone who hasn't nominated a book yet may write in their nomination in the poll itself.


back to top