2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2016 > September Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments Hi Everyone!

It is time to start nominating books for our September 2016 group read! The theme of the month is Reflections

We're nominating for September! I hope you're enjoying summer! The weather hasn't been warm here, but we enjoy the sunny days we get.

Please remember to state a connection to the theme when you nominate. Thank you :)

Here are some short rules for nominating books:

~ Each person can nominate 1 book.

~ Book must be available both as a physical copy and as an ebook.

~ Authors: Please do not nominate your own book.

~ Please include the name of the book and the author or link to the book.

~ Please do not nominate books that are part of a series, unless it is the first book.

~ You can second someone else's nomination, but that will count as your nomination.

~ When nominating, please state a connection to the theme.

~ You cannot nominate a book which has previously been a group read. Past buddy reads are fine. (See Group Reads in the bookshelf)

This thread will be closed by July 25th, and we will choose ten books for the poll. If there are more than ten books nominated, we will choose the ten most nominated. If there is still a tie to get into the top ten, we'll go back to the Goodreads average rating to see which is highest.

message 2: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6837 comments I nominate Island of a Thousand Mirrors by Nayomi Munaweera. The theme is reflections and the narrative reflects the story of two families on opposite sides of the Sri Lankan civil war.

message 3: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments Thank you Megan :)

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 12 comments I nominate Silver Wattle by Belinda Alexandra Silver Wattle by Belinda Alexandra because you can see reflections in the metal silver

message 5: by katie (new)

katie | 160 comments I nominate The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. The main character becomes two different people, a part-time Indian and a part-time white, who are reflections of him and each other.

message 6: by Taylor C (new)

Taylor C | 454 comments This is a subtle self reflection book, translated through a non fiction memoir.. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

I'm stretching the word 'reflections' a little bit. When I think of relfections, in a nutshell it means "two". This is a book about doing something you use to do in your past, being given a second chance, and learning how to live.
To summarize my vague sentence about, Mitch was given the second chance to visit Morrie every Tuesday like they use to, and learn a valuable lesson about how to live.

message 7: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Tackett Victoria wrote: "I nominate Silver Wattle by Belinda Alexandra Silver Wattle by Belinda Alexandra because you can see reflections in the metal silver"

I 2nd the nominate

message 8: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments Thank you all :)

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (hammiam) | 171 comments I nominate Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg. Simon Pegg would have had to reflect back on his past to write this autobiography.

"The unique life story of one of Britain's most talented and inventive comedians, star of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Star Trek."

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Winston | 33 comments katie wrote: "I nominate The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. The main character becomes two different people, a part-time Indian and a part-time white, who are reflec..."

I second this nomination

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe | 110 comments Elizabeth wrote: "katie wrote: "I nominate The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. The main character becomes two different people, a part-time Indian and a part-time white, ..."

Third The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

message 12: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Barton (heidib915) I second Taylor R's nomination of Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. The reflection is carried out by Morrie speaking of his life to be able to give to Mitch to carry forth in his life.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 159 comments The God of Small Things

When I think about this book I think about reflections. I don't know why.

message 14: by Paul Emily (new)

Paul Emily Ryan (kickbackyak) Babitix wrote: "The God of Small Things

When I think about this book I think about reflections. I don't know why."

This is one of the best books I've read all year, even though I feel like it shouldn't be. I'm definitely throwing my hat in quickly and seconding this!

And Babitix, I know exactly what you mean. If you need more of a connection Winter you could say it's about two twins (admittedly non-identical, but regardless) looking back, reflecting on the past, but that barely even begins to describe it.

message 15: by Kara (last edited Jul 15, 2016 07:18AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3980 comments Babitix wrote: "The God of Small Things

I'd probably say that the cover is of a pond reflecting the sky--hopefully that's not stretching too far.

I'd third this book.

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 159 comments Paul wrote: "Babitix wrote: "The God of Small Things

This is one of the best books I've read all year, even though I feel..."

I've heard so many good things about this book that I'm looking foward to read it as soon as possible. Maybe the challenge challenges me to do that :P

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Pereira (babitix) | 159 comments Kara wrote: "Babitix wrote: "The God of Small Things

I'd probably say that the cover is of a pond reflecting the sky--hop..."

YEY! :D

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 9 comments "Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline. The two young girls seem to have similarities and "reflect" one another. It's been on my To-Read list for a long while ;)

message 19: by Rex (last edited Jul 20, 2016 06:27PM) (new)

Rex | 4 comments I would like to suggest Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. It's a lovely little book by an interesting woman.

message 20: by CMG (Mac) (last edited Jul 18, 2016 06:36AM) (new)

CMG (Mac) Jack Gantos - Hole in My Life

Reflections - described as a harrowing memoir about an endless string of bad decisions; honest without being brutal.

message 21: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments Rex wrote: "I would like to suggest A Gift from the Sea, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Gift from the Sea. It's a lovely little book by an interesting woman."

Rex, could you please state a connection to the theme reflections? It can be any connection :)

message 22: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments I have to nominate Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed: Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism Twirling Naked in the Streets and No One Noticed Growing Up With Undiagnosed Autism by Jeannie Davide-Rivera by Jeannie Davide-Rivera because it made me reflect on my life like no other book has done before.

message 23: by Rex (new)

Rex | 4 comments Winter wrote: "Rex wrote: "I would like to suggest A Gift from the Sea, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Gift from the Sea. It's a lovely little book by an interesting woman."

Rex, could you please state a..."

Sure. It's by the wife of Charles Lindbergh as she vacations on the seashore. She uses the seashells she finds while strolling the beach as a launching pad to meditate on life, family, marriage, and many other things.

I thought it fit the theme for the month perfectly, but perhaps I misunderstood what had been proposed...?

message 24: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  | 976 comments I would like to nominate The Kite Runner. It is about two friends in the Middle East who are torn apart by war. It reflects the hardship endured when the political climate doesn't support a life-long friendship, as well as the insanity of why that is. I feel like it also reflects the chaos in the world today- a world of extremes and people just trying to get along as best as they can.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie (R-A) wrote: "I would like to nominate The Kite Runner. It is about two friends in the Middle East who are torn apart by war. It reflects the hardship endured when the political climate doesn't supp..."

I second this nomination

message 26: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments Rex wrote: "Winter wrote: "Rex wrote: "I would like to suggest A Gift from the Sea, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Gift from the Sea. It's a lovely little book by an interesting woman."

Rex, could you..."

No no :) It fits the theme, but it's why you think it fits that we need so now I have it :) It sounds incredible actually!

message 27: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments Thank you everyone :)

message 28: by Winter, Group Reads (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4678 comments Closing thread tomorrow :)

message 29: by Samantha (last edited Jul 25, 2016 09:14AM) (new)

Samantha B | 73 comments The A to Z of You and Me by James Hannah. Hope I got this in in time.

It's a novel about a person who is in hospice and is reflecting on his life and memories of how he ended up where he is

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.