Monthly Challenges discussion

July 2016 Challenge > July's Celebrate the Author "Alice Hoffman"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana S (last edited Jul 19, 2016 11:51PM) (new)

Diana S | 1801 comments Mod
For July - We are celebrating:

Alice Hoffman Alice Hoffman

Click Here: Alice Hoffman's Booklist

Here's the spot to tell a little about the book you read. Rate it! Give us a mini review on how you like/dislike the book.

** You get a bonus point for your mini review. :D

message 2: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 338 comments Hello all!
This month I read The Museum of Extraordinary Things. I've read a few books by Alice Hoffman before, mostly when I was younger. I will say that she gets better and better. I really think she's hit her stride with historical fiction. Both this story and The Dovekeepers did a great job at bringing historical events to life.
This story is told by the two main characters, Coralie, a "mermaid" who performs in her fathers Museum of Extraordinary Things, and Ed (aka Ezekiel), a photographer. The two meet surrounding the events of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and the death of one of the workers. Hoffman does a great job at creating powerful characters who won't let you put the book down! I would highly recommend this.

message 3: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 750 comments I read The Foretelling, a unique coming of age story about a girl who is Queen to be in a tribe of women warriors. As she trains and learns her role she also experiences a repeated dream of a Black Horse, usually a harbinger of death. The story shows her struggle to fit in and understand the meaning of this dream. It is a brutal life, touched with magical realistic elements. I really liked it and I am not a fan of magical realism.

message 4: by Diana S (new)

Linda C wrote: "I read The Foretelling, a unique coming of age story about a girl who is Queen to be in a tribe of women warriors. As she trains and learns her role she also experiences a repeated dre..."

I'll have to check out this book. I hadn't heard of it before.

Nice Review :)

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 484 comments I read The Marriage of Opposites, a novel set in St. Thomas based on the life of Camille Pissarro's mother. With its lush descriptions of the plants, flowers, animals, and colors, it's a perfect topic for Alice Hoffman--full of family scandal and secrets, I loved every minute! 5 stars

message 6: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 121 comments I read The Marriage of Opposites too! I loved her ability to fictionalize the lives of historical figures but based on her research. It was a great read - as Marilyn said - filled with scandal. I also enjoyed the way in which the characters interact based on their religious beliefs and the restrictions the religion and communities placed on people during this historical time period.

message 7: by Diana S (new)

Nice reviews Marilyn and Sam F :)