101 Books to Read Before You Die discussion

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Completed Reads > Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alana (alanasbooks) | 1189 comments Mod
I've heard a lot about this book and I'm very curious, because my in-person group read another by this author and hated it, yet this one comes ranked very highly. I'm hoping this one is as enjoyable as I've heard!

Irene | 1517 comments I have read this one and enjoyed it. It did a pretty good job of trying to get the reader into the thought process of its autistic protagonist.

Mike I thought it to be a sensitive and unique portrayal into a child's world where the actions and motives of the surrounding adults are at best mysterious.

Pallavi (bookfetisher) Read this book back in 2013. I remember the story and the "afterstory" feeling. Its a good book, but not for a re-read.
My review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Ok, so my in-person book club read his second book, The Red House, purely because of all the hype of "Dog," and that book was so awful that I didn't want to read anything else by the author.

This, however, was COMPLETELY different. I wouldn't have believed it was written by the same author. He jumps so easily into the mind of this child, making him completely relate able, though so different from myself. The note at the beginning states that Haddon has worked with autistic individuals for a number of years, so I get the impression that this was his attempt to show just a tiny bit of the world he's been so involved in, THEIR world, so we can have just a little bit of understanding.

I thought he did a remarkable job with the parents, making them so utterly human, (view spoiler) both with negative and positive characteristics.

I actually even liked the math sequences, but that's because I'm an uber-nerd :P

Renee Alana wrote: "Ok, so my in-person book club read his second book, The Red House, purely because of all the hype of "Dog," and that book was so awful that I didn't want to read anything else by th..."

I finished this last night and I loved it. I thought the character of Christopher was a very interesting and unique choice for a main character in a book. I have not read another book with a main character like this.

After I read the notes of him working with autistic people, I realised that must be how it seemed to him to be easy to get into this character. He has probably worked with people similar to Christopher and put together his character using different characteristics of people he has worked with. I think it worked wonderfully because I thought he was a great character.

The story isn't really about him figuring out who murdered the dog as much as it is about him and his family, and the troubles they all have dealing with his problems. His mother seems to get overwhelmed easily, and his father, though a little more patient, sometimes goes about things the wrong way. The parents seemed to jump off the page like real people. I can imagine people speaking and acting that way, so I also liked how he portrayed the parents, like you said Alana, in a positive and negative light. It wasn't just a sweet book with sweet and wonderful/always understanding parents.

I really enjoyed this book and will be lending it to my sister on the weekend. I think she would enjoy it also.

Agreed, it felt very real to me, I think that's why I liked it.

Mike http://www.markhaddon.com/aspergers-a...

Some comments have misconceptions around both the author and the book. Mark Haddon did not intend Christopher to be perceived as autistic and he further claims no special insight around autism.

Renee Mike wrote: "http://www.markhaddon.com/aspergers-a...

Some comments have misconceptions around both the author and the book. Mark Haddon did not intend Christopher to be perceived as autistic and he furt..."

That's very interesting. I know it isn't specifically mentioned what is wrong with Christopher, just that he has some behaviour problems. I guess because of what I read before reading it, that might have been in my head when reading the book. Whatever the intent was, I really enjoyed the book and thought the characters were very well written.

Irene | 1517 comments Yes, interesting.... I had not read the author bio notes prior to reading the book, so did not know that he had professional experience with autism. Yet, the kid screemed autism to me.

I find that odd, considering the edition I have cleary states at the opening of the book that the author had spent years with people on the autism spectrum. As in, it's part of the into. usually that info would appear under the author bio at the back, so to make that much of a statement about it at the beginning implies that it's relevant to the story.

Britany Just started this one. My copy from the library- the cover is torn. :/ Makes my heart hurt.

I had a copy from the library before I finally found my own, and it was starting to tear. With that hole and odd-shaped edges on the front, it's easy for the cover to get caught on stuff and tear :(

Britany, I hope you like it, I found it to be a pretty quick read.

Britany Finished this one, and I didn't love it as much as I wanted to. Just went back to read some of the earlier comments and am very surprised to read that articled about the author not intending to label Christopher.

My Review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Red House (other topics)