Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 15. Rate and Review

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4210 comments Mod
Please give us your ratings and your reviews. Does this book belong on the 1001 list, why or why not?

It was the "Harlequin Romance" of its day. See why Leo Tolstoy—who had been writing for two decades—called this book "the first novel I have written."

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/y...

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 5 Stars
Last Read in 1998

This is one of the best books I have ever read. I read it a long time ago, but I remember the forbidden love, the double standards, the fall from grace, the despair, and the tragedy. I read this the first time when I was 13. My parents made me stay the summer at my great grandmother's house so she wouldn't be alone, after a bout with pneumonia (she was in her 90s and still lived independently in her own home). I was often very bored that summer, but fortunately my G.G. had an amazing library in her house full of books - all classics. I discovered true literature that summer instead of the trash I usually read. Anna Karenina was among the favorites.

message 3: by John (new)

John Seymour Sashinka wrote: "★★★★★

Another book whose review didn't make it over from Shelfari...

I read this the first time while living in St Petersburg. While much of the action happens in Moscow, I'd visited enough to k..."

I am not quite finished yet - but that is almost exactly my thinking (except for the personal experience in St. Petersberg and Moscow.

message 4: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4210 comments Mod
I will give the book 5 stars. I really disliked Anna but what I liked about the book is that it is a really great picture of Russia and a snapshot of time. We get a picture of Russia before communism and the thoughts and politics and social mores of the time. It's also a picture of state of being a women in a time when a women was still property of the husband without rights of her own and a man must have his "independence". I thought it did a really great job of pointing out the work it takes to make a marriage. As annoying as Anna was and how much her constantly complaining and jealousies were, I like this book better than War and Peace.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
5 stars
I agree with most of what everyone else is saying. This was my first time reading this book and I loved it. It had a little bit of everything like Sashinka mentioned in her review above. I felt that the book really immersed me in the time and place and I really enjoyed it

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 975 comments Anna Karenina (Leon Tolstoy) ****

A classic adultery story from the Russian late 19th century. The focus is not only on the affair between Anna Karenina and Count Vronsky and its dire consequences, but also on the relationship between Kitty and Levin, and the latter's musings about the meaning of life. I particularly liked the realist descriptions of the last few parts, covering the gradual mental descent of Anna Karenina and the gradual epiphany of Levin. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, I still much prefer War and Peace.

message 7: by Beverly (last edited Sep 25, 2016 07:05PM) (new)

Beverly (zippymom) | 95 comments Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
3 stars

I have wanted to read this for so long and now I wonder why. It's not that I didn't like it at all, it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be and struggling with all those Russian names just wore me out. There were bits and pieces that I really enjoyed and then I'd get bogged down in other parts. Overall, I found it interesting to get glimpses into the lives of these characters, even though some--especially Anna--seemed tormented by issues that I had a difficult time understanding. I'm glad to have this huge book out of the way and ready to start on my next quarterly read.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Re-read Sept-Oct 2016

Addendum to above review: I decided to reread this since it has been many years since I read it the first time. It is still very much a five-star read for me and one of my favorite books of all time. Tolstoy is such an amazing writer.

message 9: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1447 comments Definitely a 5 star read. My husband told me I would be bored to death because it took so long for anything to happen so I was most pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable it was to read. My motto has always been "Everyone should have a grand passion", but Tolstoy's dissection of a grand passion made me think carefully about my lifelong assertion. I realised quite quickly that it was Levin's and Kitty's story which I most enjoyed and I was willing for it to go well. I loved Levin's thoughts about Russian agriculture and his descriptions of farming, particularly of the harvest, were quite riveting. (Disclosure: my favourite television programme is a New Zealand production called Country Calendar!). I am not sure if it is still the world's greatest novel, but it is certainly one of the best and qualifies handsomely as one of the 1001.

message 10: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2061 comments Mod
This was a 4 star read for me there was a lot of the book I loved but I did find the endless rounds of jealousy and perceived betrayal irritating.

I think it deserves its place on the list as it does capture a specific time and place and the central themes are timeless.