Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 13. Why do only Levin and Anna contemplate suicide?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4210 comments Mod
Of all the novel's characters, why is it only Anna and Levin who contemplate suicide?

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour Vronsky did as well. One could also see his volunteering to fight in Bulgaria and Serbia as suicidal as well.

message 3: by Kristel (last edited Aug 20, 2016 05:15AM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4210 comments Mod
Perhaps it is because they both are unhappy, They want to live life so maybe they already are depressed and do not know how to be happy. Suicide is an escape from perceived pain.

Hmm, I was thinking Vronsky and not Levin. I don't recall when Levin thought about suicide?

message 4: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 975 comments To some extent, Levin was suicidal because he could not find the meaning of his life. He was constantly tortured by questions such as: Who am I? Why am I here? etc.

message 5: by Becky Lynn (new)

Becky Lynn Levin was suicidal towards the end. He felt like everything was meaningless.

message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1448 comments Anna and Vronsky (why do we call her by her first name and him by his surname?) were passionate people. They are contrasted with the more sober approach to life of other characters.

message 7: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2061 comments Mod
I would say Anna and Levin feel things more deeply than the others. They are more serious about life and consider things intensely. Kitty is shown to be childish in her emotions and Vronsky is lighthearted and carefree in how he treats people.