Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 12. Why does Vronsky volunteer?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
Why does Vronsky go to war as a volunteer ?

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour Vronsky is suicidal. He sees his life as pointless, but perhaps can redeem some value by killing a lot of Turks before he dies.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
Vronsky does have some suicidal tendency too, after all, he did shoot himself. Going to war as a volunteer is a way of putting your fate in God's hands. It also was a way of dealing with his grief. Gave him something to distract.

message 4: by John (new)

John Seymour Kristel wrote: "Vronsky does have some suicidal tendency too, after all, he did shoot himself. Going to war as a volunteer is a way of putting your fate in God's hands. It also was a way of dealing with his grief...."

I think its stronger than that. When he volunteers he is thinking that he can cut his way deep into the Turkish lines before he dies. It is for him an honorable death, which at this point seems to be all he wants.

message 5: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 976 comments I agree again with John

message 6: by Becky Lynn (new)

Becky Lynn I agree that he's suicidal and fully intends on not returning.

message 7: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1451 comments I agree with Kristel. He, too, was a passionate man and by volunteering he was looking for a more honourable death than suicide. Once again Tolstoy is showing us that men have more choices than women!

message 8: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
I agree with Pip and therefore Kristel :) he was suicidal but it would be God's decision how and when he would die and how he is remembered.