Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 11. Compare the consequences for Anna and Stiva

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4209 comments Mod
Why are the consequences of Stiva's adultery so insignificant relative to those Anna faces?

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour Mama's baby, papa's maybe. A wife's infidelity raised questions about the paternity of all their children, questions that couldn't be answered at the time.

I disagree somewhat with Sashinka. Women in the social circles in which Anna and Vronsky moved seemed to take lovers, but never publicly. Tolstoy refers to many of the women in her circle being worse than Anna, by which I take it to mean that they have affairs, perhaps many affairs, but do so in hiding, hypocritically. But because they meet society's standards, they are received.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4209 comments Mod
Society at this time. Women had no way of surviving without their husbands to any great extent. They also could not divorce but a man could divorce them.

I do agree with John, in what I understand, taking a lover was not uncommon in some societies but taking that "lover" too seriously was not the norm. Anna didn't follow the rules. I think it says many times that Anna's husband tried to ignore the obvious and only accepted it when forced to. He was willing to pretend.

message 4: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2065 comments Mod
I agree it was the judgment of society that made Anna's crime worse. It was acceptable for men to dally but not women.

Anna is also indiscreet and attracts gossip which is unacceptable.