Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 10. Discuss why Anna sees everything as ugly.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (last edited Jul 01, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
Why does everyone and everything seem so ugly to Anna just before she does so? What and why does Anna respond the way she does?

Is it Anna herself or the society in which she lives that is more responsible for her unhappiness?

message 2: by John (new)

John Seymour Before she does what?

Anna.

message 3: by Kristel (new)

sees things as ugly?
Anna's unhappiness is Anna's.

message 4: by Becky Lynn (new)

Becky Lynn I think Anna has lost all her sense of identity when she starts to question Vronsky's faithfulness and love, and so her codependency is making her bitter.

Anna is more responsible for her unhappiness.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments I think she perceives everything as ugly as she descends into madness and faces the ugliness inside of her. She is losing touch with reality and associating the ugliness of her deeds and her unhappiness with her surroundings.

message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1448 comments When someone is deeply unhappy they see everything in the worst possible light. Was Anna really insane? I thought the description of her demise a marvellous depiction of someone in the midst of despair. Have we all not had the feeling that the whole world is ugly and evil when we have been suicidal?

message 7: by Kristel (new)

Not everyone experiences the darkness that leads to suicidal thought but you describe it well. When in despair or depression, the world is only gray and dark.

message 8: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
Anna is responsible for things looking ugly to her. After the way she meant Vronsky it was natural for her to be insecure that his feelings may change as in fact they did. She was lonely, rejected and felt that life had cheated her and that specifically Vronsky had cost her everything.