Play Book Tag discussion

July 2016: Biography Memoir > The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love, and Loss by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 90 comments The Rainbow Comes and Goes A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss by Anderson Cooper

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son on Life, Love, and Loss by Anderson Cooper and Gloria Vanderbilt
278 pages

★★★ ½

This is listed as a memoir.

When Gloria Vanderbilt was 91 (she is now 92), she was hospitalized for one of the few times in her life and things looked iffy – iffy enough that her son, Anderson Cooper, realized how little he actually knew about his mother that comes from the famous Vanderbilt family. Most his information came from other sources, but not from her. So he went on the quest of learning more about his mother. Through intimate emails between the two, we learn a lot about these two – their feelings about each other, their past, their family, etc.

I really wanted to like this book more than I did, although it did get 3.5 stars from me, I was really hoping for a 4 star or more (half a star may not seem like much but it can be a big difference). Something felt off about this to me and I can’t really place my finger on it. Maybe it was the email format that made it feel less personal. Maybe it was at times Anderson Cooper came off much more reporter/interviewer than a son wanting to know his mom. Some of his questions just seemed so formatted. Maybe I couldn’t take myself away from him being such an amazing reporter and just voiced him as such in my head or maybe it really is there, I don’t know really. I really like Anderson Cooper, he is such a talented man that I adore and I learned a lot about Vanderbilt (ok, like everything). It IS an interesting book and worth a read. It’s quick and informative and emotional at times. The dynamic between Vanderbilt and Cooper is fascinating.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I saw Anderson Cooper being interviewed about this book, it sounded interesting. 3.5 stars sounds like a decent rating.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6291 comments I saw the TV special ... was it on CNN? PBS? ... very interesting, though I knew much of Gloria Vanderbilt's story beforehand.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 834 comments I read this book and also saw the CNN special on it. I agree with your 3 1/2 star reading. I found Gloria Vanderbilt's life interesting and am an Anderson Cooper fan.

message 5: by Becky Lynn (new)

Becky Lynn I was curious about this book and how good it was going to be. I also wondered about the email format and how it would read.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 834 comments I did not mind the email format. Since Anderson is a reporter it seemed fine.