Half Wild (The Half Bad Trilogy, #2) Half Wild discussion

Swearing/sexual references in YA fiction

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joshua (last edited Jul 01, 2016 03:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joshua Donellan I'm interested to hear what people think about the use of profanity and sexual references in YA fiction. I've often found it strange that while teenagers swear and talk about sex constantly, material that is supposed to be geared to them has little or no swearing or sexual references. This, in my opinion, makes the dialogue awkward, contrived and unrealistic.

In Half Wild for example (which I overall really enjoyed) there are several irritating examples of the character saying 'and then I swore at him', instead of actually just swearing.

What do you think, should we see more content with realistic dialogue or is it necessary to partially censor this content?

message 2: by Imaan (last edited Jul 05, 2016 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Imaan Iddir "And then I swore at him" is okay. "Eff off, won't you, you mothereffing piece of dog-ish!" is where I would draw the line. That said, I don't swear, and I'm seventeen, so maybe this isn't the mainstream view.
What really annoys me is grammatically correct dialogue. "I cannot let you do that," for example, or "I will be there in a minute."
I don't care that the character is intelligent, and educated, and whatever. No-one talks like that. Definitely no-one under eighty.

Joshua Donellan Yeah, I agree characters who talk without using contractions sound weird. Or very posh.