Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1)
This topic is about Magyk
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Book/Series of the Month for July/August is MAGYK

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Jul 01, 2016 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jemima Pett | 1458 comments Mod
Well, it was very close, but Magyk won with 23.3%, from Lightning Thief and Wishing Spell tied with 20% of the vote.

Remember this was a series vote, and you can start with Magyk or go on with one of the other books in the Septimus Heap series.

This thread is for your comments on any of the books from the Septimus Heap series, and you can read more than one if you like, since it will be taking you to the end of August. Just be clear which book in the series you are commenting on (use the title and the series number, e.g. Flyte #2) and please don't give too much plot away, aka a spoiler. You can use the tags for spoilers - see the note above the comments box when you type where it says 'some html is ok'. It shows you how to use the tag around your spoiler :)

I'm ordering Magyk from my library, but it may not get on the bus in time for Tuesday, in which case I'll have to wait till August. I rather hope that's the case, since I'm at Camp NaNoWriMo at the moment, and this may be the last you hear from me for a while! Stop cheering ;)

Have a nice summer or winter, and happy Independence Day for those that celebrate it.

message 2: by Em (new)

Em Ann ♡︎♡︎♡︎ - theglitterybookworm_ Sorry I can't participate (I don't own neither does my library) :( Hope you all enjoy this one though! :)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 7 comments This is a great series! Really enjoy them.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
Good luck with Camp Nano, Jemima! There's going to be precious little moderating around here without you :) I'm going backpacking...not that I've been around enough lately to take charge anyway.

Sarah | 11 comments My library didn't have it in stock, but I'm going to try another branch tomorrow. I love an adventure!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm getting the first book in the mail in a few days but I think my library might have them too. According to Amazon, it's recommended for the younger side of Harry Potter fans -- I'm looking forward to reading it!

Sarah | 11 comments I got my copy at B&N today! Will be reading that once I finish the 3rd Installment of the Peculiars: Library of Souls. This is going to be an awesome reading weekend!

Laurel Decher | 7 comments I love the MAGYK series! I'm eager to hear what everyone says about them.

Sarah | 11 comments I read Magyk and I really liked it. I could tell that a lot of this novel was character development and world establishment, so I'd really like to read the next few installments before casting too much judgment. I definitely can see where this series would be wonderful to recommend to students who love Harry Potter. I LOVED the character "Boy 412" and pictured him so vividly in his red beanie. Marcia and Silas were my other favorite characters, well, and Boggart is pretty great too.

I'm so glad this series was picked, and I'm excited to dive into the sequels.

Subsequent note, I tweeted that I was reading Magyk and the author, Angie Sage, tweeted back to me! Pretty cool!

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 316 comments Yes, this is definitely one to recommend Harry Potter fans. It took me while to get into the book, though. My initial reaction was lukewarm; Just another a variation on HP, and even Lord of the Rings/Hobbit. I found myself getting bored from time to time, and had to put it down. It didn't help either that the book cover and the series says it's about Septimus Heap -- it gave a lot of the plot away for this book. But the second half was good, and the book grew on me.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

I'm not going to get this one read this month, but maybe I can take a look before we archive the discussion! It does sound at least intriguing.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm still chipping away at this (rather large) book. I would have been terrified of this when I was 10! The size, I mean. It is moving a little slow, but I'll keep pushing through if the second half picks up. I'm liking the family-togetherness-help theme that seems to be absent from so many books -- not that those are bad books. It's different.

Tabitha wrote: "I'm still chipping away at this (rather large) book. I would have been terrified of this when I was 10! The size, I mean. It is moving a little slow, but I'll keep pushing through if the second hal..."

Thanks for the warning, Tabitha. I should get my library copy on Tuesday, so that affects what I might pick up next :)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I finally finished it. I only gave it three stars because of its lack of detail (using blank statements instead of description/action to explain things) but I gave it at least three stars for its fun, twisty plot and lovable characters. The former of these things kept most of the detail of the book leaking out of my ears while I read it -- kind of a problem with a giant monster book of 500+ (!) pages. The plot made it easy enough to read anyway. I'm just not 100% sure I know what I just read, is all! I'm going to pass it on to my son and see what how it looks through eight year old eyes; they might be more forgiving than mine.

Getting an eight-year-old's viewpoint would be great!!

message 16: by B.S. (new)

B.S. Gibbs (bsgibbs) | 6 comments This is my first post over here. :) This topic caught my eye and invited me to participate.

I didn't read the entire series, but I did enjoy what I read and so did my two children (now 12 and almost 10). We started this as a family read with me reading it to the other two quite some time ago (I can't remember when).

At a point in the middle of the first, the book disappeared when one of my children took it over to read by herself. That caused a dispute, which caused me to buy a second copy for my other child. How could I say no to an eager reader? (smiles) And, as time went on, I bought two copies of each book because each child wanted to start immediately and not wait for his/her sibling to finish first.

My daughter finished the whole series. I think my son finished most of it. Each of them at times would read well past his or her bedtime. They would tell me what was happening in the story and would have discussions with one another.

I thought the story was captivating and creative. But in some places there was more description than I usually liked to read but because I enjoyed the story so much, it was a mild issue. Overall, I have a lot of respect for Annie Sage.

Thanks, BS. Nice to have you aboard. Must be a problem when they start squabbling over who gets to read the book.

I've just started Magyk... I'm enjoying it!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, my eight year old son just plowed through this in two days -- which was a lot faster than me! Clearly, he enjoyed it. He and I are both taken with the sheer likableness of the main characters and he's a big fantasy fan on top of that. He's asking for the second book, now, but he's still in the middle of the Pseudonymous Bosch series -- which looks hilarious, btw. I guess it's back to Amazon!

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Back to Amazon? What about the library? :D Amazon is a last resort for me!

Sarah | 11 comments I finished Flyte today, and gave it 4 stars. It had some fun adventure sequences, and you get to know Septemus, Jenna, and Nicco better. I love the story arc with Simon...very dramatic! The ending is somewhat of a cliffhanger... So I guess I'll be searching out book 3 soon! I think I'm hooked!

I finished Magyk yesterday - and thought it a highly enjoyable and beautifully written book, which deserves the tag 'what to read after Harry Potter'. Almost tactile in the descriptions. More later (if I have time!)

message 22: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brlemon) | 27 comments I read this series a long time ago so forgive my memory being a little vague.....

Magyk is read the most by students in grades 5-6. It is for fans of fantasy who love dragon lore. The first book is basically setting up the stage and world building for those that follow so there is a lot of descriptions that take place. The subsequent ones do not seem to have the same problem. The action starts almost immediately in the sequels.

For students who like Magyk and Harry Potter, I also recommend Charlie Bone series and of course the Nicholas Flamel series.