THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > Choosing a Genre for one's book

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Thompson | 2 comments My very first book is with my editor, so I have some time to contemplate before the anticipated rewrite. Choosing the right genre for my book is, for me, challenging. Since it's about Yeshua (a.k.a. Jesus), maybe it's religious. But since it's about a human Yeshua with human flaws and explainable miracles, that just might turn off the religious readers, so, maybe not. Since Yeshua goes to India in my book, and learns the philosophies of Brahmanism, Yoga, and Buddhism, maybe it's Spirituality. And since it's largely a fictional account with historical events depicted throughout, maybe it's Historical Fiction. I'm just not sure where it fits in.
Does anyone have a suggestion? Have you read a similar book that I might read to see what genre they chose?

message 2: by Jim (last edited Jul 02, 2016 10:06AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic Douglas wrote: "My very first book is with my editor, so I have some time to contemplate before the anticipated rewrite. Choosing the right genre for my book is, for me, challenging. Since it's about Yeshua (a.k.a..."

Douglas,

The strict distinctions that once distinguished one genre from another have blurred in recent years. Most readers today exhibit an eclectic taste and are, therefore, drawn more toward an interesting story line and effective narration style, regardless of genre.

A cursory review of published books reveal that almost all publishers may list two or more genre descriptions for the same book. For example, one that I randomly selected from my bookshelf lists the genre as follows:
1. Fiction / Science Fiction / General
2. Fiction / Alternative History

So, rather than agonize over genre description just follow your instinct or allow the publisher to make the decision.

message 3: by P.J. (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:45PM) (new)

P.J. Lazos (goodreadscompjlazos) | 15 comments Douglas wrote: "My very first book is with my editor, so I have some time to contemplate before the anticipated rewrite. Choosing the right genre for my book is, for me, challenging. Since it's about Yeshua (a.k.a..."

I also struggle with this problem. Problematically, by overgeneralizing, you end up in the mosh pit, so to speak, so if you can individualize by teasing out the aspects of your book that make it stand out from others you have a better chance of readers' attention. So for the novel I just published which is an environmental murder mystery with a metaphysical bent, I settled on general fiction and metaphysics because there are fewer writers doing metaphysics than there are writing suspense or thriller novels. Best of luck with your book!

message 4: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Thompson | 2 comments P.J. wrote: "Douglas wrote: "My very first book is with my editor, so I have some time to contemplate before the anticipated rewrite. Choosing the right genre for my book is, for me, challenging. Since it's abo..."

Thanks for your advice, P.J. Thank you too, Jim. I just visited Amazon and read about both of your latest novels. I just might have my next two "reads" to keep me happy for a while.

message 5: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Lazos (goodreadscompjlazos) | 15 comments Douglas wrote: "P.J. wrote: "Douglas wrote: "My very first book is with my editor, so I have some time to contemplate before the anticipated rewrite. Choosing the right genre for my book is, for me, challenging. S..."

Thank you, Douglas. I'm flattered.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Goerl | 137 comments Sounds like what many would call "Inspirational," likely "new age." And yes, it would qualify as historical fiction.

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkibroadwell) | 129 comments I am having the same problems with genre--on one of my FB forums the members have suggested that knowing one's genre is of paramount importance and that readers rely on these genres--I have a time-traveling witch story that takes place in 1692 Salem--side story a romance with a Wampanoag Indian--when I looked up best seller in paranormal romance the covers looked like bodice rippers! don't know where to place it!

message 8: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Goerl | 137 comments Nikki wrote: "I am having the same problems with genre--on one of my FB forums the members have suggested that knowing one's genre is of paramount importance and that readers rely on these genres--I have a time-..."

SF>Alternate history/time travel
Romance crosses over with so many genres, it's not really saying anything to have a "romance," especially if it's only a secondary plot.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian (ianmayfield) | 1 comments Douglas wrote: "My very first book is with my editor, so I have some time to contemplate before the anticipated rewrite. Choosing the right genre for my book is, for me, challenging. Since it's about Yeshua (a.k.a..."

I would say Historical, since your Yeshua is a fallible human as opposed to the immaculate son of God, and especially if the documented historical events of the time are key elements in the book. You can always add "Jesus", "religious", "Christian" etc as Amazon tagwords if that's an additional audience you wish to attract.

message 10: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Broadwell (nikkibroadwell) | 129 comments Wendy wrote: "Nikki wrote: "I am having the same problems with genre--on one of my FB forums the members have suggested that knowing one's genre is of paramount importance and that readers rely on these genres--..."

so is a genre? thanks.