Books2Movies Club discussion

Oscar Wilde
This topic is about Oscar Wilde
Monthly Reads > Oscar Wilde - book and movie

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2972 comments Mod
Oscar Wilde is one of the most important writers of all ages, prolific in almost every literary genre, from epigrams to poems and plays to short stories and novels. This month we are reading his biography written by Richard Ellmann.
The movie, Wilde (1997), is based on this particular biography, but if you can't find this book, you can try and read some other biography, I am sure it'll be just fine in the whole context of learning about the life and trials of this great man.

message 2: by Alana (new) - added it

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments I didn't realize that Ellmann wrote this biography AND edited a collection of essays about the writer also called "Oscar Wilde." That's the one I got from the library. So I'll have to request the correct one, now :)

message 3: by Alana (new) - added it

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments I finally got a copy of the biography through ILL, and sadly didn't have enough time to read the whole thing (was on vacation, busy at work, etc) but I have to admit, when I first picked up the chunkster of a book, I thought "I'll probably skim this for the overall feel of it" but once I started reading it, I found it very compelling. I'm not really reading the endnotes (which are mostly just crediting sources, so I'm not missing anything), but the biography itself, including about his odd parents, is very interesting. I actually ordered a copy from Amazon so I can finish it. Plus, I believe it's a Pulitzer winner, so I'll feel smarter afterwards ;)

message 4: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Just discovered I own a copy of this biography but doubt I'll be able to read it any time soon.
Has anyone read any of the historical mystery series featuring Oscar Wilde? The series starts with Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance by Gyles Brandreth and there are several more. I did read the first and thought it was interesting enough to try another in the series (haven't gotten around to it yet).
I have also been fascinated with Wilde's trip the the American Wild West and think I have a book about that somewhere in my stash that I mean to read one day. Wilde in America Oscar Wilde and the Invention of Modern Celebrity by David M. Friedman Wilde in America: Oscar Wilde and the Invention of Modern Celebrity

message 5: by Alana (new) - added it

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments I've never heard of that series, but it sounds very interesting!