EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

The Jungle Book
This topic is about The Jungle Book
CLASSICS READS > The Jungle Book Discussion - *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaseadillla | 1364 comments Mod
Hello all! This discussion is for this month's Classics Read: The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling.

This thread CONTAINS SPOILERS. For the spoiler-free discussion, please head over to the pre-read thread HERE.

Happy reading!
Kasey

Leesa I'm over half way through and my favourite story so far has to be about the seals. It was quite surprising to me that there would be anything about the sea in a novel called The Jungle Book but I really enjoyed it and has been nice to read something that wasn't in either film adaption too.

Melanie Leesa wrote: "I'm over half way through and my favourite story so far has to be about the seals. It was quite surprising to me that there would be anything about the sea in a novel called The Jungle Book but I r..."
I don't think there is a film version that goes beyond Mowgli's story. However, some of the side tales were made into short films. There is a particularly good cartoon version of "Rikki-Tikki Tavi."

Melanie What (so far) is your favorite/ least favorite story/poem?
[Just throwing a discussion question out there]

Ashley (anicholsb) | 24 comments Melanie wrote: "What (so far) is your favorite/ least favorite story/poem? "

I have always loved Rikki Tikki Tavi but hadn't realized it was part of The Jungle Book until now. I think this all started with my father playing Donovan's song Rikki Tikki Tavi every weekend. Check it out! After reading the story I bet you'll laugh:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JceXd...

Sarah | 343 comments I didn't like Shere Khan in the Disney movie and I like him even less now. I didn't think that was possible!

Sarah | 343 comments Anyone else think Baloo is kind of a drama queen?

I like the "good hunting" thing between all the animals.

Melanie I kind of think of Baloo and Bagera as Mowgli's other parents. Baloo would be the mom (nag, nag) and Bagera the cool dad.

message 9: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited Jul 15, 2016 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 562 comments Rikki Tikki Tavi is still my favorite!

Leesa Sarah-
I preferred Baloo in the book actually as he seemed wise and respected. I also like how the monkeys were outcasts and felt more dangerous too.

I was surprised how much I liked it and 'Rikki Tikki Tavi' was a good story too!
I didn't enjoy the poems as much, I just don't think I was in the mood for them to be honest!

Sarah | 343 comments Leesa wrote: "Sarah-
I preferred Baloo in the book actually as he seemed wise and respected. I also like how the monkeys were outcasts and felt more dangerous too.

I was surprised how much I liked it and 'Rik..."

I'm only about a third in, but the way Baloo carried on when the apes had Mowgli was just a bit much to me.

I'm not a big fan of poetry but these haven't been too bad. I think I tolerate poetry better when it is tied in to a larger story or world like these are.

Mariah Roze (mariahroze) | 15 comments I'm almost done with this book! I'll finish it today!

Sarah | 343 comments I finished this a couple of days ago.
On the whole I really liked it.
A couple of the stories were kind of meh, but I really liked the ones about Mowgli and Rikki Tikki Tavi was great too.

Leesa It was better than I thought it would be too Sarah, well done for finishing! I'm half way through the joy luck club and I'll struggle to finish by the end of the month I think.

Kaseadillla | 1364 comments Mod
Agree with Leesa here, thought the seal story was very interesting.

Also, the stories set in the Middle East and India with the elephants and mules - found them very interesting given all the political turmoil going on in those regions... interesting to get the animal point of view, per se.

Overall, not at ALL what I expected. I expected a story about a boy growing up with animals in the jungle. Instead, it was more of a string of seemingly unexplainable animal behaviors that Kipling explains in the context of the animals navigating humans around them. Different.

Luella | 98 comments Kaseadillla wrote: "Agree with Leesa here, thought the seal story was very interesting.

Also, the stories set in the Middle East and India with the elephants and mules - found them very interesting given all the pol..."

I like this review and that is where I'm at too. My least favorite story was the last one the Majesty Service one. I think my fav was probably the one where Mogli returned to his parents and how it ends with explaining that Mogli got married later on but that was a story for a adults I thought that was cute.

The story of the seal was cute but didn't the poem show that people found a way in there too? And what were the sea cows just made up things? I couldn't identify them as an animal I recognized.

message 18: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments Luella wrote: "And what were the sea cows just made up things? I couldn't identify them as an animal I recognized. ..."

http://a-z-animals.com/animals/stelle...

apparently they are now extinct, but their "smaller cousin" is considered to the manatee.

message 19: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments Melanie wrote: "What (so far) is your favorite/ least favorite story/poem?
[Just throwing a discussion question out there]"

My favorites were The White Seal and Riki-Tiki-Tavi. I really enjoyed both of those stories. I really didn't enjoy the Mowgli stories at all for some reason.

Luella | 98 comments Lena wrote: "Luella wrote: "And what were the sea cows just made up things? I couldn't identify them as an animal I recognized. ..."

http://a-z-animals.com/animals/stelle...

apparently they are now ex..."

Bummer, thank you for the info though :)

message 21: by Lena (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lena (nlgmcr69) | 81 comments Ok, I finally finished this book. It was really tough for me at the beginning because I really did not enjoy the Mowgli stories at all and really struggled to read through them. I also wasn't a big fan of the poems after each story. However, I was surprised to find that I really like the two stories mid-way through the book, "The White Seal" and "Riki-Tiki-Tavi". The last two stories held my interest as well, but were not quite as enjoyable as the two I really enjoyed. Overall, now I can say I've read the original stories, but I don't think I would go back and re-read them or seek out other writings by Kipling.

Luella | 98 comments Lena wrote: "Ok, I finally finished this book. It was really tough for me at the beginning because I really did not enjoy the Mowgli stories at all and really struggled to read through them. I also wasn't a big..."

I think these are funner when you are a kid. Or at least Just So Stories was. It was my fav as a kid. Reading them out loud to other kids is a blast.

The Jungle Book has like a whole nother agenda behind it. I think the Just So Stories were for fun stories he told his kids like how Lord of the Rings came about.

message 23: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 701 comments I read both Jungle Books (I did not know there were 2 as in my copy from the library they were combined into 1. Surprise!) and thoroughly enjoyed them, at least most of them. I loved the descriptions of the different animals and their interactions with each other; the Laws; and the poems/songs between each story.

I honestly don't know which is my favorite, but Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is the cutest of the first book. I did enjoy the Mowgli stories, especially in the second Jungle Book, and Kaa becomes a much cooler character than he is depicted as in the Disney Jungle Book cartoon, or really any movie version I can think of - but the cartoon one is the one I am most familiar with. I absolutely love the lullaby before the White Seal story, I found it very catching, almost haunting in a comfortable way. If that makes sense.

message 24: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I haven't read The Second Jungle Book in year. I loved Rikii Tikki Tavi. It is the one I remember best. I think it is time for a re- read

Mariana | 521 comments Kerri wrote: "I read both Jungle Books (I did not know there were 2 as in my copy from the library they were combined into 1. Surprise!) and thoroughly enjoyed them, at least most of them. I loved the descriptio..."

Where would the first one finishes? Because I can't stand it so far and would like to DNF but keep struggling to get it out of the list. I got to 40% of my copy but everytime I put it down I don't want to start back.

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 247 comments I was having a hard time when I read this earlier this year, but then I read it outloud to some kids and It was pretty fun. If you are having a hard time I would suggest kidnapping a few kids and read to them... LOL or instead of felonies the audiobook might help

message 27: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 701 comments The first one ended at Her Majesty’s Service or whatever that one was called - the animals in the army talking about the different fighting styles and strategies and such.

I’m sorry you aren’t liking it!

Mariana | 521 comments I know, and I'm reading it in Spanish, it should be easier. But it's round and round with elaborate language. Maybe I'll leave it to read to the baby in a few months

Trisha | 431 comments Mariana wrote: "I know, and I'm reading it in Spanish, it should be easier. But it's round and round with elaborate language. Maybe I'll leave it to read to the baby in a few months"

I read this earlier in the year & didn’t enjoy it much. But I love the idea of you reading it to your baby - there’s something very special about parents reading stories to their children.

message 30: by Pixiegirl105 (new) - added it

Pixiegirl105 | 52 comments I liked the whole part that Baloo was in Mowgli's life the whole time rather than the accidental bumping into him on the way out of the jungle. It makes more sense that way. Always loved this book as a kid. Riki-Tiki-Tavi used to make me want a mongoose. In reading it though, I sit and think now about the implications of the colonialism of India that these are referencing. The last one being all about the "servants of her majesty" is all about the wars and all.

message 31: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I also wanted a pet mongoose after reading Riki-Tiki_Tavi.

message 32: by Pixiegirl105 (new) - added it

Pixiegirl105 | 52 comments Renee wrote: "I also wanted a pet mongoose after reading Riki-Tiki_Tavi."

Right? They are so cute too!!!!

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen | 127 comments Pixiegirl105 wrote: "Renee wrote: "I also wanted a pet mongoose after reading Riki-Tiki_Tavi."

Right? They are so cute too!!!!"

For 30 years, I read Rikki-Tikki-Tavi aloud to my 3rd grade student and then showed the 1975 animated short. (Selecting Orson Welles to narrate was a stroke of genius!) I think everyone of those former students wanted a pet mongoose afterwards:-) A true gem!

message 34: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) now I want to see that fim.

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Jungle Book (other topics)
The Second Jungle Book (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rudyard Kipling (other topics)