RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Buddy-Reads > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3540 comments Mod
Sundara found Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children for the graphic/illustrated category in our July Genre Challenge.

message 2: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Yeah.. Any of you interested can join and yeah with us:D

message 3: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Read with us*

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Got it! I hope to start tonight, although I don't know how much reading I'll actually get done.

message 5: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments That's okay..it perks your curiosity right away! So you won't find it hard to get into...

message 6: by Dagny (new)

You're so right, Sundara, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm just in Chapter Three and it is already such a fun book. Can hardly wait to get back to it now that Jacob and his father have arrived at the island in Wales.

message 7: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Hehe!! I'm in Chapter Four. Keep going ;)

message 8: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments You got a paperback?

message 9: by Dagny (new)

I'm actually reading an electronic version. I wasn't able to get the physical copy that my library has - someone beat me to it, but our state library system has eighteen electronic copies and seventeen were checked out, but I was able to grab the last one. It must really be a popular book!

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Chapter Four

I notice that "Uncle Oggie" watches Father Ted. I saw that British series a while back and it's hilarious. Three priests - a very young one just starting out, a middle-aged one and an exceedingly cranky, vulgar-speaking old one live in a tiny village along with a housekeeper.

When Jacob woke up and the peregrine falcon was in the bedroom: do you think Miss Peregrine might now be a bird? The father mentioned they were "like shape-shifters."

message 11: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments I just finished the same chapter;)

message 12: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments It is popular!! It's just like my fav version of a bed-time story Dagny:D

message 13: by Dagny (new)

Chapter Five - Long chapter

Books mentioned on the shelves: Peter Pan and The Secret Garden. How I loved The Secret Garden. It was one of my very favorite books as a child - and you know how many years ago that was!

I think my favorite photo in this chapter is the one with the girl with two reflections.

So Jacob went back in time somehow! Freaky. When the mob was chasing Jacob and the girl I liked how the invisible boy trips the mob with a rope.

message 14: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Finally he has met one of the peculiar children...yayyy!! *hearts on eyes*

message 15: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments "No one here is embarrassed of their gift (peculiarity)"-Miss Peregrine

message 16: by Dagny (new)

Chapter Six
It was the headmistress that came to Jacob's room in the shape of a peregrine falcon!

message 17: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl, another of my reading friends, told me that this has been filmed and is due to be released September 30 - I guess in the US and the UK - not sure where all. She gave me a link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935859/

message 18: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Yeahh! That's what made me want to read it immediately!! Didn't wanna watch the movie first :P In India too the release date is Sep 30th Dagny<3

message 19: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "Yeahh! That's what made me want to read it immediately!! Didn't wanna watch the movie first :P In India too the release date is Sep 30th Dagny<3"

I know what you mean about not wanting to see a movie first!

message 20: by Dagny (new)

I am through Chapter 7 now and ready to start Chapter 8 tonight.

message 21: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Greatt!! I'm halfway through the book..

message 22: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments I finished it Dagny:D
Just reviewed it too...
What about you?

message 23: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "I finished it Dagny:D
Just reviewed it too...
What about you?"

Good for you, Sundara! I'll wait to read your review until I finish. I didn't get a chance to read it at all last night, so I'm still at about the halfway point.

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Chapter 8: We now know what happens if anyone or anything from 1940 stays in the present too long. I'm super curious to know about the past - what would happen to Jacob. Poor Emma. If the days stay the same, she can never get over Abe.

message 25: by Dagny (new)

I am finished now too, Sundara. I was much nearer the end than I thought because of all the extras including a sample of Hollow City which I plan to get from the library soon.

message 26: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Yeah. I was actually wondering about that since you've already reached chap 8...anyway! Would you like to read the full series as a buddy read?:D
Upto you,no pressure!:)

message 27: by Dagny (new)

Yes, we can read the next one, Hollow City, as a buddy read too if we can both get it at the same time. We could actually continue right here on this thread.

Do you have the book or will you be getting it from the library? According to my library, it is in, so I could pick it up next Tuesday if that's accurate and works for you. Or I could wait.

message 28: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Next Tuesday is good.
But I already have a soft copy.. If you're comfortable with eBooks,I can mail it to you! If you want to wait for a paperback from your library too it's alright. I can wait :)

message 29: by Dagny (new)

I'll wait for the actual book, but thanks anyway, Sundara. I wouldn't be able to begin anyway. In fact, I probably won't have a chance to start Tuesday, so it will be Wednesday (if I'm lucky) or Thursday for me.

message 30: by Dagny (new)

I hope that's not too late for you, Sundara. Can you wait? Or have you already peeked? It won't surprise me if I take a sneak peek right there in the library at the first chapter, lol. I mean - look at the situation they were in.

message 31: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Oh god.. Even I do that at times :P that's okay Il wait for you! Whenever you can,we'll start that day. I do multiple reading simultaneously. So please don't feel guilty for making me wait or something. No problem!

And a question!!
Were you surprised in book one when you came to know that Dr.Golan was a wight?

message 32: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "Were you surprised in book one when you came to know that Dr.Golan was a wight?"

Totally! Eye-popping, jaw-dropping surprised. And all those others that had been watching Jacob over the years.

message 33: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Surprisingly even I was.
And I loved the way that it was revealed. Without much explanation,straight on our heads!!
Very dramatic too-all those voice changes and slang...it was more like a movie scene inside my head!!:D

message 34: by Dagny (new)

Just to let you know, Sundara, I'm not going to make it to the library today to pick up Hollow City. I grabbed an eBook from the system when I saw it available, so I'll be able to start Wednesday night or Thursday even if I don't get the physical book tomorrow.

message 35: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Okay. I'll start by Friday :)
Currently reading book is too interesting, so want to finish it asap.

message 36: by Dagny (new)

I got it!

message 37: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments So we'll start today??

message 38: by Dagny (new)

Yes! I can start this evening. I looked inside last night - in the front there are portraits of the characters. I thought that was great.

message 39: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 0 comments I've read the first two books in the series and want to read the next. The photos were great, and really make you wonder. I thought the author was so creative in doing this. I totally want to see the movie.

message 40: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments Exactly!! Like a recap!! Eunuch and Brownwyn are my absolute favs!!

message 41: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments @Colleen
Awesome right? I'm waiting for the movie too. Why haven't you read the third book yet?

message 42: by Dagny (new)

Colleen wrote: "I've read the first two books in the series and want to read the next. The photos were great, and really make you wonder. I thought the author was so creative in doing this. I totally want to see t..."

Hi, Colleen. I agree, Riggs was very creative. Such a great twist on the same old stories and plots.

Are you planning to read the third book soon? Please join us if you are and it works into your schedule.

message 43: by Dagny (new)

I've read the first two chapters now, Sundara. Of course their fate is still in jeopardy - so I hope to get to it again tonight.

message 44: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments I had extra classes. So couldn't catch up!! One chap over...

message 45: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2223 comments Mod
I'm so jealous of you guys right now... Wish I could join :)

Hope you guys are having fun! <3

message 46: by Dagny (new)

Sundara wrote: "I had extra classes. So couldn't catch up!! One chap over..."

Just finished Chapter 3 - very exciting plus some new stuff and characters!

message 47: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "I'm so jealous of you guys right now... Wish I could join :)

Hope you guys are having fun! <3"

What a shame that the timing is so bad for you, Heena. The photo illustrations are such fun. Plus, you know I'm not fond of YA books in general, but these are working for me. Great concept.

message 48: by Dagny (new)

I'm in chapter 5 now with more adventure, new risks and new . . . .

message 49: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments I'm about 10% done.

And sry Heena! We'll do a br on some other book later when you're free!!

message 50: by Sundara (new)

Sundara Gandhi (bookaholictalks) | 82 comments I wish miss peregrine would also contribute more to the action!

« previous 1