The Great Book Club of 2016 discussion

War and Peace
This topic is about War and Peace
Part One discussion > What are your general opinions of Part One?

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caelin (new) - added it

Caelin | 11 comments Mod
I really like it! It's cool to see the characters' background

message 2: by Peri (new)

Peri Halajian I'm really loving it so far! Can't wait to read more and get to learn new things about the characters that aren't in musical.

message 3: by Arthur (new) - added it

Arthur (arosonny) | 7 comments I love it way more than I expected! I was kind of going in with the assumption that it'd be boring, but it wasn't and that was a pleasant surprise! Mary is by FAR my favorite! She's absolutely wonderful and such a sweetheart (and very gay..)

Emily | 4 comments Arthur wrote: "I love it way more than I expected! I was kind of going in with the assumption that it'd be boring, but it wasn't and that was a pleasant surprise! Mary is by FAR my favorite! She's absolutely wond..."

I definitely agree! I was so surprised when I first started reading it and didn't find it difficult to get into it at all. The hardest part is the length I think because you feel like your reading so much but have barely made a dent!

message 5: by Arthur (new) - added it

Arthur (arosonny) | 7 comments Emily wrote: "Arthur wrote: "I love it way more than I expected! I was kind of going in with the assumption that it'd be boring, but it wasn't and that was a pleasant surprise! Mary is by FAR my favorite! She's ..."

Yes, I totally get that. I'm like "holy shit! I made it through part one!" but then I'm like... 100 pages in and there's 900 more to go. But it's still really good! There's SO much happening.

Emily | 4 comments Any Game of Thrones fans out there? The Kuragins kind of remind me of the Lannisters lol

message 7: by Caelin (new) - added it

Caelin | 11 comments Mod
I feel like it's easier to read the book after listening to The Great Comet because knowing the main characters and their personalities makes the book so much more interesting

message 8: by Arthur (new) - added it

Arthur (arosonny) | 7 comments Honestly it's so weird though because you know what's going to happen? So I'm like... who is this Girl married to Andrei? What happens to her? How does Andrei get with Natasha? Why are Anatole and Dolokhov back before Andrei later? It's like an air of mystery i am constantly Perplexed.
But it keeps things interesting because I want to keep reading to find out how everything leads up to the events in Great Comet.

message 9: by Caelin (new) - added it

Caelin | 11 comments Mod
Arthur wrote: "Honestly it's so weird though because you know what's going to happen? So I'm like... who is this Girl married to Andrei? What happens to her? How does Andrei get with Natasha? Why are Anatole and ..." Yeah!! I'm so excited to get to the Great Comet section! Then I can't wait to see what happens after!

Emily | 4 comments Which translations do you guys have? Mine is by Aylmer and Louise Maude. I'm curious if there are any major differences translation to translation.

message 11: by Arthur (new) - added it

Arthur (arosonny) | 7 comments I have the one by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky!

message 12: by Caelin (new) - added it

Caelin | 11 comments Mod
Arthur wrote: "I have the one by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky!"

I have this translation too!

message 13: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Stalbird | 1 comments i also have the one by aylmer and louise maude ^^

message 14: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam (abandonedtodistraction) | 2 comments I think the thing that surprising me most about the book is how funny it is?? Several times I've literally laughed out loud!

The scene where Lise and Marya Bolkonsky reunite (and Andrey stands there sheepishly and embarrassed) is hilarious - I also really really love Anna Mikailovna and everything she does; she feels so REAL to me. I feel like I know several people exactly like her!

(Also i'm interested in how the names are presented in different translations??? I have the translation by Anthony Briggs? And many of the names here are spelt/presented differently to how they appear in the musical...I heard in some translations Andrey is spelt Andrew...)

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments I really enjoyed the first part and read most of it in once day. However, the second part was confusing and I felt the battles didn't really interest me so I skipped most of that part and the latter part of part three to get to where I am now. I have the Briggs translation too (though I also have the Constance Garnett one, which is older and doesn't have the appendixes of the Briggs one) and what annoys me is that they don't put the proper conjugations on the female surnames the way they do in the musical. Another thing I noticed about the book in general is how young Natasha acts much younger than she actually is. At first I thought it might have been a cultural thing but when eighteen-year-old Natasha started ordering the servants around like an eight-year-old girl I started wondering what the cause of that might be.

message 16: by Caelin (new) - added it

Caelin | 11 comments Mod
Adam wrote: "I think the thing that surprising me most about the book is how funny it is?? Several times I've literally laughed out loud!

The scene where Lise and Marya Bolkonsky reunite (and Andrey stands th..."

I totally agree! The characters act a lot like real people! And I've laughed out loud too!

message 17: by Allie (new)

Allie | 2 comments Sonya ~*Why Do We Build The Wall?*~ Schuyler wrote: "I really enjoyed the first part and read most of it in once day. However, the second part was confusing and I felt the battles didn't really interest me so I skipped most of that part and the latte..."

It's really just her personality + the circumstances of her upbringing (rich noble family; mother's favorite, one of the younger children, etc). Natasha is immature, not very smart or logical, entitled, vain, self-centered and spoiled. Partially, of course, she acts like a child because Tolstoy thinks that's "cute" in unmarried young women (which, yes, is a little creepy.) To the character's credit, however, she does go through quite a bit of development in the latter part of the book.

message 18: by lena ☀️ (new) - added it

lena ☀️ (sunnielena) I'm reading the Maudes translation and I'm enjoying it so so much. I was like 2 chapters in and I was already like "oh no I'm complete trash help".
I'm reading it as an eBook on my phone so I can have it with me always in case I have any spare time to read it and that has been so incredibly useful since it's highly unlikely I would carry around a thousand page book with me.
I really love the way the story is woven together. Different people and plots are being shown but they don't seem out of place, they're all so closely woven together. I really appreciate that because there have been so many times where an author has tried to show a new perspective or story line that just seems so removed from the main story that it's hard to see the relevance.
The characters are so wonderful and like you all said, it's really interesting to see the context of the events of the great comet and see how all of those things came to be.

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments One thing I noticed is that Natasha's mother is described as having "Asiatic" features and Sonya is noted as having black hair, so maybe Natasha would actually look something like Pippa.

message 20: by Allie (new)

Allie | 2 comments Natalya ~*Kittendonut!*~ Schuyler - Phillipa Mew wrote: "One thing I noticed is that Natasha's mother is described as having "Asiatic" features and Sonya is noted as having black hair, so maybe Natasha would actually look something like Pippa."

To make sure, I looked this up in the Russian text. Given how the word is used in Russian (more broadly than it would be in English) and given context, etc, I'm almost certain that he's talking not so much about race, per se as about a certain type of bone structure, which is more common among those of Asian decent. I wouldn't be surprised though, either, if this was a genetic "left over" from the time of the Mongol occupation. (My mother and and I have some "asiatic" you could say, features in our facial bone structure and the family is always joking about how we have Mongolian ancestors from way back when.)

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) (violabelcik) | 23 comments Well, Pippa actually looks more white than Chinese, and a lot of the Chinese genes seem to be in the bone structure, so I'm referring more to appearances than actual race.