Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > July Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments new month, new romance listening thread ;)

i'm starting the month off with Play - kylie scott, narrated Andi Arndt

what about you guys?

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments The White Queen The White Queen (The Cousins' War, #1) by Philippa Gregory narrated by Susan Lyons (I'm not overly fond of court intrigue but so many people recommended this book to me... I found I had to at least give it a try). Have listened to 20% so far, it's very well written and narrated. Wish me luck.

message 3: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Started Not Quite a Lady Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4) by Loretta Chase by Loretta Chase. It's the last of the Carrsington series I have left to listen to. Looking forward to Kate Readings narration.

message 4: by Jen (last edited Jul 02, 2016 05:40AM) (new)

Jen (jenwesner) | 27 comments Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1) by Jill Shalvis by Jill Shalvis, which just came out. It's classic Shalvis - quick wit, hilarious dialogue. And Karen White is always a pleasure -

message 5: by Lee (last edited Jul 02, 2016 06:32AM) (new)

Lee | 484 comments I have been on a contemporary binge lately so am doing a nostalgia Mary Balogh listen of The Arrangement. I think I read it some time ago but I am enjoying it even more with Rosalyn Landor's narration.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4631 comments Mod
I'm now listening to Discovering You by Brenda Novak, Whiskey Creek #10.
Discovering You (Whiskey Creek, #10) by Brenda Novak

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda (blondieblack) | 92 comments Jen wrote: "Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1) by Jill Shalvis by Jill Shalvis, which just came out. It's classic Shalvis - quick wit, hilarious dialogue. And Karen White is always a pleasure -"

I absolutely agree! I loved this audio so much! Jill and Karen are the perfect team! Karen conveys every wonderful morsel of Jill's quirky yumminess with aplomb! I reviewed the audio of Sweet Little Lies on our blog yesterday: http://www.readingbetweenthewinesbook...

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) I have a few on the go.....

Listening on VK.com - The Return (Titan, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

iTunes - Lover Avenged (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7) by J.R. Ward

Kindle - Delivery Man by Robin Stone Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1) by Susan Dennard

message 9: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I picked up Again the Magic (Wallflowers, #0.5) by Lisa Kleypas Again the Magic narrated by Roslayn Landor. I read it years ago and the only thing I recalled is that it was one of my least favorite books by Lisa Kleypas. However, I got it as a whispersync title so I thought I'd give it a try. Because hey, Rosalyn Landor. I really enjoyed it all the way through, but at the end I remembered why it left me with a bad taste (view spoiler)

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Discovering You by Brenda Novak, Whiskey Creek #10, and enjoyed, especially the narration. Here's my review.
Discovering You (Whiskey Creek, #10) by Brenda Novak

message 11: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I finished Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4) by Loretta Chase Not Quite a Lady. (Been doing a lot of driving lately!) I read it in print when it first came out, but didn't recall much about it. This time around I loved it! No big Mis, a potential evil villain who wasn't so evil after all, and a heroine who confronts her problem and talks to the hero. All the usual annoying tropes were avoided and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 12: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments JaneA wrote: "I finished Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4) by Loretta ChaseNot Quite a Lady. (Been doing a lot of driving lately!) I read it in print when it first came out, but didn't recall much about it. This ..."

I recently finished this one and enjoyed it as well. The only downside is I only have one more Loretta Chase/Kate Reading book left to listen to.

message 13: by Lara (new)

Lara | 81 comments I'm listening to Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1) by Tracy Brogan , which is pretty humorous.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (honeybee73) | 162 comments Just finished One True Loves One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid It was very good...if you don't mind the strain on your heart!

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 102 comments Just finished The Collector by Nora Roberts it was a decent mystery/romance like most Nora books but considering how long the waiting list was at the library, I expected more.

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Listening to Into the Wilderness Into the Wilderness (Wilderness, #1) by Sara Donati ... it's a long one 30+ hours. Testing it out to see if it'll interest me as much as Outlander. So far, no real adventure or danger but I'm only 4 hours in. But the characters are interesting - Colonial America.

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

I'm now listening to Striking Distance by Pamela Clare, I-Team #6.
Striking Distance (I-Team, #6) by Pamela Clare

message 18: by Sarah (last edited Jul 20, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Sarah (aranel22) | 22 comments I just finished Hollywood Dirt by Alessandra Torre Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1) by Alessandra Torre

It was SO so good! Both the story and the narrator were amazing!

message 19: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 102 comments Listening to The Player (The Game Maker, #3) by Kresley Cole good book, can't stand the narrator. She does fine with the woman's voice but makes the sexy Russian mobster sound like the vampire from sesame street!

message 20: by Lara (new)

Lara | 81 comments I'm listening to Savage Hunger (Heart of the Jaguar, #1) by Terry Spear to fit a challenge category in another group. It's better than I expected, although the heroine is strangely soft for an Army veteran who has seen active duty as well as participating in undercover missions.

message 21: by Jami (new)

Jami | 2 comments I'm in the midst of Extreme Danger Extreme Danger (McClouds & Friends #5) by Shannon McKenna . The first 30 minutes to 1 hour were hard to get through, but I'm glad I powered through. I am now engrossed. Unfortunately, I just hit a heart wrenching part, that I had to take a break.....but I am itching to find out what happens.

message 22: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Striking Distance by Pamela Clare, I-Team #6, and loved it! Here's my review.

I'm now listening to The Rock by Monica McCarty, Highland Guard #11.
Striking Distance (I-Team, #6) by Pamela Clare The Rock (Highland Guard, #11) by Monica McCarty

message 23: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (epic_lover) | 6 comments I listened to the whole Kenleigh/Blackwell series and loved it!! Kenleigh-Blakewell Family Saga Boxed Set (Books 1 & 2) by Pamela Clare

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 511 comments Listening to For You (The 'Burg, #1) by Kristen Ashley - enjoying it. Although I am beginning to suspect that the heroine may be guilty of a serious TSTL moment....

message 25: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I'm listening to Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1) by Jill Shalvis Sweet Little Lies. Much as I love the Jill Shalvis/Karen White combo this one isn't going to be a favorite. I really don't like stories with a Big Secret, and in this one the whole story revolves around a secret.

message 26: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Another thing that is kind of bugging me. JS has it raining in San Francisco, in the summer. No, this doesn't happen. I'm trying to ignore it, because it's not all that important, but it jars me every time she talks about it.

message 27: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I put down Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1) by Jill Shalvis Sweet Little Lies and decided to listen to What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1) by C.S. Harris What Angels Fear. I've been meaning to try this series and so far so good!

message 28: by Jonetta (new)

What happened with Sweet Little Lies?

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Never mind! Just read your previous comments.

message 30: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Jonetta wrote: "Never mind! Just read your previous comments."

I just couldn't handle the heroine (view spoiler) My nitpick about the rain is relatively inconsequential.

Has anyone else read this book? This would have been a great one for a buddy read, because I'd love to discuss it. There's a lot good about it, and I see that the ratings are pretty high.

message 31: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 102 comments Listening to One with You This series started so good. But I'm over it!

message 32: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Started The Obsession The Obsession by Nora Roberts opening is excellent. Has a strong opening like The Witness by Nora Roberts The Witness time will tell if it'll half as good.

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 511 comments JaneA wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Never mind! Just read your previous comments."

I just couldn't handle the heroine [spoilers removed] ."

I hate that trope too!

message 34: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 369 comments Hello all y'all :)

I'm curious - what are your very favorite romance and erotica authors who aren't currently in audio?

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

Xe wrote: "Hello all y'all :)

I'm curious - what are your very favorite romance and erotica authors who aren't currently in audio?"

First one to come to mind is Jerrie Alexander (Lost and Found, Inc.). Another is Abbie Williams (Dove Trilogy, Shore Leave Cafe).

message 36: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments Xe wrote: "Hello all y'all :)

I'm curious - what are your very favorite romance and erotica authors who aren't currently in audio?"

Julie Anne Long

message 37: by Sue (last edited Jul 30, 2016 06:07AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Sue wrote: "Started The ObsessionThe Obsession by Nora Roberts opening is excellent. Has a strong opening like The Witness by Nora RobertsThe Witness time will tell if..."

I'd recommend the above, not quite as gripping as ]The Witness but the opening was really strong and the romance was quite nice (the book title - hint it has 2 obsessions not just one).

Onto another that was widely appreciated on this site a few year back Carnal Innocence Carnal Innocence by Nora Roberts apparently I'm a Nora Roberts mood, she's very hit or miss... you either can't put it down or you can't put it down fast enough. Here's hoping for the former.

message 38: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Narration for Beg Tease Submit - Sequence One (Songs of Submission, #1-3) by C.D. Reiss is great but I'm dnfing it. I really don't care for any of the characters and so far the sex is not even hot.

message 39: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2024 comments Mod
Going back to The Girl On Legare Street (Tradd Street, #2) by Karen White The Girl On Legare Street. I need a winner.

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda (blondieblack) | 92 comments I loved Sweet Little Lies! AND I liked both Pru, the heroine, and Finn! How far did you get with it? Pru did fret about telling Finn her secret... but I didn't consider it all-consuming. There was a lot more going on than that! I laughed and swooned.... You can find my full review with some fav quotes included here: http://www.readingbetweenthewinesbook... Sorry you didn't like it! BUT... I loved it! So, different strokes for different folks...

JaneA wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Never mind! Just read your previous comments."

I just couldn't handle the heroine [spoilers removed] My nitpick about the rain is relatively inconsequential.

Has anyone else read ..."

message 41: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Linda wrote: "I loved Sweet Little Lies! AND I liked both Pru, the heroine, and Finn! How far did you get with it? Pru did fret about telling Finn her secret... but I didn't consider it all-consuming. There was ..."

I got through Chapter 23. There were a lot of other good things going on, I agree! I loved Finn, I loved her friends, and her job seems so interesting. But the big elephant in the room, the reason for the whole plot, is this big secret Pru keeps prevaricating about telling Finn. Pru keeps angsting about not telling him, gives excuses for why she doesn't, etc., etc. and I just got impatient with her. Despite all the other good things about her I found it hard to respect her. Ultimately she looks dishonest and weak.

I do like the other characters in the book, and I'm looking forward to more Heartbreaker Bay stories. I'm normally a big Jill Shalvis fan and the Jill Shalvis/Karen White combo is perfect. I do thank you for your thoughts and am happy the book worked better for you than me!

message 42: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments I finished What Angels Fear, (does this belong in the romance or non-romance thread?) and I loved it. I've had this book for a while now, and am not sure why I kept putting off listening to it. I can feel a huge St. Cyr mystery glom coming on - 10 books to go! I am squeeing with anticipation. :)

message 43: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 31, 2016 09:10AM) (new)

JaneA wrote: "I finished What Angels Fear, (does this belong in the romance or non-romance thread?) and I loved it. I've had this book for a while now, and am not sure why I kept putting off listeni..."

Jane, we're reading this series in another group if you're interested. We're starting the 8th book in August but have book discussions for each to date.

I love the series and think it's historical mystery with some romantic elements.

Here's the link to this book's discussion.

What Angel's Fear Book Discussion

message 44: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 158 comments I liked it also. It's been few months since I listened to it.

message 45: by Sue (last edited Jul 31, 2016 06:48PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Sue wrote: "Sue wrote: "Onto another that was widely appreciated on this site a few year back Carnal Innocence Carnal Innocence by Nora Robertsby Nora Roberts apparently I'm a Nora Roberts mood, she's very hit or miss... you either can't put it down or you can't put it down fast enough. Here's hoping for the former...."

I could not stop listening to this book, excellent... southern as you can get... reminded me of a an old 60's movie with Newman and Woodward in "The Long Hot Summer" except this one has a killer in it. The heat is a character in this one, excellent. But like all southern writing it takes its time, but it's just full of characters and a town called Innocence. (With a name like that it's just begging for trouble.)

message 46: by Mara (new)

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 158 comments Sue, I read CARNAL INNOCENCE many years ago, and I understand your analogy to it being A LONG HOT SUMMER with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

message 47: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Mara wrote: "Sue, I read CARNAL INNOCENCE many years ago, and I understand your analogy to it being A LONG HOT SUMMER with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward."

I can see myself coming back to this one... I really enjoyed it and it sounds like you did as well. If you have any to recommend like that I'd love it. Tom Stechshulte who I have never heard of did a great job with the southern.. just loved it.

message 48: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments Jonetta wrote: "JaneA wrote: "I finished What Angels Fear, (does this belong in the romance or non-romance thread?) and I loved it. I've had this book for a while now, and am not sure why I kept putti..."

Cool! Thank you for the link! I look forward to reading through everyone's comments.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.