The Agatha Christie Reading Group discussion

Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot, #19)
This topic is about Sad Cypress
2016 Books > July 2016: Sad Cypress

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 367 comments Mod
Hope to read this if I get my current reading and then get this at the library. By the title alone, I'm intrigued!

message 2: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Noble | 0 comments I enjoyed reading this one again and think it one of her better puzzles. I enjoy AC's books about murders revisited or told in retrospect. We must be more than half way through the list by now; what happens at the end?

Edward Davies | 2 comments I actually planned to read this later in the month, so that's a happy coincidence. Currently read 'And Then There Were None'...

Edward wrote: "I actually planned to read this later in the month, so that's a happy coincidence. Currently read 'And Then There Were None'..."

That's great Edward! :)

message 5: by Catty (new)

Catty I've read this many times - ot is beautifully written but I always forget "whodunnit" so it will be a great reminder for me!

message 6: by Catty (new)

Catty "It"! Aargh - how I hate fat finger syndrome!!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

This is one of my favourite Christies, in my top five. I really like her books from the 1930s, early 40s. And I like the books where poison is the weapon of choice. AC really knew her poisons and was ingenious with them, as in Sad Cypress. And the fact it is a Poirot mystery. I love Poirot and always find him amusing. I love the part in this book where he's working on Mrs. Bishop, and she's having none of it because she doesn't like foreigners. And then Poirot plays his final card:
He recounted with naive pride a recent visit of his to Sandringham. He spoke with admiration of the graciousness and delightful simplicity and kindness of Royalty.
Mrs. Bishop, who followed daily in the court circular the exact movements of Royalty, was overborne. After all, if They had sent for Mr. Poirot--Well, naturally, that made All the Difference. Foreigner or no foreigner, who was she, Emma Bishop, to hold back where Royalty had led the way? (p. 118)

Poirot and Mrs. Bishop were thus entered into "pleasant conversation on a really interesting theme--no less than the selection of a suitable future husband for the Princess." And here AC is referring to Queen Elizabeth, who would have been 13 at the time Christie was writing the book. I love these little flashes into the past; they're especially fun when you reread the books in date order as we're doing here.
Lauren, I know what you mean about not getting into a Christie because the characters don't appeal. I had that problem with another Christie I read recently, At Bertram's Hotel. However, in this book, I enjoyed the cast of characters--Mrs. Bishop, the two nurses, Peter Lord, and I especially liked the main character, Elinor Carlisle. I remember really admiring Elinor when I first read this book as a teenager. I liked the fact that she could appear aloof and unapproachable despite having a passionate nature and being violently in love with her cousin-by-marriage Roderick Welman. My teenage self longed to be like Elinor, because I was never able to mask anything and was ruled by my emotions. On this rereading I didn't feel the same pull of Elinor, although I still think she's one of Christie's memorable characters.

I enjoyed this book very much. This is the first Book of the Month I've participated in, and I plan to take part in future discussions. Love this group.

Wend (wends) I'd forgotten this was the July read so I'd started a different book. now on hold. It's not too long, so hopefully won't be much into August before I complete. From Sarah's review it sounds like a good one. Don't think I've read it previously.

Julie Murray | 1 comments This is the first Book of the Month for me, and it happens to be one of my favorites. I love how Christie puts us in Elinor's head.

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments I remember reading this and just being awed by it. It's yet another favourite of mine and I love how Dame Agatha puts her readers in Elinor's mindset.

I know I'm late in finishing this but I thought this one was pretty great! And again Christie is great at creating suspicious characters whether they did the crime or not (view spoiler).

And also strangely I felt a similar way you did Lauren. It was probably for the same reason too.