The Bookworm Challenge discussion

2016 MONTHLY SPECIALS > July - Road Trip

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-somanybooks) | 660 comments Mod
Here's a definition for this one. Any questions, let me know.

Happy Travels!

“All I wanted was to go somewheres; all I wanted was a change.” And with this simple statement, the chain of events leading to Huck Finn’s trip down the Mississippi River begins. However, if we’re settling down with a contemporary book, chances are that our travels aren’t going to happen on a river, but rather out on the open highway.

But what is a road trip novel? What makes one book a road tale and another a vacation story? Dictionary.com says a road trip is “a journey via automobile, sometimes unplanned or impromptu.” Well…yes and no. A road trip novel does not always need to be in a car (sometimes there’s walking, swimming, horse-riding, sailing, etc., involved). But it needs to be about a journey where the road provides both geographical and narrative structure.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 379 comments Have to be a novel? There are some good memoirs of road trips.

message 3: by Melki (new)

Melki Rebecca wrote: "Have to be a novel? There are some good memoirs of road trips."

Good question. Most of my road trip books are nonfiction.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Melki wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "Have to be a novel? There are some good memoirs of road trips."

Good question. Most of my road trip books are nonfiction."

I think it could be fiction or nonfiction, as long as there is the "road" traveling element. The "road" could be a river or a trail or an actual road.

message 5: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda | 307 comments I've been waiting for this one. :)

message 6: by Melki (new)

Melki Rhonda wrote: "I've been waiting for this one. :)"

Enjoy your travels, Rhonda.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 379 comments Christina wrote: "I would like to read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail"

It's got it's ups and downs. Um, no pun intended! But I honestly thought (rare case!) that the movie did a better job.

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Christina wrote: "I would like to read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail"

Yes, this one has been on my TBR list for a while. It fits the category so go for it!

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 275 comments Ooooo, got one for this with Fear of Flying

message 11: by Melki (last edited Jul 15, 2016 05:14AM) (new)

Melki Sam wrote: "Ooooo, got one for this with Fear of Flying"

The second I read that, The Beatles' Why Don't We Do It in the Road popped into my head.

message 12: by Melki (new)

Melki I wasn't planning on counting this book for this challenge, but the main character in The Name of the Game Is Death covers a lot of miles within the pages. In order to get back the money he rightfully stole, he travels from Phoenix, down to Mexico, across Texas, and through a handful of southern states to get to Florida.

If you like taut crime thrillers, I'd recommend this one.

message 13: by Melki (new)

Melki I finished the truly awful Mad Monks on the Road: A 47,000 Hour Dashboard Adventure--From Paradise, California, to Royal, Arkansas, and Up the New Jersey Turnpike. Had it not been for this challenge, I would NOT have finished it . . . it was THAT bad.

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Melki wrote: "I finished the truly awful Mad Monks on the Road: A 47,000 Hour Dashboard Adventure--From Paradise, California, to Royal, Arkansas, and Up the New Jersey Turnpike. Had it not been for..."

Yikes, and the title is ridiculously long, almost a road trip in itself!

message 15: by Melki (new)

Melki Finished another one - the ultimate yellow brick road trip - The Wizard of Oz.

message 16: by Melki (new)

Melki I finished my last book for this challenge, the pretty good Road Scholar: Coast To Coast Late in the Century - a sea to shining sea trip across the U.S.

message 17: by Susan (new)

message 18: by Rhonda (last edited Jul 31, 2016 07:36PM) (new)

message 19: by Cathy (new)

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 379 comments Oops, missed it by a couple of days. But just in case:
Far from Fair