Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Sci July 2016! A call for favorite titles and narrators!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1723 comments Hi Everyone, this is Aurelia for AudioFile announcing a fun new discussion for this month only. We're calling it Sci July.

We want to know you 5 favorite science books ever, your 5 favorite SciFi titles ever, and your 5 favorite narrators for science and/or science fiction titles. Give us names in one category or all of them!

Why Sci July? Here are a few reasons: NASA Jupiter landing on the 4th, shuttle laugh (weather permitting) on the 16th, the new Star Trek movie on the 22nd! And looking backward, SciFi author Aldous Huxley, was born on July 22, 1894. And on July 21, 1620 Jean Picard, French astronomer who first accurately measured the length of a degree of a meridian (longitude line) and from that computed the size of the Earth. It's always good to know the size of the earth.

message 2: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1887 comments I don't read much Sci-Fi, I like Fantasy better but as you can see from my choices I like my Sci-Fi with a bit of Humor

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The True Meaning of Smekday

Ready Player One

Any Doctor Who audio

My #1 favorite book about science is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

I don't listen to enough Sci-Fi to really judge the best narrator but I enjoy Wil Wheaton

message 3: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3077 comments Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card read by Stephan Rudnicky and others
Ready Player One by John Scalzi read by Wil Wheaton
The Martian by Andy Weir read by R. C. Bray
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey (some say fantasy, I say sci-fi)

message 4: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1887 comments Jeanie wrote: "Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card read by Stephan Rudnicky and others
Ready Player One by John Scalzi read by Wil Wheaton
The Martian by Andy Weir read by R. C. Bray
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Dr..."

I love Pern too I guess they were fantasy until we found out about the beginning so maybe they are both fantasy & scifi

message 5: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 901 comments The Martian, absolutely, the audio is outstanding!
Before I read it I was indifferent about space exploration and now I read all the articles I find on the subject. The movie was good, the book better, but the audio is the best!

message 6: by MaWhit (last edited Jul 02, 2016 12:17AM) (new)

MaWhit  (mawhit) The Maddaddam trilogy by Margaret Atwood. The second book, The Year of the Flood was my favorite.

The Martian was great.

Also enjoyed Lock In.

The Lunar Chronicles, while YA, also make the cut.

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 318 comments Robert Heinlein's Double Star and Citizen of the Galaxy still after all these years
The Martian, Enders Game,
Lois Bujold's whole VorKorsigan series, though maybe they are not true SF, more character driven stories set in a plausible future universe.

message 8: by Msjodi777 (new)

Msjodi777 | 52 comments AudioFile wrote: "Hi Everyone, this is Aurelia for AudioFile announcing a fun new discussion for this month only. We're calling it Sci July...."

Ha! Never been much for SciFi, and have only just recently discovered an interest in science, so this is hard for me... however, there are some old books that I read "a many years ago, when I was young and charming...."

Dune and several of the Dune sequels...

A Wrinkle in Time with all of its sequels, may favorite of the whole series is Many Waters

Somebody has already mentioned Ender's Game and its many sequels

Then there are Andre Norton, and L. Ron Hubbard, along with just a bit of Marion Zimmer Bradley - who brings us to the fantasy parts...

Now if you want to talk fantasy, Ha! I can do that!.... but, you know, I think I will wait, and give others a chance. I'm sure we were asked for 5 to give us a limit, and so everyone will have a chance to answer... If I don't see some of my favorite fantasy folks added to this list, then, I'll add a second answer. For now, I've over stepped my limit already, so I'll quit. <><

message 9: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1723 comments Aurelia here to say what great suggestions, everyone! Keep them coming. It's nice to see a mix of old and new SciFi titles. The old ones are rarely out of date, are they?

Also, hooray for NASA acing the Jupiter orbit - the first of our Sci July milestones.

Thanks for mentioning A Wrinkle in Time, MsJodi777. Interesting how "children's books" and YA capture the imagination, isn't it? And Madeleine L'Engle is rather in a class by herself, I think.

Speaking entirely in my private-person mode, one of my all-time favorites is Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I loved it in hard-cover, and again as an audiobook read by Jenny Sterlin.

Now, I won't announce the name yet, but we have a very fun guest arriving in Narrator's Corner on July 12 & 13. Goes very well with the topic of this discussion thread. More very soon!

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 226 comments Aurelia, Doomsday Book has been on my list forever; glad to hear Jenny Sterlin reads it (I liked her in the Mary Russell series).

I loved these SF books which were already mentioned:
Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
The Martian
Ready Player One
Lock In
And the Vorkosigan saga books which I've been powering through lately; I just love them.

Others I don't think have been mentioned (you could argue they aren't really SF):
William Shakespeare's Star Wars Collection
The Girl with All the Gifts
Station Eleven
John Dies at the End

I was a big fan of these science books (I guess the last one could be considered closer to "speculative fiction" as there was plenty of speculating going on; still lots of fun though):
Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation
A Primate's Memoir: A Neuroscientist�s Unconventional Life Among the Baboons
Sex at Dawn: The Prehistoric Origins of Modern Sexuality

I think all the books above featured great narration, but would have to give a special nod to Wil Wheaton, R. C. Bray and Bill Nye.

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 193 comments The Martian
March Upcountry (the whole Prince Roger series)
Starship Troopers
Agent to the Stars (Sclazi makes me laugh)

I've read so any others that I enjoy. These are probably my favorites. It's kind of like asking which child I like the best.

message 12: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1723 comments Donna wrote: "Aurelia, Doomsday Book has been on my list forever; glad to hear Jenny Sterlin reads it (I liked her in the Mary Russell series).

I loved these SF books which were already mentione..."

Aurelia here. Thanks for posting science as well as SciFi, Donna. What great suggestions (and titles - A Primate's Memoir, Sex at Dawn ...!) Speaking personally, I'm delighted to have found another Doomsday Book fan. I love all of Connie Willis, actually, but haven't yet heard any of her others as audiobooks.

message 13: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1723 comments Lori wrote: "The Martian
March Upcountry (the whole Prince Roger series)
Starship Troopers
Agent to the Stars (Sclazi makes me laugh)

I've read so any oth..."

I think it was MissSusie who said she likes a bit of humor with her SciFi and fantasy, so I love that Scalzi makes you laugh. I didn't know the book and looked it up after reading your post. Sounds so funny and good. Another for my personal list!

We'll also post some of folks' recommendations on our social channels to spread them far and wide. Such good suggestions from everyone so far!

message 14: by Latoya (last edited Jul 14, 2016 06:01AM) (new)

Latoya  | 49 comments Dreamsongs Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1) by George R.R. Martin Dreamsongs Volume IGeorge R.R. Martin

Dreamsongs Volume II Dreamsongs Volume II (Dreamsongs, #2) by George R.R. Martin George R.R. Martin

The White Plague by Frank Herbert The White Plague Frank Herbert
This a buddy read book bc the discussion/arguments this story will cause. And MR SCOTT BRICK HAS AWESOME Irish accents.

Great Classic Science Fiction  by H.G. Wells Great Classic Science Fiction
Only on the 3rd story, and I like it so far, Simon vance performs first a HG Wells story! Scott Brick reads Mr Herbert.story.

Stefan Rudnicky and Scott Brick are names I hear alot in Sci fi.

message 15: by John (last edited Jul 09, 2016 06:53AM) (new)

John (jrd1st) Philip Jose Farmer - Riverworld Series, Marc Vietor plus others narrate
Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantos (series), Paul Hecht narrates

message 16: by Robin P (last edited Jul 09, 2016 04:53PM) (new)

Robin P | 901 comments Donna wrote: "Aurelia, Doomsday Book has been on my list forever; glad to hear Jenny Sterlin reads it (I liked her in the Mary Russell series).

I loved these SF books which were already mentione..."

I agree all of Connie Willis is wonderful. The sci-fi elements are sometimes rather small but the whole universe she creates is terrific and she writes about one of my favorite themes - ordinary people dealing positively with extraordinary circumstances. (That's one of the things I love about The Martian as well).

I have a story about the audio of The Doomsday Book. I drove 4 hours for a job interview that turned out to be a dud, but I almost didn't mind because I listened to the audio of that book all the way there and back.

message 17: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1723 comments Robin wrote: "Donna wrote: "Aurelia, Doomsday Book has been on my list forever; glad to hear Jenny Sterlin reads it (I liked her in the Mary Russell series).

I loved these SF books which were al..."

Aurelia here. What a great story, Robin! Connie Willis and Jenny Sterlin took you on a fascinating, other-time journey - with a dud job interview being your excuse for listening. Hooray audiobooks! And I agree about the sci-fi elements in Willis; they're not very fantasy-like. Instead I think of her as taking a science topic that interests her and using it to explore the human condition.

message 18: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 49 comments Wastelands: Stories of the ApocalypseJohn Joseph Adams Wastelands Stories of the Apocalypse by John Joseph Adams

Wow great narrators but an anthology on the end of the world can be a downer LOL

message 19: by J. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (last edited Jul 10, 2016 09:28AM) (new)

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 724 comments How did I miss this conversation? This is my genre! You asked for five favorite books, but I'm going to pretend you said five favorite books or series.

Books/Series:
Anything by Alastair Reynolds for space opera. Pushing Ice was my first Reynolds book and left me pondering for several days.

The Zones of Thought series is a trip. I call it intellectual sci-fi, the equivalent to sci-fi poetry to my ears.

The Old Man's War series by John Scalzi is a lot of fun.

Armor. I love Armor.

I want to have a beautiful sci-fi book in here too, but I'm torn between The Humans and Remnant Population.

... my full list as of a couple years ago

Narrators:
John Lee is outstanding

Wil Wheaton

Jeffrey Kafer

Liam Owen

Khristine Hvam

Pgrant2maine.Rr.Com | 3 comments I keep Bill Bryson's A SHORT HISTORY OF NEARLY EVERYTHING on my phone (the unabridged audiobook narrated by Richard Matthews) and dip into it whenever I need a break from current turmoil and angst. An amazing feat of reporting, it is a constant reminder of how Big the BIG PICTURE is, while conveying a dizzying number of facts in entertaining fashion. A great tonic when you despair of humanity and its quarrels.
Priscilla of AudioFile

message 21: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1723 comments Aurelia here to say thank you for all the favorites. Keep 'em coming! I also wanted to let you know about AudioFile's Sci July Facebook giveaway, which includes R.C. Bray's narration of The Martian. Even if you decide not to enter - although one more copy of The Martian never hurts - the video that R.C. Bray created about the giveaway is a MUST. This guy is funny. https://www.facebook.com/audiofilemag....

message 22: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3077 comments Just have to say how appropriate a prize The Martian is for this topic. And R. C. Bray's video was a hoot. I always suspected his characterization of Mark was him being himself!

message 23: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Jose (jerryjose7) | 17 comments I will just leave some of my fav, just to give a top 5
By his Bootstraps by Robert A Heinlein
The Shadow Out of Time by HP Lovecraft
Dune by Frank Herbert
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Ready Player One by Ernst Cline

message 24: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 49 comments J. wrote: "How did I miss this conversation? This is my genre! You asked for five favorite books, but I'm going to pretend you said five favorite books or series.

Books/Series:
Anything by [author:Alastair R..."

Oh thanks. I'm getting into sci fi but I notice its usually classics! Frank Herbert, George R.R martin, Phillip k. Dick, etc. I realize I followed Mr.Martin recommendations LOL.

message 25: by Sterling (new)

Sterling (sterlingf) | -24 comments My favorite Scifi books are
The Martian.
Red Rising trilogy.
The Expanse series.
Enders Game.
I love R C Bray's narration of The Martian. He was so perfect.
I also absolutely love everything that Tim Gerard Reynolds does. He was so great reading Red Rising. But he is great whatever he reads not just fantasy/Scifi.

message 26: by Latoya (new)

Latoya  | 49 comments TBR LIST IS EXPLODING! (In robot voice).

message 27: by MaWhit (new)

MaWhit  (mawhit) Narrators Kristine Hvam and Wil Wheaton, yes.

message 28: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1723 comments V wrote: "TBR LIST IS EXPLODING! (In robot voice)."

Aurelia here - for sure, for sure! (This is fun!)

message 29: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 197 comments AudioFile wrote: "I love all of Connie Willis, actually, but haven't yet heard any of her others as audiobooks. ..."

Two of my favorite audiobooks of all time are her Blackout and All Clear - they're perfect.

I loved The Martian too. I did not love Ready Player One, but Wil Wheaton made it better. He was also a lot of fun in Fuzzy Nation.

I just listened to World War Z, a single-narrator copy I picked up somewhere, and while Jim Zeiger did a tremendous job with a raft of characters, now I'm thinking I'm going to have to try one of the full-cast editions. It's a remarkable book.

message 30: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1723 comments Tracey wrote: "AudioFile wrote: "I love all of Connie Willis, actually, but haven't yet heard any of her others as audiobooks. ..."

Two of my favorite audiobooks of all time are her Blackout and [..."

Tracey, Aurelia here. Thanks for this. I read and loved Blackout and All Clear, and have wanted to revisit them. I'll do it now as audiobooks!

And it's great to have your other comments and recommendations.

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna Postel | 22 comments Great topic! One of the great things about being an audiobook narrator is getting to dive into titles that may be a little off the beaten path, but turn out to be real gems. One of those for me is The Hauntings of Playing God by Chris Dietzel, one of the Great De Evolution series. Today happens to be release day for the audiobook version! The story is told from the perspective of the last ambulatory human alive, in the entirely-plausible future. Check it out! The Hauntings of Playing God