Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Group Reads 2016 > July Book of the Month - London Tides: A Novel (The MacDonald Family Trilogy Book 2)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Jul 01, 2016 08:24AM) (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 3091 comments Mod
This month one of our group reads is:
London Tides (MacDonald Family Trilogy, #2) by Carla Laureano

Irish photojournalist Grace Brennan travels the world’s war zones documenting the helpless and forgotten. After the death of her friend and mentor in the field, Grace is shaken.

She returns to London hoping to rekindle the spark with the only man she ever loved—Scottish businessman Ian MacDonald. But he gave up his championship rowing career and dreams of Olympic gold years ago for Grace ... only for her to choose career over him. Will life’s tides bring them back together ... or tear them apart for good this time?

Although this is book 2 in a trilogy, it can be read as a stand alone as it focuses on one of the MacDonald children.

message 2: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I just finished Book 1 - Five Days in Skye. Contemporary Christian Romance is not my favorite genre, but this took its place with a few other CCR's that I have absolutely loved. I'm really looking forward to reading London Tides. I'm also thrilled to announce that Carla Laureano will be joining us mid month for our discussion.

message 3: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Wow - really liked this book and the depth of emotion it conveyed.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 75 comments Started this book today. Looks like a good one.

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara Isaac | 7 comments I was such a fan of London Tides (and Five Days in Skye!). Can't wait to chime in on the discussion :)

message 6: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I am going to post some discussion questions for those of you who are finished. If you post something that might spoil it for others who are still reading, please click on (some html is ok) and you will find a spoiler alert button that will block out anything that might give something away. Please feel free to answer any or all questions or post a question of your own. I will be giving Carla a heads up that we have started to discuss so that she might join us.

1. Grace had a hard time leaving behind her career because of her deep need to draw attention to the overlooked and oppressed. Ian tells her he feels he has an obligation to those who haven't had his opportunities. What kind of responsibility do we have as both world citizens and people of faith to recognize and meet the needs of others?

2. The search for home and safety are two central themes in London Tides. How are those two related in Grace's mind? How does the idea of purpose intersect with those themes?

3. How is the idea of "unveiling" and "revealing" used symbolically throughout the book?

4. Why do you think Grace relates so strongly to the oppressed, displaced, and forgotten?

5. Grace quotes Nietzsche when she talks about why she is leaving her career: she fears the darkness she has witnessed is changing her. What do you think she is running from?

6. Grace's identity is wrapped up so tightly in her career, and then later in her relationship with Ian, that she feels lost and hopeless when it seems like she has lost both. What is the danger in placing self-worth in the changeable. In what other things should we find our value?

7. At the beginning of the story, Grace hides her tattoos from Ian because they are a reminder of all the things she wants to forget but can't allow herself to forget. Near the end, she chooses a wedding dress that shows every last tattoo. How do you think this might be symbolic of their relationship.

8. Both Ian and Grace come away changed from their short reunion without knowing if they will get a chance at forever. Can you think of instances when other people have been used as instruments of change in your life, even if you didn't see the reason behind it at the time?

message 7: by Carla (new)

Carla Laureano (jadelotus02) | 3 comments Hey everyone! I'm thrilled to have had London Tides as your book of the month selection. I'll be checking in over the next few days, so if you have any questions or comments for me, please feel free to send them my way!

message 8: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Carla thank you so much for joining us. I want to say I absolutely loved this book and the unique heroine. I don't think I have ever read a book with the main character a photojournalist who covers war stories. It brought a whole new perspective to me of how this must affect their lives as well. I know a bit about PTSD as my husband was a medic in Vietnam.

message 9: by Carla (new)

Carla Laureano (jadelotus02) | 3 comments Thanks Loraine. Most people don't know that there is a higher rate of PTSD among journalists than soldiers. Partly because they lack the same training and partly because they get closer to the human toll (and more frequently) than combatants. If you're interested in more on the topic, I recommend reading photojournalist Lynsey Addario's memoir, "It's What I Do." It hadn't been published at the time I wrote London Tides, but I was gratified to see that some of Grace's experience mirrored her real life so closely.

message 10: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Thanks for the heads up on the memoir. I will add it to my TBR list. After having read your book, I am not surprised that the toll would be higher. Looking at the photos they took would be a constant reminder of the horrors they had seen. Really difficult to erase.

message 11: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Carla - thanks so much for joining us this month. I apologize that we didn't have more discussion going on. We sometimes get a slow down during the summer months as people are traveling and busy with summer activities. We want you to know though that your book is wonderful and we look forward to reading more of your writing.

message 12: by Carla (new)

Carla Laureano (jadelotus02) | 3 comments Thanks Loraine. I haven't been around much for the same reason... squeezing out every last moment of summer fun! Thanks for selecting London Tides for your group!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.