Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Ratings and Reviews

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
12. Ratings and reviews. Does the book belong on the list? Why or why not?

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
My review from when I originally read this.

Yes it deserves to be on the list.

4 stars

Set in India this is a story about mixed sex twins growing up in a country where love is dictated by what caste/ religion/ family you are born into.

At the heart of the story is a tragic accident whose repercussions are felt for years after the event.

This is a slow going and often confusing story that jumps around in time, place and character however if you stick at it, it is worth the effort.

Beautiful descriptive writing

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I gave this 5 stars when I read it originally and the second time around I'd probably give it 4 or 4.5 stars.

The writing is spectacular and I enjoyed the narrative structure and liked how the last chapter was focused on the love between two characters amidst all the heartache. I found that ending particularly powerful.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 4 Stars
Read: 2008

It has been a few years since I read this. I remember enjoying the book, but thinking that maybe it didn't quite live up to its hype. I even initially gave it a 3 star rating, mainly due to its pacing. It is definitely one of those books that stays with you, though. A few days after I read it, I upped my rating. The author did a great job of evoking a sense of place and relationships between the characters. I think it definitely deserves to be on the list.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Fennell | 107 comments 4 Stars

It has also been years since I read this. I remember being fully engaged in the story and parts of it still haunt me today. I liked the way the tale unfolded.

message 6: by Dianne (new)

Dianne (deemitchell) I read this a few years ago, but remember being unable to put it down and really drawn into the novel. I have never forgotten it, it made a real impact on me.

message 7: by Diane (last edited Jul 30, 2016 02:32PM) (new)

Diane Zwang | 1289 comments Mod
5 stars
What a fascinating book, such intricate details to weave a story. Every word, every sentence, every paragraph carefully chosen. I have never read anything like it before.

The story, set in rural India, is of fraternal twins Rahel and Esthappen. It is a complicated family saga about love and loss. The caste system is alive and well in this novel. I loved that the story was not linear, we were for told of things to come so knowing the outcome was not the point of the story but the journey itself. This is one of those books that stays with you long after you've finished.

message 8: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
I gave it 5 stars. I liked it a lot. It was interesting that we read both God of Small Things and Midnight's Children at the same time.

I liked the author's use of words, she was very creative. The story was dark and sad as Booker Prize books often are. The setting is 1969 in the southernmost tip of India. Two-egg twins Rahel and Esthappen are two innocent children that will be severely affected by the adults in their lives. "Things can change in a day" is one of the many statements made by the author that creates foreboding as the reader nears the end.

message 9: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 975 comments The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy) ****

Another little gem of contemporary Indian literature. Two-egg twins, Rahel and Esthappen reunite in the village of their childhood after a long separation caused by tragic events which happened in the late sixties. We slowly understand, piece by piece, what led to these tragedies and what impact it had on the remaining characters. The familiar Indian themes of caste, family and men vs women are again explored, but under a new light. I quite enjoyed the playfulness of Roy's writing, especially when it came to describe how clever/inventive/curious the twins were in their childhood.