CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

Halfway Celebration Threads > Day 5- The Most Surprising

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 749 comments Mod
What book surprised you the most this year? Whether because you didn't expect to like it and did; or the content was not what you were expecting; or because you thought it would be perfect and it wasn't; or for any other reason.

I think the most surprising book I've read so far was The State of Play: Creators and Critics on Video Game Culture. I picked it up, not because I play, but because I'm interested in that culture and I like reading scholarly books. I wasn't really expecting this to hold my attention too well or be anything other than dry. I was wrong. It was quite fascinating and the articles were incredibly diverse from a diverse cast of people, each with unique voices. I ended up really enjoying the individual essays in the book. I recommend it for anyone interested in video game culture.

The State of Play Creators and Critics on Video Game Culture by Daniel Goldberg

message 2: by J (last edited Jul 01, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
My surprising book was My First Five Husbands..And the Ones Who Got Away
My First Five Husbands..And the Ones Who Got Away by Rue McClanahan

I really wanted to like this book and went in with high hopes. But she just kept jumping all over the place and it was a jarring read for me - and I found myself looking for ways to avoid reading until I decided to just give it up. I'm sad because I super loved Rue McClanahan on the Golden Girls and thought I would super love this book.

message 3: by Ann (last edited Jul 05, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 475 comments My surprising book was After the War Is Over by Jennifer Robson. It took a bit to get into the book, but it turned out to be really enjoyable. I had read Somewhere in France by the same author, but this was only the second book of her that I had read. I'll be interested to see what she writes next.
After the War Is Over by Jennifer Robson Somewhere in France by Jennifer Robson

message 4: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments Crank. All about a girl's life falling apart after getting addicted to drugs. I was mesmerized & found it so sad, but understood so much more about how hard it is to kick after this one.