The Online Book Cafe discussion

What You're Reading in July!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

New Jersey State Library (newjerseystatelibrary) | 48 comments Mod
It's July! I can't quite believe it's July, but here it is! So please come on in, and talk about what you're reading this month.

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul (paintedpixels) | 10 comments I recently finished up Tiger Lily, a kind of re-imagining of the story of Peter Pan by Jodi Lynn Anderson and while I love Peter Pan, I didn't like this interpretation very much.

I'm also currently reading Seraphina by Rachel Hartman and have really been enjoying the fantasy world this author has crafted. I look forward to finishing this and reading its sequel.

I really like Seraphina! I've read Rachel Hartman's mini-comics set in the same world; they used to be some of my favorites. I started listening to the sequel as an audiobook, but something stopped me - it might have been the narrator. Or I may have just gotten briefly distracted by something else! Let me know how you liked it, once you're finished with it.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 6 comments I am finishing up Gray Mounty by John Grisham. I always find stories about life in coal country because I have family members who lived that life in Pennsylvania, I wouldn't call this book a page turner.

Kathleen wrote: "I am finishing up Gray Mounty by John Grisham. I always find stories about life in coal country because I have family members who lived that life in Pennsylvania, I wouldn't call this book a page t..."

Hi, Kathleen - I've heard a lot of divergent opinions about Gray Mountain! I think I saw it referred to as one of Grisham's "issue books." What was it about it that slowed it down for you?

Thanks for dropping in and discussing what you've read!

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 6 comments Gray Mountain was about the coal industry and how the big coal companies get away with damaging the environment, skirting safety concerns and employee rights, and the complicity of the justice system. It was interesting, but not as fast paced as I expected a Grisham book to be. Still, worth the read.

I just finished "The Gods of Guilt" by Michael Connelly, a legal "thriller", which I enjoyed and have just begun the classic, "Rebecca", by Daphne Du Maurier. I'm through the first 2 chapters and am finding it slow going. Has anyone here read it?