Horror Aficionados discussion

Pressure
This topic is about Pressure
Group Reads > July 2016 Group Read Winner-Pressure by Brian Keene!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Char  | 16817 comments Mod
The winner of our July poll is Pressure by Brian Keene! Here's a place for us to discuss this creature feature. Please use spoiler tags as necessary and happy reading, everyone!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6423 comments Mod
Just ordered this earlier in the week--looking forward to it! :)

VanillaSky | 31 comments I have read about 6 chapters already. The premise is compelling and I'm intrigued by what is lurking down there.(view spoiler)

VanillaSky wrote: "I have read about 6 chapters already. The premise is compelling and I'm intrigued by what is lurking down there.[spoilers removed]"

Vanilla Sky, (view spoiler)

VanillaSky | 31 comments Charlene wrote: "Vanilla Sky, [spoilers removed]"

Oh, haven't thought of that :)

Rune wrote: "Woo! I have to join group reads this month. Looking forward to this one. I want to start The Fireman as well.. Too little time.. :("

Tell me about it!

message 7: by Wayne's (new) - added it

Wayne's (waynesworld) | 115 comments I don't think I have read Keene before, so this will be my first one!

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11269 comments Mod
if I can borrow this or find it in a library, im in but I'm not sure about paying that much for a book I'm unsure about.

message 9: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3401 comments Mod
Not an author I like. I'll sit this one out.

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) I started this last night. Seems a little slow so far, but I'm optimistic!

VanillaSky | 31 comments I have finished the Part One, it's ~57% (view spoiler)

VanillaSky | 31 comments Wayne's wrote: "I don't think I have read Keene before, so this will be my first one!"

It's my first too, and I would like to know what people who are acquainted with his work think about this one :)

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but why is Carrie insisting on free diving when doing so severely limits how much research they need desperately to do and also puts her at much greater risk for no apparent reason that I can see.

VanillaSky | 31 comments Michael wrote: "Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but why is Carrie insisting on free diving when doing so severely limits how much research they need desperately to do and also puts her at much greater risk for no appa..."

Maybe because she's a free diver and this is what she does. And there also were gear problems during her first diving with Peter.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I've ordered this, and I'm hoping to have the time to read it this month when we get back from a trip in a week.

message 16: by Char (last edited Jul 05, 2016 07:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

VanillaSky wrote: "Wayne's wrote: "I don't think I have read Keene before, so this will be my first one!"

It's my first too, and I would like to know what people who are acquainted with his work think about this one :)"

I've only read this Keene book and one other novel, The Complex, so I can't answer that. I'm wondering myself, actually.

Michael Jensen (michaeljensen) I really wanted to like this, but it simply never clicked for me for a number of reasons starting with the creature. I never felt like I got a really good sense of it partly because it was (view spoiler). I also found the explanation of the creature's existence to be incredibly obvious and the fact that Carrie never questions (view spoiler) until the very end made her seem naive at best. Other things go unexplained. What is causing the sea floor to spread threatening Mauritius? Does it have to do with the creature? Does Mauritius ultimately sink?

Ultimately, for me this felt very much as if it was written by the numbers and without much heart. It's my first Keene novel and I can't say I'm Keene to read another.

Just started this today. Probably just me, but I'm not really "feeling" this one yet....

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments I got a text today telling me that my copy has arrived at the library, so I came here to check up on the thread. Not encouraged by what I've read so far, but I read The Terror when it was the HA pick back in March, so . . .

Walter wrote: "I got a text today telling me that my copy has arrived at the library, so I came here to check up on the thread. Not encouraged by what I've read so far, but I read The Terror when it was the HA pi..."

Walter, I'm at 25% now, and it's picking up--reminding me of a "B-movie, creature feature"-- :)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Kimberly wrote: "Walter wrote: "I got a text today telling me that my copy has arrived at the library, so I came here to check up on the thread. Not encouraged by what I've read so far, but I read The Terror when i..."

I'm cool with that. Can always get into a good B movie monster tale. :)

Kimberly wrote: "Walter wrote: "I got a text today telling me that my copy has arrived at the library, so I came here to check up on the thread. Not encouraged by what I've read so far, but I read The Terror when i..."

That's pretty much how I viewed the story as well. Creature Features are fun. :)

message 23: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike Wallace | -86 comments I finished Pressure last night. I'm a total sucker for creature features (check out my website www.antrodemus.net). I thought this novel was pretty good up to the halfway point. The potential for this novel and its concept was really good. The author could have really run with this story. Unfortunately I feel the author took his eye off the ball for too long in the second half and the real story got away from him and he sort of petered out.

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I'm hoping to start today after I finish Mr. Suicide. It's definitely been a light discussion so far...

I finished it, and I did enjoy it as a fun "creature-feature". The beginning and ending were strong, while there was a lull in the action in the middle. Still, I thought it was a good choice for the month! :)

message 26: by Wayne's (new) - added it

Wayne's (waynesworld) | 115 comments I am about 25% and its fun, sometimes you need a light fun read.

Crowinator | 92 comments Being a librarian, I read book reviews all the time, and the funny thing about this book is of the two reviews, one is exceptionally positive (Booklist), and one is meh (Publisher's Weekly). I was really hoping this would be a scary, deep-sea story, kind of like The Deep, but it's not really living up to my expectations. I have about 50 pages left, and while there were a couple of good, tense scenes ((view spoiler)), overall the language is too plain to build any mood of fear or suspense. I also felt like the two halves of the story didn't really mesh. And if Carrie is supposed to be so smart, why is she suddenly TSTL in the second part? (view spoiler)I liked the gory stuff, though -- great limb-rending. (c:

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments I got an unexpected wealth of reading time Monday with severe technical issues at work, so I managed to read this in 3 days. I did enjoy it, but it was the kind of work that you really didn't want to think too much about, or you could easily start to question things. Like most Keene works, it is solid in terms of writing and characters, but the ending felt incredibly predictable to me. I definitely wouldn't put this on top of the list of Brian's works, possibly not even in the top half, so if this is the first of his works you've red and didn't care for it, give him another shot with something like Ghoul or Terminal.

Crowinator | 92 comments Ghoul sounds like something I would enjoy. Since Pressure is the first one of his I've read, maybe I will give it a shot! Thanks!

The ending did tie up neatly, but I am a sucker for (view spoiler) kind of thing.

Robert wrote: "I got an unexpected wealth of reading time Monday with severe technical issues at work, so I managed to read this in 3 days. I did enjoy it, but it was the kind of work that you really didn't want ..."

I've only read two Keene books so far and neither one of them did I take seriously. I enjoyed them both, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel like they were attempting to be "literature."

I think either Ghoul or The Rising will be my next read from him. :)

Charlene wrote: "Robert wrote: "I got an unexpected wealth of reading time Monday with severe technical issues at work, so I managed to read this in 3 days. I did enjoy it, but it was the kind of work that you real..."

I've heard that Ghoul was good, I'm "fairly sure" I haven't read that one...

message 32: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy | 103 comments Crowinator wrote: "Ghoul sounds like something I would enjoy. Since Pressure is the first one of his I've read, maybe I will give it a shot! Thanks!

The ending did tie up neatly, but I am a sucker for [spoilers remo..."

I just read Ghoul last week - I thought it was great. I mean, it's not elite level horror but it's a fun, creepy read. I'm a sucker for coming of age horror anyway...

Michael J. (michaeljclarke) | 348 comments Picked up Pressure a few days ago. It starts a little slow but builds and builds. I've read past page 100 and I'm hooked like a fish!

Michael J. (michaeljclarke) | 348 comments The first part of the book, builds suspense chapter after chapter, then it cranks up after 40 pages or so and doesn't let go. The menace just gets more and more dangerous and frightening. The second part (where I'm reading now) switches gears a little and gets more into the secrecy, cover-up and machinations of the bio-agra corporation. The characters are likable and well-developed. I'm expecting the menace to return again in the coming chapters. I'm really enjoying this, and glad that Horror Aficionados have introduced me to writer Brain Keene. I will definitely look for more of his work.

Michael J. (michaeljclarke) | 348 comments Finished it today, and posted a review on my home page. Really loved the bloody horror when the monsters were featured. Also enjoyed the thriller ending where the evils plans were uncovered and exposed. Disappointed by the predictable two-page epilogue. It was not necessary and spoiled it -- we've all seen this type of ending too many times. It kept me from giving this a five-star rating. Still worth your time

message 36: by Wayne's (new) - added it

Wayne's (waynesworld) | 115 comments As many others have said the novel starts well and draws you into the fictional world. That's as good as it gets unfortunately. The core explanation is just "ordinary" and the way the novel finishes it comes off as rushed and ill conceived. If this were a piece of student writing you would suggest a re write of the second half.

There was enough here to give the writer the benefit of the doubt
and try another of his titles. My biggest problem with the novel in a group read was the very inconsistent characterisation and plot development extremely amateurish, I expected more from a professional writer.

Leslie | 7 comments This was the best in making me excited to read more monster/creature horror! I really liked the middle part of Brian Keene's pressure when it all went to hell in the water! (Takenaka your my boy!!!). Actually the 1st half of this novel was amazing in the build up to the events to come, but the rest was kind of bumpy. For me the horror strayed and I felt like I was reading a thriller instead. This is my second Brian Keene read with the first being a collection of short stories and I'll definitely be reading more. This was a good pick and I look forward to more awesomely picked horror.

message 38: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy Mann | 971 comments Leslie wrote: "This was the best in making me excited to read more monster/creature horror! I really liked the middle part of Brian Keene's pressure when it all went to hell in the water! (Takenaka your my boy!!!..."

I'm with you. Actually, I'm late to the party as I only just got my hands on the book. The story seemed to fall into two parts: the monster in the water, and the human monsters on the land.

Katy wrote: "Leslie wrote: "This was the best in making me excited to read more monster/creature horror! I really liked the middle part of Brian Keene's pressure when it all went to hell in the water! (Takenaka..."

Great way of putting it!!

Leslie | 7 comments Katy your right! Very nice insight.