Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Proposed Schedule for Riyria and Legends of the First Empire

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/series/1106...

So there's two ways to read this. Chronological and published order. I've already read the first three doing the published order. I think more people have done it this way. If a group wants to do it this way and figure out a schedule I'll contribute. If everybody decides to go the other route I will join to read the first three but I probably can't do those until fall.

message 2: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
I have read the first in both series - I would recommend starting with Theft of Swords, but you can go either way.

message 3: by Dan (last edited Jul 01, 2016 10:13AM) (new)

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments I've read the first three in the publishing order as well and I love them so damn much. Just saying!

I'm up for reading the other three(starting with The Crown Tower) sometime as well but what I'm really looking forward by this author is his next series of books, starting with Age of Myth. I'm so hyped for that.
I've just ordered it actually and I'll be getting it in the mail in a week or two.

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I read Age of Myth already. It was excellent.

Jenna you've only read the first book of both trilogies?

message 5: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Scott wrote: "I read Age of Myth already. It was excellent.

Jenna you've only read the first book of both trilogies?"

Yeah, it's a bit weird...I started with The Crown Tower, but decided to go to the published order after reading that one and haven't picked up the second one yet.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan (danstri) | 93 comments Jenna wrote: "Scott wrote: "I read Age of Myth already. It was excellent.

Yeah, it's a bit weird...I started with The Crown Tower, but decided to go t..."

You've read Theft of Sword and weren't compelled to start on the next one right away?! Inconceivable!

message 7: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dan wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Scott wrote: "I read Age of Myth already. It was excellent.

Yeah, it's a bit weird...I started with The Crown Tower, but d..."

I was, but I didn't have the second one and they were out of stock at the bookstore. :( I also had plenty of other books to read!

message 8: by Palash (new)

Palash (naikon) | 1 comments I read Riyria Revealations recently and I would also recommend to read the books in published order, that means Revealations before Chronicles.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I just started reading the crown conspiracy today and it got me hooked from the start. Iam already 20% in. If anybody wants to join iam going to make a thread for it

message 10: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "I just started reading the crown conspiracy today and it got me hooked from the start. Iam already 20% in. If anybody wants to join iam going to make a thread for it"

I read it recently so I will definitely chat about the book while you are reading.

message 11: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Does anyone want to start Chronicles soon? I have read The Crown Tower, but will discuss with you and will read the next two.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Jenna I'd love to read the chronicles but for me october would be the best time

message 13: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jarek wrote: "Jenna I'd love to read the chronicles but for me october would be the best time"

Sounds good - I've read the first one, but will definitely talk about it since I read it in the spring and it's still fresh in my mind. I'll join you after that.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Ok. Great. I think its safe to make a thread for an october 1st start

message 15: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Sorry, can't join as I have to start the Revalations books first.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Dani I don't think you'd be spoiling anything if u read the chronicles first. If something you LL have a fuller experience reading revelations. Sullivan said himself that you can read in whichever order you want:)

message 17: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks Jarek, I know you're right but I had made my mind up to do the RR first but it doesn't really matter regardless because I already have 2 buddy reads coming up this October and given the fact that one of those will the first Malazan book and I also like to read outside the fantasy genre, I'd better not commit to anything else right now. Let's just say that if I'm able to jump in somewhere I will :-).

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments I can understand that. Especially if you're to take on one of the malazan books. I myself am planning to read the way of kings starting Sept and I limited my buddy reads to just one in the first in the demon cycle the warded/painted man

message 19: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments I really wish I could do more but my workload is getting in the way of my leisure time lately :-(.

You, Scott and Jenna are such unbelievably quick readers though. Do you speed-read or something?!

message 20: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Dani wrote: "You, Scott and Jenna are such unbelievably quick readers though. Do you speed-read or something?!"

For me, I just read really often. :)

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Yeah reading often definitely improves your reading speed. For me its also the time I have to read. If its just 15-20 minute session then its a bit slow but if I have say 30 min + it speeds up. Also I read in two languages English and polish. If I read in one of them for too long, when I switch, it takes me some time to mentally adjust back. In the end it depends on a book just as much. For me some, like the yiria books where light speed. I did all six more or less 3days a book. Others like the broken empire ( friggin awesome) like a week and a half. Gardens of the moon...well that took forever;)

message 22: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Yeah you're right, a writer's writing style definitely factors in how quickly you'll get through a book.

The thing you're describing with the mentally having to adjust back, I only have that have that sometimes after talking English to people all day (my managers are Englishmen) and then switching back to Dutch when I get home. Then, I sometimes find myself searching for the Dutch words because I continue to think in English. I do find it a bit weird though... one shouldn't be searching for words in their mother tongue, should they?!

I'm really starting to dread Malazan a bit, to be totally honest... With more and more people saying it requires hard work, I guess Í haven't chosen the best time to start this series, what with work being rather demanding right now. But I'm not backing out of a buddy read I've looked forward to either so I'll just have to be practical and set up some schedule for myself or something. We'll see how it goes.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Oh iam searching for words in polish all the time. although iam Polish i lived in Canada for some years and i feel more comfortable with English than polish. Strange things. There is a very usefull reread on tor.com its the publishers page. check it out

message 24: by Dani (new)

Dani | 577 comments Thanks Jarek, I will definitely check it out.

I guess your mind adjusts to which language you use the most.
How do you like living in Canada?

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Oh man I loved it:) ilive there for about 6 six years.Moved there when I was turning 9. Best time of my life I must say:)

message 26: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 4257 comments Jenna wrote: "Jarek wrote: "Jenna I'd love to read the chronicles but for me october would be the best time"

Sounds good - I've read the first one, but will definitely talk about it since I read it in the sprin..."

I can start the Chronicles in October too. Looking forward to it!

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Great Tammie the more the merrier:)

message 28: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Tammie wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Jarek wrote: "Jenna I'd love to read the chronicles but for me october would be the best time"

Sounds good - I've read the first one, but will definitely talk about it since I read i..."

Awesome!

message 29: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I'm in for Theft of Swords for Oct 1st. I'll be doing it on audio. For those of you who do audit Tim Gerard Reynolds is one of the best. The book is on sale at Audible right now for only $3.99 so that's a great deal.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Scott we were mostly talking about starting the chronicles in Oct:) unless u want to do theft of swords also that's cool:)

message 31: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Aug 28, 2016 01:23AM) (new)

I meant The Crown Tower. They are both on sale I just posted the wrong first book. While the second and third books of chronicles and revelations I never mix up for whatever reason I cannot keep theft of swords and the crown tower straight even though they are nothing alike name-wise.

I've read revelations already.

Jarek "the Mistborn" Dąbrowski (jarekthemistborn) | 408 comments Maybe because the first revelations is the crown conspiracy. Crown tower crown conspiracy:)

message 33: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I think you're probably correct.

message 34: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Too many crowns and too many Scotts = confusion.