The Book Vipers discussion

Book Chat > 2016 Hits and Misses

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5463 comments Mod
Six months gone in 2016 so far! What have your hits and misses been so far this year?

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments Loads of indie books have been hits, read a lot of amazing poetry.

One miss so far , a (not so) brief history in seven (dull) killings. :-)

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Favourites so far this year are The Master and Margarita and Night Waking both of which were fantastic and 5 stars from me.

Luckily I haven't had many bad reads this year so far but Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate was a bit of a lowlight, but not surprising as I knew it wouldn't be my sort of thing before I started so not sure why I bothered really!

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 359 comments Hits for me so far are A Suitable Boy and Fireflies.

Sadly the biggest miss was A Brief History of Seven Killings, all the more so because I had such high expectations of it, the one thing I didn't expect was for it to be so DULL

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 492 comments Mod
My highs have been:
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and Fight Club and then also 4.5 star books - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story and A Quiet Belief in Angels

Quite a few lows for me so far this year:
The Princess Bride, Master of Crows (which was not what I thought it was), The Crying of Lot 49 , Paradise Lost (which just ended up annoying me), The Bone Clocks and also The Other Book

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments My hits this year are:
Dune
Watership Down
Kafka on the Shore

Misses... The Crying of Lot 49

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments I also liked the Sisters Brothers, but I read that last year

message 9: by Jo (new)

message 10: by Joy (new)

Joy Stephenson (joyfrankie) | 463 comments My two favourites of the year so far have been
A God in Ruins and Station Eleven

I didn't much care for The Awakening

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved A God in Ruins

Highs have been: Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Days of Blood & Starlight although I didn't enjoy the last book in that series as much; the Mortal Instruments series, which indulged my soft spot for YA fantasy and The Cuckoo's Calling

Most of what I've read this year has been mediocre. No particularly noteavle lows but a fair few books I could have lived without reading

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
Charlotte wrote: "I loved A God in Ruins

Highs have been: Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Days of Blood & Starlight although I didn't enjoy the last book in that series a..."

How funny, I read this directly after the Kindle Daily Deal email which have books 1-3 of that series on offer today! Off to check them out, despite needing new reads about as much as a hole in the head :)

message 13: by Paul (new)

We all need new reads Lisa!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm forever getting things on the daily offers. My kindle now has over 300 unread books on it. My shelves aren't far behind.

message 17: by Paul (new)

The Marsh Arabs is on my read list for next year for the epic challenge I am undertaking

I removed The Bone Clocks from my TBR after someone whose judgement I trust thought it was dreadful.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 492 comments Mod
I thought the Marsh Arabs was even better than Arabian Sands.

But yes the Bone Clocks was not good, won't be in a hurry to read anything more by him unless I am given a very good reason to.