American Westerns discussion

Chip of the Flying U
This topic is about Chip of the Flying U
Group Reads > July 2016 - Chip of the Flying U

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edwin, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments The USA copyright of this work has lapsed and it is now in the Public Domain. Digital copies can be downloaded from Project Gutenberg.

message 2: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim (timi2u) | 66 comments I'll be reading this one, was able to get it free for kindle.

message 3: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Boeve | 34 comments Read those B.M. Bower books about Chip of the Flying U, the Happy Family, and the Little Doctor when I was growing up. Loved them then.

message 4: by David (new) - added it

David Baldwin | 1 comments Soooo..."Chip of the Flying U" was passably entertaining, but it's literally the stuff my grannie reads. That's cool: I love my nana. But next month let's make it something my uncle--who built himself a house in the woods--might choose instead!

message 5: by Edwin, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments It's got some good elements, likable characters, humor, romance, however it hasn't aged very well, and seems pretty juvenile by todays standards. August will be another free ebook Deer Run Trail by Goodreads author David R. Lewis.

message 6: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim (timi2u) | 66 comments Thanks Edwin, picked it up as a free book on Kindle, and recently loaded a program for Mac to convert ePub books to MOBI files for my Kindle, so I should be able to keep up with the monthly reads as well as adding books to both my western & pulp/noir library.

message 7: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Boeve | 34 comments This reader might enjoy: Where Trails Cross by Milt Cunningham.
Cattle Country and Back Trails by Erwin A. Thompson. The Good ol' Boys and Cloudy in the West by Elmer Kelton. Down the Long Trail by Louis Lamour. I've reviewed most of these under EB. I state I'm the author of Ride a Shadowed Trail. Now reprinted by another publisher, it's titled Along Shadowed Trails.

message 8: by Edwin, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Edwin (edmandu) | 230 comments Thanks for the recommendations Eunice, and congratulations on the new publisher for Ride a Shadowed Trail and Crossed Trails. I see that both are available on the Eunice Boeve Amazon page with their new titles along with your other works.

message 9: by James (new)

James | 9 comments I read this a number of years ago, along with some of the other Happy Family stories, and remember enjoying them, but that's about all I remember. One side-note about B.M. Bower is that she was the great-aunt of Western writer Jory Sherman.