Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > September 2016 Short Story Nominations

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5009 comments Mod
September 2016 Short Story group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

BOOKSHELF: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. Only books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

4. Only one nomination or one second per member. Only books that are seconded will move forward to poll.

5. Nominator is responsible to insure that the edition nominated fits the above requirements.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by Bat-Cat (new)

message 3: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I nominate The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran published in 1923 and 127 pages.

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Not nominating yet....there are 2 books that keep coming close in the polls, both of which I really want to read. Chess Story and A Doll's House, but I'll wait and see for now.

message 5: by Brina (new)

Brina I'll nominate Chess Story (again ;) ). I'd also really like to read this one.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9693 comments Mod
Brina wrote: "I'll nominate Chess Story (again ;) ). I'd also really like to read this one."

I'll second it for you.

message 7: by Warner (new)

Warner West | 45 comments I nominate Daisy Miller.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I'll nominate A Doll's House.

message 9: by Paula W (last edited Jul 01, 2016 09:35PM) (new)

Paula W | 553 comments I would like to nominate Antigone again. Just a reminder, I know this is listed as Theban Play #3, but it isn't necessary to read the other two Theban plays to get this. In fact, I think this was the one written first.

message 10: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Sarah Anne wrote: "I'll nominate A Doll's House."

I'll second this then :)

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen  (jennsps) | 135 comments I will second Antigone.

message 12: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Paula wrote: "I would like to nominate Antigone again. Just a reminder, I know this is listed as Theban Play #3, but it isn't necessary to read the other two Theban plays to get this. In fact, I thin..."

I can vouch that it's great and no you don't have to read the other two. Antigone was written first, but set after Oedipus Rex and Oedipus at Colonus. They're all definitely worth a read.

message 13: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5009 comments Mod
Chess Story has now been nominated 5 times. A Doll's House has now been nominated 6 times. Both have had respectable poll numbers, either one may prove hard to beat. Time to dig deep and find a hidden diamond to nominate.

message 14: by Nathan (new)

message 15: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 830 comments Second Bat-Cat's nomination of The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain.

message 16: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you Matt! ;-)

message 18: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis I second "Daisy Miller".

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Yes Bob, they look a formidable pair of books as they keep proving popular in nominations and polls, but as yet they keep losing out. I quite like it when a book needs several attempts to win, it's dogged determination! All the suggestions look great though and most I haven't read yet, so I'm happy whatever!

message 20: by Luella (new)

Luella | 5 comments Nathan wrote: "I nominate Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg 56p."

I second Howl just heard the audio version by Ginsberg himself this year and it was epic.

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I haven't read any of these yet, and they all sound very interesting. Just a question though, does Everyday Use qualify since the link brought me to a book that is 240 pages?

message 22: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Renee, I think the general consensus is that the majority of editions should meet the page requirements. I'm not 100% but think that one might be too long. You can always nominate it in another category instead :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments "Everyday Use" is a frequently anthologized short story.

At some point, it was published in a book with other of Alice Walker's writings.

The story itself, meets the page limits for a short story BOTM.

message 24: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: ""Everyday Use" is a frequently anthologized short story.

At some point, it was published in a book with other of Alice Walker's writings.

The story itself, meets the page limits for a short story..."

Oh, sorry Andrea. I didn't realise it was a compilation book.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments There's no problem Renee. It's my fault for not making it clear!

message 26: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Andrea, sorry I just noticed that it was you who nominated Everyday Use. Like you say the individual short story is fine for nomination :)

message 27: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4087 comments I second the story Everyday Use.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Kathleen wrote: "I second the story Everyday Use."

Thanks for seconding!

message 29: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonpill) | 122 comments I nominate The Symposium, some editions are over the 130 mark, but mine is 122 pages and that includes endnotes and and an introduction.

It's probably the most literarily interesting of Plato's dialogues and I think would provoke a pretty good discussion.

message 30: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Jul 12, 2016 07:32AM) (new)

Bob | 5009 comments Mod
Nominations are coming to an end this week, here is where we stand.

*books seconded
*The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain, 121 pages, 1916
*Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, 104 pages, 1941
*The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, 127 pages, 1923
*Daisy Miller by Henry James, 126 pages, 1878
*A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen, 122 pages, 1879
*Antigone by Sophocles, 80 pages, -441
*Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg, 56 pages, 1956
*Everyday Use by Alice Walker, 16 pages** Title Story Only, 1974
The Symposium by Plato, 131 pages, -385
*To Build a Fire by Jack London, 32 pages, 1903
*The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy, 86 pages, 4886

**This book has been successfully nominated in the past I'm not going to pretend to know anything about this book. But the table of contents lists the title story at about 16 pages. If you read The Introduction, The Story, and The Background Information the pages look to total about 84. The rest of the book is various Critical Essays. I see no eligibility problems with this story.

message 31: by Duane (last edited Jul 11, 2016 11:54AM) (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments Since short short stories are ok, I would like to nominate one.

To Build a Fire by Jack London.

32 pages. Published 1903

message 32: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 318 comments Duane wrote: "Since short short stories are ok, I would like to nominate one.

To Build a Fire by Jack London.

32 pages. Published 1903"

I second this.

message 33: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments Thanks Sam.

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 318 comments Duane wrote: "Thanks Sam."

Thank you for nominating :)

message 35: by Emerson (new)

message 36: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments I second the Prophet. Gibran is mentioned quite a few times in a book I'm reading.

message 37: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Nargus wrote: "I second the Prophet. Gibran is mentioned quite a few times in a book I'm reading."

Thank you Nargus!!! :)

message 38: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Loretta wrote: "Nargus wrote: "I second the Prophet. Gibran is mentioned quite a few times in a book I'm reading."

Thank you Nargus!!! :)"

No worries :)

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments Emerson wrote: "I'll nominate The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy!"

I second this.

message 40: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Aug 01, 2016 05:21AM) (new)

Bob | 5009 comments Mod
Nominations are CLOSED!

*books seconded
*The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain, 121 pages, 1916
*Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, 104 pages, 1941
*The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran, 127 pages, 1923
*Daisy Miller by Henry James, 126 pages, 1878
*A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen, 122 pages, 1879
*Antigone by Sophocles, 80 pages, -441
*Howl and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg, 56 pages, 1956
*Everyday Use by Alice Walker, 16 pages** Title Story Only, 1974
The Symposium by Plato, 131 pages, -385
*To Build a Fire by Jack London, 32 pages, 1903
*The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy, 86 pages, 4886

Link to Poll: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... - Voting Starts 6/16/16

Winner: The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.