New York Times Groupies discussion

Archived Group Discussions > July: Utopian/Dystopian

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley, Bibliophile (new)

Ashley (anicholsb) | 132 comments Mod
This month we've got two really wide genres.

Utopian: Modeled on or aiming for a state in which everything is perfect; idealistic.

Dystopian: an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one.

Here are some examples:
- Island
- Brave New World
- Divergent
- The Hunger Games

message 2: by Ashley, Bibliophile (new)

Looking for a dystopian read for this month's challenge? Check out this goodreads list.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 3: by Ashley, Bibliophile (last edited Aug 09, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

The City of Ember (Book of Ember, #1) by Jeanne DuPrau

DONE! Yeah, ok: I'm a month late but here's the issue. I read a lot of dystopian novels (I didn't realize this until I went looking for a challenge book) so it was hard to find something I wanted to read that I hadn't read already. While at the library the other day I came across The City of Ember on CD and I was like "BOOM!" I never think of audio books but I drive a lot and it's a great way to get more reading in (I'm sure my friends are thinking "holy crap, she's figured out how to read more???") Since I got this to listen to in the car it should have taken me a few days, but I enjoyed it so much that I kept bringing it into the house to listen to as I did dishes, cooked etc. Finished in two days and I'll be picking up more CDs ASAP.

CHALLENGE COMPLETE!!