Reading 1001 discussion

Season of Migration to the North
This topic is about Season of Migration to the North
Archives > 11. Reviews and Ratings

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Seymour 11. Please post your reviews and ratings here.

message 2: by Diane (last edited Jul 14, 2016 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane Zwang | 1287 comments Mod
5 stars

What a fascinating book, probably the best 139 pages I have ever read. Set in Sudan, the narrator returns from studying abroad in Europe. Upon returning to his home town he meets a stranger, Mustafa Sa'eed, who turns his life upside down. I really enjoyed reading about Mustafa's life journey. I did not find the story predictable in fact when I thought I figured it out something different would happen. The story for me was 4 stars but when I think of all the character development that occurred in such a short book I added a star.

Kristel (kristelh) | 4210 comments Mod
I gave it four stars, Here's my review; The story is set in the 1960s and is told my a young man who has returned to his village on the Nile in Sudan. Back home, he sees a stranger who is not familiar to him, Mustafa Sa'eed. Mustafa has also spent years in London and is a brilliant young man. While in London this man has a series of affairs with European woman, all who are in love with exotic young man from Africa. It is a tale of the violence when two cultures collide. A story of not fitting in the past and not yet ready for future.

message 4: by Diane (last edited Jul 13, 2016 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 5 Stars
Read: 2010

I read this a few years ago, so It isn't fresh in my mind. I do know that I think it is amazing and brilliantly written. There are a lot of different themes and comparisons going on in the book, and a lot to think about. Very powerful for such a short book. I don't think its for everyone, though. I think it is one of those books that you either love or dislike. I loved it and I definitely think it belongs on the list.

Diane Zwang | 1287 comments Mod
Diane wrote: "Rating: 5 Stars
Read: 2010

I read this a few years ago, so It isn't fresh in my mind. I do know that I think it is amazing and brilliantly written. There are a lot of different themes and comparis..."

Like minds, and names, think alike. I really enjoyed this one too.

Book Wormy | 2061 comments Mod
I appear to be out of step with everyone else, I didn't hate it but I also didn't love it, 3 stars from me.

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments 3.5 stars. The writing style was lyrical, and characters were drawn well, as I was not fond of Mustafa, or Jean. The transitions between Mustafa's story and the narrator's were murky at times. But the descriptions of the village, the times, and the political climate were well done.
I liked this, but it didn't blow me away like I'd hoped it would.

message 8: by Pip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pip | 1447 comments When I read that this was one of the most important books written in Arabic and translated into English I was all set to read something important and challenging. My opinion of what I read, however, was that it was a fantasy of East-West sexual politics from a North African perspective which did not leave me feeling that it had anything profound to say. The seducing of gullible Western women by a beautiful, exotic man did not read as anything plausible. That Mustafa may have drowned, committed suicide or simply left was interesting, but ultimately robbed the story of meaning. Additionally the obscure ending when the narrator may or may not have been attempting suicide left the reader with more questions than answers. It was a three star red for me.

Sallys | 38 comments 3 stars
I liked the book but didn't love it. I found parts to be slow but found the story as a whole to be compelling and most of it held my attention.

message 10: by Patrick (new) - added it

Patrick Robitaille | 975 comments Season of Migration to the North (Tayeb Salih) *** 1/2

I quite enjoyed this at times poetic, at times mystical novel centering around the experiences of two men, at different periods, leaving (Muslim) Sudan to study in Europe and returning to their country experiencing personal cultural clashes between North and South. The nested and elliptical structure of the narrative was a bit daunting, but provides the book with an ambience reminiscent of the Arabian Nights. I will need to re-read this.