Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 9. Female Circumcision

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour 9. Analyze the argument about female circumcision. How do the opinions of Wad Rayyes, Bakri, and Bint Majzoub inform their characterization? What is the conversation's broader thematic significance?

message 2: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
The broader theme is the "control and ownership of women" in the village culture.

message 3: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
I agree in village life its about control and ownership it is also about tradition and the belief that it is better.

The other opinions appear to be based on how good sex is with uncircumcised women.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments I agree with both Kristel and BW. The old ways dominated in the village, but it was nice to see dissenting views starting to come out.

message 5: by John (new)

John Seymour I also agree with Kristel (and with Salih) that female circumcision is about control and ownership of women. I don't know that it is limited to village culture.

message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1448 comments I think the broader thematic significance is, as Kristel says, misogyny. The discussion about female circumcision is, however, interesting. Bakri states that circumcision is one of the conditions of Islam, but the much married Wad Rayves disagreed because he had had sex with Nigerian and Ethiopian women who were uncircumcised and had experienced enjoyment. He argued that Egyptian and Syrian women too, were uncircumcised but that they were practising Moslems. Bint Majzoub was noticeably silent during this discussion although she was vulgarly insulting Wad Rayves a few minutes later.