Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 8. Suicide

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour 8. Season of Migration to the North includes at least four suicides. Discuss the relationship between suicide and character development in the novel.

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1289 comments Mod
I think there was a lot of internal struggle with the characters of this story. I will have to think a bit more on this one.

message 3: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
I would agree that it is internal conflict that leads to the suicides

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments Mustafa almost seemed proud that women mentioned him as the reason for their suicides. Our narrator saw all of them as tragic.

message 5: by John (new)

John Seymour Continuing my thoughts on the political level, I wonder if Salih is saying that societies that yield to colonization (the women who loved Mustafa) are committing suicide and that colonizers ultimately destroy themselves as well? I am not sure how to fit the murder-suicide by Hosna into that framework. I think the following may be key:

"There is no justice or moderation in the world. I feel bitterness and hatred, for after all those victims he crowned his life with yet another one, Hosna Bint Mahmoud, the only woman I have ever loved. She killed poor Wad Rayyes and killed herself because of Mustafa Sa'eed."

message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1448 comments It was unbelievable that all these women killed themselves over one man (although Ted Hughes managed two). There were two bloody murders to do with sex. I felt the whole thing was a Arabian fantasy with little of it grounded in reality.

message 7: by John (new)

John Seymour Secret rooms, lots of sex, women killing themselves over men, men killing women over, well, I'm not quite sure, but even the nested stories, yes, it is a tale that could have fit into 1,001 Nights.