Reading 1001 discussion

Season of Migration to the North
This topic is about Season of Migration to the North
Archives > 6. Traveling Abroad

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Seymour 6. Mustafa and the narrator are the only characters who have been to Europe. Compare and contrast their reactions to traveling abroad.

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
Mustafa was taken in by the European culture and his choices were self gratifying. The narrator feels that he has returned without becoming taken in by the European culture.

Diane Zwang | 1289 comments Mod
Both men were affected by their time abroad. I agree with Kristel that Mustafa choices were self-gratifying and self-destroying. The narrator seemed to be caught between the two worlds as well. His response to the murder/suicide was far different than the local community.

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
I think both were influenced by the cultural differences which made them both outsiders in their own countries

Tracy (tstan) | 559 comments I agree with all.

message 6: by John (new) - added it

John Seymour Perhaps Salih was agreeing with Thomas Wolfe - you can't come home again. The person that comes home after living abroad is different and will no longer fit within a traditional culture.

message 7: by Pip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pip | 1450 comments I was thinking exactly that before I read your comment, John. They had both been altered by their experience. Mustafa tried to live a traditional life when he returned. He was unsuccessful, whether you think he committed suicide, drowned, or simply went away again. The narrator was working and living in Khartoum and only returned home for a couple of months a year. So he was living between two worlds.