Reading 1001 discussion

Season of Migration to the North
This topic is about Season of Migration to the North
Archives > 2. Political Participation

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Seymour 2. Season of Migration to the North depicts many kinds of political participation. What obligations does Salih suggest the individual has to his / her country?

Kristel (kristelh) | 4207 comments Mod
He has the obligation to use his education to help the country move forward economically and culturally.

Diane Zwang | 1289 comments Mod
I seem to remember a conversation in which Mustafa states that they should have got a degree that was more practical like a doctor instead of poetry. They mentioned a lack of a mid-wife for their community.

Book Wormy | 2064 comments Mod
There is the idea that education should be for the benefit of the people like doctors however being able to have influence in political circles is also importan.

message 5: by John (new) - added it

John Seymour I also recall that Mustafa chided the narrator for his field of study, but I thought his disdain was particularly focused on English poetry.

I think Salih was suggesting elsewhere that doing something practical was more important than being a bureaucrat.

message 6: by Pip (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pip | 1451 comments The unnamed narrator observed political corruption but was a passive observer, not attempting to improve things. He seemed to me to be a symbol of why Sudan has still not got an effective government. Salih seems to be pointing this out.