Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available for YA/NA Fantasy or Science Fiction

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eline (new)

Eline | 2 comments Hi there!

My name is Eline, I'm 23 and a literature graduate. As a writer myself, I have beta read a couple times for writing buddies.

I prefer to beta YA Fantasy/SciFi but I'll almost read anything that has a interesting hook and characters. So just shoot me a PM and tell me a little about your story.

I'm a quick, devoted reader when I enjoy the story. I'm also pretty straightforward with my opinion, so you need to be okay with that. It's always constructive criticism, so don't worry. And when I tell you I like something, I really mean it.

I would love to work with you on plot, characters and style. As a non-native English speaker, I don't trust myself enough to help you with grammar, though.

message 2: by Eleni (new)

Eleni | 1 comments Hey, I have a 100k sci fi novel ready for a beta if you're interested. It's the first in a trilogy, but if you're not willing to do all three, that's fine. Message me back if you're interested and I'll email you the manuscript.

message 3: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Lincoln | 4 comments Hello, I have a sci-fi with six proto-chapters. I would appreciate some feedback!

message 4: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Lincoln | 4 comments Contact me at rhern500@gmail.com

message 5: by Traci (new)

Traci Loudin (traciloudin) | 6 comments Hello! Here's a quick blurb. It's an epic fantasy. If you're interested, please read more and sign up at the link below.

Ekanen is a good soldier, but when his entire battalion is slaughtered by invading enchanters, he can do nothing to stop them. A lone enchanter throws him from the battlefield, leaving him the sole survivor. Now he must reconcile his people’s desire for vengeance with the knowledge that the enchanters aren’t all fighting on the same side.

Read more about it here

Thanks for your time and consideration!

message 6: by Arjani (new)

Arjani Tusk (arjunatusk) | 11 comments I have a 20K novel in the works that needs to be looked at.
When a vicious A.I infects a bitter young girl, she must battle through seven gates to find a cure or have her mind consumed by it.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara | 29 comments Hi Eline,

I checked out your profile, after reading this post, and see that we have fairly similar reading tastes - so I was wondering if you would have time to beta read my 148,000 word MS? It's book 1 of a trilogy. (I have started book 2 and keep having to tweak book 1, however I think it is as ready as I can make it at the moment.)

Below is a short summary:

FIRST SNOW is a YA romance/fantasy/adventure about overweight seventeen-year-old bookworm and movie-addict Jemma Alder, who is tricked into crossing to another world. Thrown into an almost medieval society, Jemma is forced to join a team on The Quest, led by her crush Aaron Norling. The expedition becomes a struggle for survival, as an unknown enemy strives to prevent their return. Jemma develops physical and emotional strength, and gains the family she thought she’d never have, while falling in love with her friend, Aaron.

Thanks for your time and any help you can offer.
Best wishes,
Lara

message 8: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Barber-Perrotta | 8 comments Hi Eline,

I am hoping you'll consider my YA fantasy novel. I've spent the last two years outlining and developing the world and characters, and just spent the last several months writing. Check out the blurb below and if it sounds like something that might interest you let me know by replying, pm-ing, or emailing me at cvatwood@yahoo.com.

Cassie and her parents have never gotten along. As the perpetual new girl in school she's never had a chance to meet friends or make a name for herself. Her only solace is in abandoned buildings who's memories are stuck in time. But when an accident leads to the man in the charcoal suit informing her she is a magic wielding fairy kidnapped by exiled demons, her entire world is turned upside down. Introduced to Havenforth, a magical kingdom, she thinks she's finally found home, but the "good understanding of magic" fairies soon make it clear that as a foundling Cassie is little better than the demons who raised her. What began as a fairy tale soon becomes a race against time as the conflict between demons and fairies becomes more heated, and the only parents she's ever known face imminent execution. Can Cassie find her true identity in time to save her parents?

message 9: by Michael (last edited Jul 23, 2016 12:49AM) (new)

Michael Grantham (michaelgrantham) | 12 comments Eline wrote: "Hi there!

My name is Eline, I'm 23 and a literature graduate. As a writer myself, I have beta read a couple times for writing buddies.

I prefer to beta YA Fantasy/SciFi but I'll almost read any..."

Hi Eline,
I would love to get some more eyes on my 5K word short story - if your're interested you can email me at zrocool@gmx.com and I'll reply with the story.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Thanks,
Michael

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara (gurlwhowrites) | 14 comments Hi Eline! I'm almost done my most recent WIP which will be an approximately 90k conceptual YA sci/fi. I'm just looking for general feedback on plot, pacing, and characters before I start reworking.

It deals with genetic modification and a more dangerous species of Others who look like humans but are powerful and violently inclined. It deals with themes of humanity, however is mostly adventure and sci/fi, with the main character being a communications agent tasked with reaching out to the Others.

Shoot me an email at: whatleys@xplornet.com if you're interested

message 11: by Mato (new)

Mato Steger (jmsteger) | 18 comments Hi Eline, I wont have a ready manuscript (3rd draft for reading) Until late December. If you have time then please let me know via e-mail: jmsteger09@gmail.com (anyone seeing this interested please email me)

Here is my book blurb:

"Not all Ancient Races look so different. There are those who hide among us. Magic thriving within their veins.
They have many secrets; and those secrets are about to come find Emberlynn Grey, a half-breed who is the first Flame-Walker to be born in nearly Two-Thousand years.
As darkness looms across the land of Etherium, nearly consumed by war, Emberlynn could be their saving grace. But when the masked man, Cinders, kidnaps her to make Emberlynn his heir, she finds herself stuck in a world that is not her own, wanting nothing more than to find a way home."

BOOK TITLE: CINDERS: Child of Etherium
Word Count: 83-95k

Young Adult - New adult - Darker Modern Fantasy
Female Protag. Lots of diversity.

message 12: by Jay (last edited Oct 23, 2016 09:19AM) (new)

Jay Storey (jayallanstorey) | 80 comments Hi, Eline,
I'm looking for a beta reader for my thrilling 75,000 word YA/Science Fiction novel, ‘The Black Heart of the Station’.

Synopsis:

Josh Driscoll, a teenager living in a mysterious underground city known as ‘The Station’, is forced to enroll as a novice monk at Saint Carmine’s, the Station’s resident monastery, as punishment for numerous petty crimes and mischief.

At first desperate to escape, he’s gradually drawn into the monastery’s scriptures, which seem to answer questions about the Station’s origin, now lost in the mists of time. From the scriptures, Josh comes to believe that the ‘Black Heart’, a computer complex of unknown purpose buried in a part of the Station critically damaged centuries ago, is vital to their future survival.

When the governing Council, of which Josh’s own father is a member, announces plans to demolish the Black Heart to open up badly needed living space, Josh forms a movement and leads a desperate battle to stop the demolition.

You can reach me at: jastorey@shaw.ca

Thanks,
Jay

message 13: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) Good morning Eline,

Would love it if you would be willing to beta read our newest novel The Neuromorphs.

Here is a link to the book where you can read a chapter and decide if it is interesting to you.
http://dennismeredith.com/the-neuromo...

The authors blog post here http://wp.me/pjyFJ-vM
explains why beta readers and reviewers are so important and that we do listen!

You can reach me at editor@glyphus.com

Thanks for your consideration,
Joni