Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Beyond Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments We've noticed happily that here we seem to be discussing more topics that don't specifically relate to books.

Feel free to discuss personal news, announcements, and any non-book related items here!

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3832 comments Yay! A new month!
I sadly read a total of 95 pages of A Game of Thrones for the ENTIRE month of June. Managed to get two audio books in on my commute but that's it.

New job is finally settling down. Hopefully July can be a good reading month!

message 3: by Book Concierge (last edited Jul 04, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6291 comments I bought a new car! My 2005 Hyundai Sonata had 128,000+ miles on it ... still ran well, but was showing its age. I got a 2016 Subaru Outback. Feel like I'm driving a truck, it's so HUGE (in comparison to the Sonata). Still learning all the features.

message 4: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I bought a new car! My 2005 Hyundai Sonata had 128,000+ miles on it ... still ran well, but was showing it's age. I got a 2016 Subaru Outback. Fell like I'm driving a truck, it's so HUGE (in compar..."

My last car was a Subaru Forester and I absolutely loved it. AWD is marvelous! I think it will be perfect for those Wisconsin winters. I have not bonded with my current Honda Fit but the mileage is much better. I got stuck several times the first winter because I kept trying to boldly go places a front wheel drive vehicle can't.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6674 comments Congrats on the new job, Joi! what are you doing? Glad you may have more reading time now. Always a good thing!

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6674 comments I have a 2007 Hyundai Veracruz with 138,000 miles. I am considering getting something else, but oddly my motivation is low. Sounds like you are enjoying your new ride!!

message 7: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Congrats on the Outback, I have a 2008 model and except the radio (which isn't very good), I really love it. I mostly listen to podcasts (about books) and audio books now because the radio wasn't great so now I don't miss it.

message 8: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3832 comments Anita wrote: "Congrats on the new job, Joi! what are you doing? Glad you may have more reading time now. Always a good thing!"

Thanks, Anita! I'm now the sales manager at my work (75 room hotel+ event space). So I deal with all the groups booking 10+ rooms, and am the main contact for all meeting, events, and wedding spaces booked here. It's pretty fun, at lot more forward thinking than my old position here.

On a side note- is anyone else's Goodreads feed page glitching? My feed has the top 10 or so posts from the most recent posts (as normal), then sudden jumps to updates and posts that all happened in 2014?

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6674 comments Joi wrote: "Anita wrote: "Congrats on the new job, Joi! what are you doing? Glad you may have more reading time now. Always a good thing!"

Thanks, Anita! I'm now the sales manager at my work (75 room hotel+ e..."

Wow, Joi -- that sounds terrific! Are you enjoying it so far? Congratulations, and I hope it is going really well.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9183 comments I have a new topic. I want to win a giveaway! Has anyone ever won one? I have the dream that one day I will arrive home, and a surprise book will have arrived just for me. A little present. I have probably entered over 50 of them in the last four months to no avail, as of yet. The odds have not yet landed in my favor. Now, I have larger dreams for myself and for the world. If I had a genie in a bottle, a penny in a wishing well, this wouldn't be what I would ask for. World Peace, Human Kindness, a Critical Thinking Compassionate Nation, Cures for Cancer, and health for myself and for my family. A little more financial security. More love in the world. The perfect teaching post. These are my true dreams. But what do I want on the minor level? A few weeks more of summer, a little fun bling, delicious ice cream with no consequences, and a surprise book to land at my door. Friends, pray for the important things first! But if you have any extra humor left, and a little space for the whimsy, pray for the surprise of having a book arrive at your door, and a few sacred moments to enjoy the gift cover to cover. And then savor every other gift, moment, that comes your way. And pass it on - the book and the thought, and random acts of kindness.

message 11: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8943 comments Amy wrote: "I have a new topic. I want to win a giveaway! Has anyone ever won one? ..."

I've never won one here (but I only tried a couple of times before I gave up), but I've won a number of freebies via LibraryThing. It is very exciting. :-)

message 12: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I have won twice here...a picture book and The Nature Principle: Human Restoration and the End of Nature-Deficit Disorder. It's not easy to win them.

message 13: by annapi (last edited Jul 25, 2016 08:31PM) (new)

annapi | 5130 comments Amy wrote: "I have a new topic. I want to win a giveaway! Has anyone ever won one?"

I've had an embarrassment of riches over the years, and especially lately. Over the years with PBT I've won the monthly raffle 3 times. But in just the last month, I won 2 raffles for autographed books - one in the Philippines! (My mom has it and I asked her to send it to my sister in Canada.) Then I won Jen's March Madness game - a total of 8 books plus a $50 Amazon gift card.

Last year (I think it was), I won a gift package for the 50th anniversary of A Wrinkle in Time which consisted of:
a hardcover copy of the 50th anniversary edition
a hardcover copy of the new graphic novel edition
a hardcover omnibus copy of the 5 Time Quartet novels in one volume

Two years or so ago I won a raffle for an autographed copy of Margaret Fraser's last book. Unfortunately I never received it, I think it was lost in the mail. Since she died shortly after that I was too embarrassed to bother her family about it, so I never followed up on it.

message 14: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I've won a GR giveaway book 4 times in the last 4-5 years. I mostly only enter I'd I get a message that a book on my want to read shelf is in a giveaway.

I know they are supposed to be random, but I do review most books that I read so I'm not sure if that "helps". However, I have only read one of the books I got so far.

Recently I also won the ugliest book cover contest for Jen/Bookworm's winter scavenger. However, I do feel that I earned that one since I had to look at that ugly cover every night for almost 2 month ( since I didn't particularly like the book either ;-)

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6291 comments I haven't entered the GR Giveaway in a long time, but I did win several times. I review and rate every book I read, and I DO think that helps. I think the huge increase in membership on GR over the last couple of years has really made the odds of winning much lower.

message 16: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1414 comments I've never won on Goodreads, but I have won blog giveaways and won the raffle at author signings a few times. It's so much fun to win!

I also have another topic. I'm in a slump of all slumps. I seem to be only reading short books or graphic novels. Other books aren't holding my attention right now. I just want to turn my brain off so I veg out in front of the TV when I get home from work. I miss reading, but I can't seem to do it. Does anyone have any advice?

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9183 comments Jenni, you can't force a book to call to you. The invitation must be gentle. I have one piece of advice. Get good tv show recommendations. Good character and plot will re-entice you toward your Storying mind. Hope that helps, Amy

message 18: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "I've never won on Goodreads, but I have won blog giveaways and won the raffle at author signings a few times. It's so much fun to win!

I also have another topic. I'm in a slump of all slumps. I se..."

I'm not a big re-reader, but re-read a favorite or maybe a new book by a fav author