Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
120 views
Archives Retired Folder Threads > September 2016 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments September 2016 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only one nomination OR one second, per member. Only books that have been seconded will advance to polls.

4. Nominations will remain open until the 14th July; polls will open on the 16th and run until 31st July 2016.


message 2: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I nominate The Pickwick Papers.


message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments I have a terrible record wrt Old School polling (with all my recent Nominations and Seconds finishing either bottom or next to bottom!) but am I downhearted? No! ;o)

let's see if I can do any better by...

Nominating...

Dom Casmurro by Machado de Assis ("widely regarded as the most important writer of Brazilian literature")
Dom Casmurro by Machado de Assis


message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments That's the spirit Darren! Try, try and try again!

I can't quite believe that The Odyssey won the August poll, as we've only ever had 3 non 19th century winners for Old School-

Beowulf April 2015
Robinson Crusoe August 2013
King Lear October 2012

Anyway, I'm off to check out your nomination now and then probably suggest some Victorian lit myself! :)


message 5: by Gill (last edited Jul 01, 2016 06:51AM) (new)

Gill | 36 comments Darren wrote: "I have a terrible record wrt Old School polling (with all my recent Nominations and Seconds finishing either bottom or next to bottom!) but am I downhearted? No! ;o)

let's see if I can do any bett..."

I'll second this one, Darren. Here's a link to a free downloadable copy of the book (there are several books, you just need to click on the arrow until you come to Dom Casmurro:

http://ebook.visitbrasil.com/detalhe....


message 6: by Brina (new)

Brina Darren I would read that as well. I'd like to find a Portuguese/English copy so I can brush up on my Portuguese.


message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments Gill - Good Work with that link :o)
Brina - I think it's fairly easy to get hold of Portuguese copies
I struggled a bit to find an English copy at a decent price but bagged one eventually! ;o)


message 8: by Warner (new)

Warner West | 45 comments I nominate Barchester Towers.


message 9: by Gill (new)

Gill | 36 comments Darren wrote: "Gill - Good Work with that link :o)
Brina - I think it's fairly easy to get hold of Portuguese copies
I struggled a bit to find an English copy at a decent price but bagged one eventually! ;o)"


I joined in a readalong of The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas in another GR group, Darren. That's when I got the link.


message 10: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments Pink wrote: "That's the spirit Darren! Try, try and try again!

I can't quite believe that The Odyssey won the August poll, as we've only ever had 3 non 19th century winners for Old School-

[book:..."


It was really close. I almost went with The Professor, but went with The Odyssey just because of the conversations in the Buddy Read thread. Enthusiasm makes a difference!


message 11: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2384 comments I'll nominate Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola.


message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1979 comments Gill wrote: "I joined in a readalong of The Posthumous Memoirs of Brás Cubas in another GR group, Darren. That's when I got the link."

Wahey! a free download of Bras Cubas! Thanks Gill :o)

now... if only I could find a copy of The Devil to Pay in the Backlands my life would be complete! ;o)


message 13: by Brina (new)

Brina Since Don Cascurro was already seconded, I'm going to nominate The Merchant of Venice.


message 14: by Luella (new)


message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Melanti wrote: "I'll nominate Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola."

I'll second this!


message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "I nominate The Pickwick Papers."

I'll second this one! It's been a while since I've read Dickens and this is one I haven't read yet.


message 17: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Thank you Renee! ;-)


message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments I'll nominate The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri published in 1320 and 798 pages.


message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments Loretta wrote: "I'll nominate The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri published in 1320 and 798 pages."

I second The Divine Comedy.

Its on my challenge list so I have to read it one way or another, but I'd prefer to be able to discuss it.


message 20: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Sarah wrote: "Loretta wrote: "I'll nominate The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri published in 1320 and 798 pages."

I second The Divine Comedy.

Its on my challenge list ..."


Thank you Sarah! :)


message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim | 190 comments Luella wrote: "Utopia"

I'll second Luella's pick. I recently added this to my informal TBR and while I wasn't planning on getting to it soon, I'll bump it up if it wins for a group read. :)


message 22: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments Brina wrote: "Since Don Cascurro was already seconded, I'm going to nominate The Merchant of Venice."

I second The Merchant of Venice.


message 23: by Ciera (new)

Ciera (cfree7) | 142 comments I would like to nominate The Art of War


message 24: by Luella (new)

Luella | 5 comments Kim wrote: "Luella wrote: "Utopia"

I'll second Luella's pick. I recently added this to my informal TBR and while I wasn't planning on getting to it soon, I'll bump it up if it wins for a group re..."


Thank you! :)


message 25: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis Warner wrote: "I nominate Barchester Towers."

Second.


message 26: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Ciera wrote: "I would like to nominate The Art of War"

Second.


message 27: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 348 comments I would like to nominate Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare.


message 29: by Val (new)

Val | 20 comments I'd like to add my vote to The Art of War. I keep running across references to this book lately, and that's usually a sign I just need to dive into it!


message 30: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments I nominate The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett.

Published 1896
247 pages


message 31: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4087 comments Duane wrote: "I nominate The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett.

Published 1896
247 pages"


Oh yes! I'll second this. I've been wanting to read it--sounds just lovely.


message 32: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Kathleen wrote: "Duane wrote: "I nominate The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett.

Published 1896
247 pages"

Oh yes! I'll second this. I've been wanting to read it--soun..."


Added :)


message 33: by Duane (new)

Duane (tduaneparkeryahoocom) | 296 comments Thanks for the second Kathleen.


message 34: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonpill) | 122 comments I'll second Antony & Cleopatra.


message 35: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Jon wrote: "I'll second Antony & Cleopatra."

I've amended the post above, as of this moment, all nominations have been seconded. There are three days left to get your suggestions in.


message 36: by Pink (last edited Jul 15, 2016 06:16AM) (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Nominations are now closed. All 10 nominated books made it through to polls, which will open on the 16th of July 2016 and run until the end of the month.

Link here to vote


message 37: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Our winning book for September 2016 is The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare.


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.