Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > Nominations for September 2016 read - Winner!

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9279 comments Mod
It's time to nominate for our September group read! You are welcome to nominate books by Golden Age authors, or titles which were written later but are set during the Golden Age.

Just one nomination per group member, please. Happy nominating!

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Having just read and enjoyed an Arthur Upfield mystery, I will nominate the first in the series (which it turns out I have never read before) - The Barrakee Mystery, first published in 1929. For those unfamiliar with this series, it features the unconventional police inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, a half white, half aboriginal detective who is a master of bushcraft in the Australian outback.

message 3: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1413 comments Leslie wrote: "Having just read and enjoyed an Arthur Upfield mystery, I will nominate the first in the series (which it turns out I have never read before) - The Barrakee Mystery, first published..."

I had just been thinking of how I didn't think it was going to be that easy to find. Several years ago I was looking for some of Upfield's and having difficulty. I see now however that this and at least a couple of others are now on Kindle. That's great. I read one several years ago that I picked up at a used book sale and have a few that I have gotten from used book stores. Good to see them more available.

message 4: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Jul 01, 2016 02:01PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 610 comments A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn, #1) by Ngaio Marsh I have another one It's the first of the Alleyn mysteries. I don't think I have ever read it - the blurb doesn't sound at all familiar.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 876 comments I would like to return to nominating Michael Innes (J. I. M. Stewart), this time Death at the President's Lodging, published in 1936. It is the first of the Inspector Appleby mysteries and has an academic setting. It was also known in the United States as Seven Suspects.

message 6: by Judy (last edited Jul 01, 2016 03:02PM) (new)

Abigail wrote: "I would like to return to nominating Michael Innes (J. I. M. Stewart), this time Death at the President's Lodging, published in 1936."

I've just read that one and enjoyed it - a wittily written academic mystery.

message 7: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Leslie wrote: "Having just read and enjoyed an Arthur Upfield mystery, I will nominate the first in the series (which it turns out I have never read before) - The Barrakee Mystery, first published..."

Wow. An Upfield I don't have. I thought I had most of them, if not all. I really enjoy him! Especially when he goes "bush" in order to solve a mystery.

message 8: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Leslie wrote: "Having just read and enjoyed an Arthur Upfield mystery, I will nominate the first in the series (which it turns out I have never read before) - The Barrakee Mystery, first published..."

My library has both Kindle and epub versions of it available for me to borrow for free.

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2924 comments Mod
Everyman wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Having just read and enjoyed an Arthur Upfield mystery, I will nominate the first in the series (which it turns out I have never read before) - The Barrakee Mystery, ...
My library has both Kindle and epub versions of it available for me to borrow for free.
"

I can "read" happiness in that post!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 10348 comments Mod
The Secret Adversary The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence, #1) by Agatha Christie

As I have just downloaded this for free, it seems to be a sign I should nominate it...

This is Book 1 in the Tommy and Tuppence series.

Hiring themselves out as “young adventurers willing to do anything” is a smart move for Tommy and Tuppence. All Tuppence has to do is take an all-expenses-paid trip to Paris and pose as someone named Jane Finn. But with the job comes a threat to her life, and the disappearance of her mysterious employer. Now Tuppence’s newest job is playing detective—because if there’s a Jane Finn that really exists, she’s got a secret that’s putting both their lives in danger.

Some great nominations again this month and I'd be happy with any of them.

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1413 comments Susan wrote: "The Secret AdversaryThe Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence, #1) by Agatha Christie

As I have just downloaded this for free, it seems to be a sign I should nominate it...

This is Book 1 in the Tommy and Tupp..."

They are currently showing the recent production on PBS.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Yes, as you say, Jan, also free to download in the States at the moment.

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen (read247_instyle_inca) (read247_instyle_inca) | 10 comments New to the group, would definitely be interested in the Tommy and Tuppence since I recently added it to my kindle.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Susan wrote: "Yes, as you say, Jan, also free to download in the States at the moment."

This title is always free as it is one of the few books by Christie in the public domain.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Public domain laws seem to vary a lot between countries - in the UK, copyright only expires 70 years after an author's death, so everything by Christie will be in copyright here for another 30 years.

message 16: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Judy wrote: "Public domain laws seem to vary a lot between countries - in the UK, copyright only expires 70 years after an author's death, so everything by Christie will be in copyright here for another 30 years."

It's shorter, I believe, in Australia; that's why http://gutenberg.net.au/ is able to offer e-books that aren't available in the US, or probably also not in the UK.

message 17: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 63 comments Just downloaded it. Thanks for mentioning the free part. I'm on board for The Secret Adversary if it is chosen.

message 18: by Judy (new)

The poll is now up. Happy voting!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 610 comments Faster than a speeding bullet I voted! :)

message 20: by Susan (new)

Great choices and no splitting of the vote this time. I could happily read any of them.

message 21: by Judy (new)

Very close in early voting - it's neck and neck between Christie and Marsh!

message 22: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments I had voted for the Secret Adversary because I wanted to try a Tuppence mystery. But I downloaded it and started reading it, and after about six chapters I have to admit that I changed my vote.

message 23: by Susan (new)

Fair enough, Everyman. I've never read a Tuppence mystery either, so I will certainly try it, whether it wins or not. I like the Marsh and Appleby novels, but have already read them. The other book I don't know at all, but it looks interesting.

I admire your being able to abandon a book - I am a 'read to the bitter end,' kind of reader! I need to get to the finish, whether I like it or not :)

message 24: by Judy (new)

I read the Tommy and Tuppence one very recently when it was on TV, and enjoyed it, but have voted for Marsh because it's much longer ago that I read that one and I don't remember much about it.

I used to be a 'read to the bitter end' reader too, but have now started giving up on books if I really don't get on with them - there are so many other books waiting! :)

message 25: by Susan (new)

I know, I agree, Judy - but mostly I am reading them for review and so I feel I need to finish them and it has become a habit!

message 26: by Judy (new)

Goodness, it's now a dead heat between Christie and Marsh - but plenty of time to go before the poll closes!

message 27: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1413 comments I've read them both. But I think I was re-reading Secret Adversary several years ago and put it down for some reason. So, should that win I will need to locate it.

message 28: by Jill (last edited Jul 17, 2016 03:57PM) (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2146 comments I have just changed my vote as I cannot see the one I chose being picked. Having read the Christie , I have gone for Marsh.

message 29: by LindaH (new)

LindaH | 63 comments I changed my vote. I love Ngaio Marsh. Free schmee!

message 30: by Judy (new)

We have a winner! It's A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh.

There was also strong support for other nominations - a great poll.

Full results:

A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn, #1) 12 votes, 41.4%
The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence, #1) 8 votes, 27.6%
Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby, #1) 8 votes, 27.6%
The Barrakee Mystery 1 vote, 3.4%

message 31: by Susan (new)

Look forward to re-reading this one - I have loved the Ngaio Marsh novels I've read before.

message 32: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 876 comments I look forward to this—have never read a Ngaio Marsh, though many friends have recommended her.

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 104 comments I haven't read her in years. It will be good to revisit her

message 34: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments For those who have read it and are ready to watch a BBC film of it, here it is in its entirely in their Alleyn series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2emyk...

message 35: by Everyman (new)

Everyman | 540 comments Abigail wrote: "I look forward to this—have never read a Ngaio Marsh, though many friends have recommended her."

She was still a bit feeling her way into her writing when she wrote this one. It's good, but I think some of her later ones are even better, so if you aren't that impressed with A Man Lay Dead (not that it's bad, not at all, it's good, but maybe just not great) try some of her later ones before you write her off.

message 36: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 876 comments Will do, thanks for the advice, E’man!

message 37: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Looking forward to this one!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 610 comments Other than Agatha Christie, I think most of the Golden Age writers first books were a bit...unpolished. Dorothy L Sayers, Georgette Heyer, Christianna Brand... So I'm prepared for it with Ms Marsh. :)

message 39: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 592 comments Everyman wrote: "Abigail wrote: "I look forward to this—have never read a Ngaio Marsh, though many friends have recommended her."

She was still a bit feeling her way into her writing when she wrote this one. It's ..."

Good advice -- I love Marsh's mysteries but this one doesn't stand out.

message 40: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 37 comments Really pumped about this one ! Now I just need to buy it ^^