Captivating Chapters Book Club discussion

July 2016 > Sharp Objects Chapters 14-Epilogue Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Makayla (last edited Jun 30, 2016 08:04PM) (new)

Makayla | 33 comments Mod
Here is the section where we will discuss chapters 14-Epilogue of Sharp Objects. This is a SPOILER section, so if you haven't read all the way through the book yet, you might not want to read the comments. Please participate in the discussion as soon as you finish these chapters. Thanks!

P.S. There is also a spoiler-free discussion, if you'd like to check that out. Just look in the July 2016 folder.

message 2: by Desmondella (new)

Desmondella (treasuryoftomes) That ending had me reeling. Oh my gosh... I knew something was up with Amma. But also her mom. This was such a creepy, messed up novel. xD

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 7 comments It was pretty creepy. That seemed to be the whole point of the book. I felt like the writer was detached from the ending. It felt like that last 100 pages or so lost a lot of the momentum that made the beginning of the book so good.

We pretty much only had the narrator, the mother, and Amma for characters, so nothing felt like a surprise. The dollhouse obsession. Marian's sickness. I liked the story, but if Flynn wasn't so prosaic, then I probably would've put this down just after halfway through the novel.

She clearly is a good writer, so I probably will pick up Dark Places and Gone Girl at some point.

message 4: by Mags (new)

Mags wow... I knew Adora and Amma were seriously hiding things. I knew Amma liked to hurt but I still thought that her mother was the one who did all of it. When actually, Amma was seriously psycho..
Those 3 last chapters were so crazy. The only thing is that I personally though the ending got too quick, as if Gillian Flynn just rushed through it. But it was still a really good book and I was introduced to a genre I don't often am interested to :) so thanks for that.
The author is amazing and I'll probably pick up dark places. Since Gone Girl was as fantastic.
Also, is it just me but the doll house thing really grew into me? Like, I knew from the beginning something was wrong with it and it was so mysterious but the more I read the more I thought it was a really nice touch from Gillian.
The plot was great! And real' happy of the ending n-n

message 5: by Mags (last edited Jul 24, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Mags by the way I'm sorry about being so late xD But my book only arrived 3 days ago when it was supposed to come in the mail 3 WEEKS ago -.-

message 6: by Makayla (new)

Makayla | 33 comments Mod
Maggie wrote: "by the way I'm sorry about being so late xD But my book only arrived 3 days ago when it was supposed to come in the mail 3 WEEKS ago -.-"
You're not late at all haha. You had the whole month to read it!
And I agree with you about the book being somewhat rushed. I wish the book was just a little bit longer so that the plot could stretch out a little more. I also thought the doll house was very weird at first, but I didn't suspect the ending like that.

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 7 comments I agree with everything you guys said :) Thanks for contributing Maggie. I'll have to pick up Gone Girl for sure