Captivating Chapters Book Club discussion

July 2016 > Sharp Objects Chapters 1-3 Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Makayla (last edited Jun 30, 2016 08:02PM) (new)

Makayla | 33 comments Mod
Here is the section where we will discuss chapters 1-3 of Sharp Objects. This is a SPOILER section, so if you haven't read all the way through chapter 3 yet, you might not want to read the comments. Please participate in the discussion as soon as you finish these chapters. Thanks!

P.S. There is also a spoiler-free discussion, if you'd like to check that out. Just look in the July 2016 folder.

message 2: by Desmondella (new)

Desmondella (treasuryoftomes) This book started off really creepy and odd and so far it's kept that up throughout these chapters. I feel like this town should be the setting of an old, messed up horror movie. A place that everyone avoids. To top it off, the murders were so ruthless and twisted.

Camille seems really closed off and distant and not many people seem to like her much or even think she's worth anything.

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 7 comments Everyone you got to start reading this book! It is very prosaic even if the main character can dwaddle. She seems super realistic so far. I'm on the verge of Chapter 8, and Gillian Flynn has been able to keep momentum going.

1st 3 chapters specifically -
1) seems like it gives you a decent background
2) doesn't seem to foreshadow everything (some stuff about the main character will surprise you)

Even though there are some things that I wouldn't write myself, I feel like Gillian Flynn seems to breathe life into a classic plot line. Enjoy!

message 4: by Makayla (new)

Makayla | 33 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Everyone you got to start reading this book! It is very prosaic even if the main character can dwaddle. She seems super realistic so far. I'm on the verge of Chapter 8, and Gillian Flynn has been a..."
I definitely agree with you about all that. I thought the first few chapters was a great intro to the novel overall. And like you said, there were a few things that were a little weird.. But it was written pretty well in whole.