Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Like There's No Tomorrow
This topic is about Like There's No Tomorrow
Archived Group Reads 2016 > July Book of the Month - Like There's No Tomorrow by Camille Eide

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2157 comments Mod
One of our July Books of the Month is Like There's No Tomorrow by Camille Eide!

What it's about:
What if loving means letting go?

Scottish widower Ian MacLean is plagued by a mischievous grannie, bitter regrets, and an ache for something he’ll never have again. His only hope for freedom is to bring his grannie's sister home from America. But first, he'll have to convince her lovely companion, Emily, to let her go.

Emily Chapman devotes herself to foster youth and her beloved Aunt Grace. Caring for others quiets a secret fear she holds close to her heart. But when Ian appears, wanting to whisk Grace off to Scotland, everything Emily needs to protect—including her heart—is at risk.

Set in central Oregon’s high desert and the lowlands of Scotland, Like There’s No Tomorrow is an amusing yet heart-tugging love story about two kind, single caretakers, two quirky, old Scottish sisters bent on reuniting, and too many agendas. It’s a tale of family, fiery furnaces, falling in love, faith, and the gift of each new day.

.....................................................................................................................

Chime in if you're planning on joining in! I started this one on my lunch break, and I'm greatly enjoying it so far. :)

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis | 51 comments Beth, I hope others are reading this book because I thought it was fantastic. Reading is very subjective, of course, but Camille is an excellent writer of character-driven stories - to me, at least. I've read three of her books this year and can highly recommend all of them.

Have you finished yet, Beth?

message 3: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2157 comments Mod
I hope so, too! I am at 70% and have found that each time I read the pages (or Kindle swipes) are just flying by. It's very good! And you're right, the characters are leaping off the page - their emotions are so well-portrayed. I really feel for Emily and Ian and can understand both perspectives. I hope I can finish it tonight, but if not, definitely tomorrow.

This is my first read of her books - which one is your favorite (if you can pick!)?

Jane | 170 comments I'm excited -- going to try to start this book tonight or tomorrow!

message 5: by Carole (last edited Jul 07, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Carole Jarvis | 51 comments Beth, the first book I read was The Memoir of Johnny Devine, and I was eager to read more from Camille. It wasn't long before Like There's No Tomorrow and also Like a Love Song came up for tour and I jumped at the chance to review them. All three are on my favorites list, so I guess it would be hard to pick a favorite. However, Joe - the lead character in Like a Love Song, played guitar and loved to worship, so that might give this book a very slight edge.

Here's my review of Like a Love Song: http://booksmusicandlife.blogspot.com...

You'll also see a couple of graphics at the bottom that I just had to create. Be sure to click on them for a much larger view.

message 6: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2157 comments Mod
Jane wrote: "I'm excited -- going to try to start this book tonight or tomorrow!"

Yay! Glad you're joining!

message 7: by Carole (new)

Carole Jarvis | 51 comments Jane wrote: "I'm excited -- going to try to start this book tonight or tomorrow!"

Hope you enjoy it, Jane. If you like character-driven stories with a clear gospel message, you should enjoy it.

Jane | 170 comments Lovely review Carole. I've got Like a Love Song waiting on my kindle and am looking forward to reading it.

message 9: by Carole (last edited Jul 07, 2016 07:29PM) (new)

Carole Jarvis | 51 comments Jane wrote: "Lovely review Carole. I've got Like a Love Song waiting on my kindle and am looking forward to reading it."

Thank you, Jane. I've got a LOT on my Kindle, don't dare say how much! I sent you a friend request because I think we enjoy a lot of the same things. Just saw some cats on your Pinterest board ... and I'm crazy about them. Have two sweet solid black kitties of my own.

Staci | 1341 comments I've just started this one. I've also read The Memoir of Johnny Devine and really enjoyed it!

Staci | 1341 comments Just finished! Sweet story.

message 12: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2157 comments Mod
I finished this one a few days ago - definitely an encouraging and uplifting read, and what a sweet romance! I plan on posting some discussion questions tomorrow, but feel free to post any comments or questions of your own since we're basically mid-month at this point. :)

message 13: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2157 comments Mod
Discussion questions! Please feel free to add your own questions and comments!

1. How many times does honeysuckle appear in the story? What does its increasing presence symbolize?

2. God is the Master of irony. How many instances of irony can you find in this story?

3. Ian's inability to forgive affected his relationship with God. How might praying for an offender or an enemy bring you closer to God?

4. When Ian and Emily met, they felt an instant attraction to each other. But was it truly instant? How did years of correspondence affect Ian and Emily's ability to fall in love? Is it possible to know a person and their character through letters/email well enough to engage in a relationship? Why or why not?

5. Though Emily's fears kept her from getting involved in romantic relationships, she hesitated to find out if she had the illness. Why did Emily avoid learning the truth?

6. Emily vowed to save her first kiss for her husband out of a desire to keep her heart from feeling "tied" to someone she might no marry. What harm is there, if any, in engaging in physical intimacy and creating emotional bonds with multiple people?

7. Could you relate to Emily's fears? Ian's bitterness? Do they remind you of yourself or someone you know?

8. How did getting lost in the wood symbolize Emily's life? What impact did that realization have on her choices later on?

9. How does Ian's attitude toward Maggie change? Did she acknowledge this change?

10. How did Grace and Maggie's physical or mental limitations affect their relationship when they were reunited? How did being together bring out each woman's own strengths?

11. What part did Emily's faith in God play in her decision to withdraw from her loved ones? How would you respond in Emily's situation?

12. Ian believed he could be strong for Emily and that she should lean on him, but that belief changed. What caused that change? What affect did it have on Ian's desire to win Emily?

13. Have you ever been challenged to let go of your greatest desire, or to face your worst fear? How did you handle it? After reading this story, would you do it differently?

14. Did any part of the story make you stop and think about your own life or your faith in God? If so, what part and why? Did this lead to an awareness of some aspect of your life you might not have thought about before?

message 14: by Staci (last edited Jul 16, 2016 08:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Staci | 1341 comments 1. Honeysuckle appeared in the story many times and created an imagine in my mind. I could also smell the honeysuckle. I've no idea of the symbolism.

3. I loved how Ian learned that by forgiving his late wife's father he was not only doing what was right, but also healing his own heart.

4. Ian and Emily got to know each other through their correspondence over the years. However, each of them had a vision of the other that was very off base. Can true love happen through letters? I think that can certainly spark a relationship, but not sure if one would fall in love through just letters.

6. Emily saving the first kiss for her husband made me think of Fireproof and how Kirk Cameron would only kiss his wife and not the actress portraying his wife in the movie. His wife was in the kissing scene at the end and that is why you only see the back of her head. I think it is important to set boundaries in advance for relationships knowing you'll ultimately marry someone and it may not be the one you have a current relationship with.

Ian initially saw Maggie as a burden and an impediment toward reaching his goals. He later came to see her as a blessing. I loved Maggie. She was quite a character!!

13. I am not a fan of heights. It's not so much being high up that bothers me. It is looking over the edge. A family vacation to the Grand Canyon forced me to confront my uneasiness. The Grand Canyon is so beautiful. While I didn't relish looking directly down, I did enjoy God's grandeur while looking out. :-)

One thing I initially struggled with in the novel was the language. I read a number of novels that have different languages so I'm not sure why the Scottish language bugged me a bit at first. I kept hearing Mrs. Doubtfire in my mind and of course "she" was faking the accent. After a few chapters though I settled in to it and the Scottish language added to the novel. Also on language the use of the word "cert" made me pause each time it was used. Perhaps because it's not a term I hear much.

LOVED the title and the meaning once that became clear. I adore it when the title has a specific meaning like this one did. Perhaps my favorite book title with meaning is Not in the Heart by Chris Fabry.

I enjoyed Like There's No Tomorrow and look forward to reading Like a Love Song.

message 15: by Camille (new) - added it

Camille Eide (camille_eide) | 15 comments Staci, I'll never cease to be amazed at the healing power of forgiveness. Ian's discovery is based on personal experience.

On Kirk Cameron: I did not know that. What a powerful testament to a man's commitment to his wife!

On Maggie: she's one of my favorite characters. :)

message 16: by Camille (new) - added it

Camille Eide (camille_eide) | 15 comments Thank you, Beth. I'm honored that Like There's No Tomorrow is a Book of the Month selection. I'd be happy to discuss the story and answer any questions that arise. Thanks for inviting me to take part!

Helen (hglotzbach) | 2 comments I recently joined this group and just finished this. What a delightful and inspiring story! I loved the characters.

message 18: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2157 comments Mod
Helen wrote: "I recently joined this group and just finished this. What a delightful and inspiring story! I loved the characters."

Welcome, Helen! I'm so glad you loved it - I completely agree - it was both an inspiration and a delight! Very encouraging to read.

message 19: by Camille (new) - added it

Camille Eide (camille_eide) | 15 comments Helen wrote: "I recently joined this group and just finished this. What a delightful and inspiring story! I loved the characters."

Thank you, Helen, and welcome to CFD!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Like There's No Tomorrow (other topics)
Like a Love Song (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Camille Eide (other topics)