Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry, #1)
This topic is about A Kiss of Shadows
Archive (BOTM) > July 2016 Adult BotM: A Kiss of Shadows

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments Please use this thread to discuss the July 2016 Adult Group Read: A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton

Remember to use the spoiler HTML code to hide any spoilers!

message 2: by Whitney (new) - added it

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 80 comments I read the first book in the Anita series and it was pretty interesting so I'm looking forward to reading this one. Hopefully I can participate.

Stephanie Bolen (jadeaaustin) | 6 comments It's nothing like the first book of the Anita series, it's like most of the books after Incubus Dreams. But it's a good book and good series, I'm a fae fanatic and really like Hamilton's take on them.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I think i will check this out this month

Cindy | 243 comments I really have enjoyed the portion of this series I've gotten through. (I think I've read the first two or three...)

Manuel So, I've read the first four chapters now and I'm really enjoying it. I've read a few of the Anita books and somehow, Laurell K. Hamilton always seems to grab me and I can't put the book down.

Aly is so frigging bored | 21 comments I tried the Anita series, hated it... I think I'll try this one as well, to see how it goes :D

message 8: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Street (lizastreet) | 9 comments I think I've read this before, but only some details are familiar. I'm halfway through this (maybe) re-read. The beginning bugged me, and every now & then I come to a scene where I roll my eyes because it's just an excuse for the main character to kiss some other dude. BUT--and this is a huge BUT--I can't seem to stop reading! What is it about LKH's books? I read all the Anita Blake books up through Micah, and I didn't love them but I also couldn't seem to stop. I wish I knew her secret. Anyone have ideas?

Manuel I don't know, I've got the same problem too..... Every few pages, Merry has another guy, but I still can't put the book down.
Why did the beginning bug you? Or which part of the beginning exactly?

message 10: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Street (lizastreet) | 9 comments Manuel wrote: ...Why did the beginning bug you? Or which part of the beginning exactly?"

Rats, I just finished & returned it to the library so I can't look for specific passages. For me, it was something about Merry's narration. She comes off a bit as a Mary Sue right from the start, and she sounds a lot like Anita Blake as far as attitude & worldview (although slightly less cheesy--no phrases like "peachy keen"). Also, there's too much description of clothing & appearances throughout, for my tastes.

That said, I was riveted! It was a strange read--all of the fae/sidhe details were very cool. So creative. Queen Andais was terrifying yet complex, & I really liked the way she was characterized.

Manuel I just finished it and I really liked it. I'm definitely going to read the second one too :)

Elaine Howlin (elainehowlinbooks) Liza wrote: "Manuel wrote: ...Why did the beginning bug you? Or which part of the beginning exactly?"

Rats, I just finished & returned it to the library so I can't look for specific passages. For me, it was so..."

LKH goes nuts for clothes and appearance descriptions! It makes me wonder if she does it just to increase her word count.

Elaine Howlin (elainehowlinbooks) I loved this book, it's one of my favourites! Not too keen on the most recent books in the series, though.

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I'm a little late to the game, but I finally just started and I'm about 1/4 of the way though.

I can absolutely see that LKH has a definite style to her writing. It's almost as if I was reading another Anita Blake novel.

I already am a little biased from my dislike of the Anita Blake series, and try as I might to not let that affect how I read this book...I'm just not loving it so far.
But, who knows, it's still early and I may change my mind!

message 15: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Street (lizastreet) | 9 comments Elaine wrote: LKH goes nuts for clothes and appearance descriptions! It makes me wonder if she does it just to increase her word count

You know, I wonder if I were to outline this novel as I would for a novel I was interested in writing, how many scenes with forward movement would there be? To write a full-length novel, I need 30-50 scenes, usually. I'd be surprised if A Kiss of Shadows had that many. I'm not curious enough to actually outline it (too much work & I returned my copy already), and besides, different authors have different styles. But it seemed like for how long it was, not a whole lot happened in action/plot points.

And yet I was riveted. WHY? It wasn't the sex. The worldbuilding was pretty cool, but that can't carry me through a novel. Is it the tension? Because there's a lot of that--it seems like someone's always about to kill or have sex with Merry. Maybe that's it?

Krysta, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think! I went in with some Anita Blake bias, too.

Heather (aurone) | 5 comments I love this series and have read it a couple of times. I like this series for two reasons. I love anything about the Fae, and the characters, especially the boys. Merry is an okay character and gets the job done as far as a strong female lead goes. But each of the original boys (she picks up more later in the series) have their own story and quirks. I especially love Frost as difficult as he is. These are, for me, a quick kind of mindless read and I probably also enjoy them because of that. I agree with a previous commenter that the most recent book wasn't great especially considering we had to wait about 4 years for it. I definitely like these better than the Anita Blake series.

message 17: by Liza (new) - added it

Liza Street (lizastreet) | 9 comments Heather, I agree! She does a great job with the male characters. I hadn't noticed because I was focused on the worldbuilding and the female characters, but the dudes are pretty awesome. :)

message 18: by Myst (new) - rated it 4 stars

Myst | 108 comments The first 4 or so Merry books are quite good. After that I think they start to slide, and finally the last one took a total nose dive for quality.

Krysta (krystafig) | 4089 comments I know I'm late, but I just finished.

So, I feel like it took a very long time for anything to happen. Like several others have mentioned, LKH spends so much time on descriptions that you've read 25 pages and hardly anything has actually happened.
I'm also not a huge fan of the sheer amount of characters LKH writes in to her novels. There are just so many people that I often have to stop and remind myself who is who and what their roles are.

message 20: by Myst (new) - rated it 4 stars

Myst | 108 comments Krysta, LKH has nothing on GRRM for sheer volume of characters...except his actually all have a use. The problem with LKH is her characters do nothing to advance the story in the scene or out of it. So you end up with a zillion characters leaning against the wall waiting for her to describe them again.

Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Kiss of Shadows (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Laurell K. Hamilton (other topics)