Bleak House
This topic is about Bleak House
Film & TV Adaptations > Bleak House: Film & TV

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9694 comments Mod
Adaptations

"In the late nineteenth century, actress Fanny Janauschek acted in a stage version of Bleak House in which she played both Lady Dedlock and her maid Hortense. The two characters never appear on stage at the same time.

In 1876 John Pringle Burnett's play, Jo found success in London with his wife, Jennie Lee playing Jo, the crossing-sweeper.

In 1893, Jane Coombs acted in a version of Bleak House.

A 1901 short film, The Death of Poor Joe, is the oldest known surviving film featuring a Charles Dickens character (Jo in Bleak House).

In the silent film era, Bleak House was filmed in 1920 and 1922. The latter version featured Sybil Thorndike as Lady Dedlock.

In 1928, a short film made in the UK in the Phonofilm sound-on-film process starred Bransby Williams as Grandfather Smallweed.

In 1998, BBC Radio 4 broadcast a radio adaptation of five hour-long episodes, starring Michael Kitchen as John Jarndyce.

The BBC has produced three television adaptations of Bleak House.
*The first serial, Bleak House, was broadcast in 1959 in eleven half-hour episodes.
*The second Bleak House, starring Diana Rigg and Denholm Elliott, aired in 1985 as an eight-part series.
* In 2005, the third Bleak House was broadcast in fifteen episodes starring Anna Maxwell Martin, Gillian Anderson, Denis Lawson, Charles Dance, and Carey Mulligan. It won a Peabody Award that same year because it "created “appointment viewing,” soap-style, for a series that greatly rewarded its many extra viewers.""

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleak_H...

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Jun 30, 2016 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

BBC News: Earliest Charles Dickens film uncovered
9 March 2012

The oldest surviving film featuring a Charles Dickens character has been discovered, in the year of the 200th anniversary of the author's birth.

The Death of Poor Joe, which dates back to March 1901, was discovered by British Film Institute (BFI) curator Bryony Dixon, in February.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment...

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqufG...

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

PBS Bleak House Resources

PBS (Masterpiece Theatre) has some great resources here. Some on Dickens himself and some on the mini series. Great information.

Matt (mmullerm) | 830 comments Wow. Very interesting, Kathy. I didn't know there were that many adaptations done of this story.

Gaijinmama | 16 comments Hello...I haven't posted in a very long time.

I really liked the 2005 BBC version. Actually shelled out for the DVD and it was worth it. I knew Gillian Anderson could do a British accent but...wow. She truly nails Lady Dedlock. Burn Gorman is a perfect smarmy/pathetic Guppy as well.
They did cut out quite a few characters and scenes that I would have liked to see, but it is a huge book. It would have taken years to show the whole thing!

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

HI Gaijinmama
Nice to have you back with us. I'm looking forward to watching the miniseries, but I figured I had better read the book first.

Gaijinmama | 16 comments Kathy wrote: "HI Gaijinmama
Nice to have you back with us. I'm looking forward to watching the miniseries, but I figured I had better read the book first."

Thanks, Kathy.
Yeah, I cheated. Couldn't help myself because...well, you know. Gillian Anderson!

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

LOL

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

From the non spoiler thread:

Sue wrote: "I'm slowly watching the TV series now. Just finished episode 2. Doing 2 a week. I'm doing the 8 version one because that's what's on Amazon ptime and I'm watching with a friend . I want to get the ..."

Let us know how you like these.

message 10: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3328 comments Thanks Kathy! I forgot there was a separate thread for this. I am loving the 2005 Version of Bleak House so far. It's so well done.

Gaijinmama | 16 comments I recommend the new BBC series Dickensian. It takes place about 15 or so years before this story happens, and imagines how the characters, and those of a whole lot of other Dickens novels, end up as they do. Honoria Barbary Dedlock is there, as are Miss Havisham, LIttle Nell, and the Artful Dodger!
My favorite, though, is Stephen Rea who is awesome as Inspector Bucket, who ends up being the one who holds the whole mash-up together. Makes the character a lot more interesting and sympathetic....or at least you understand his motivations better.

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gaijinmama wrote: "I recommend the new BBC series Dickensian. It takes place about 15 or so years before this story happens, and imagines how the characters, and those of a whole lot of other Dickens novels, end up a..."

That sounds like a fun one to watch.

Linda (lindadol74) | 49 comments Now that I finished reading, I'm excited to see a film version. I'm going to watch the series on Amazon Prime and can't wait! (I noticed it says Season 1, but I'm wondering if there's only 1 season?)

message 14: by Sue (last edited Sep 10, 2016 09:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3328 comments Hi Linda. There is only one season. The Amazon prime version is only 8 episodes, I think, while the original BBC series was 15 or something. So they edit the episodes down.

Even with the editing, it was wonderful. The production values, the casting, the acting, the set design & cinematography - everything! I loved it as much as the book.

edited for a stupid auto correct that I noticed : \

Linda (lindadol74) | 49 comments I can't wait to see it!! I'll probably try to see at least one episode today, then the rest throughout the week! It might even give me more understanding of all the different parts of the story.

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments The BBC version of Bleak House is just such a fabulous, exquisitely cast and filmed production. I have seen it many times and just love it!!! It is fun now to finally be reading the book because I already have a really good grasp of a lot of the characters (not all are present in the movie) and am able to pay attention to a lot more of the details, descriptions, nuances and such. Once I finish reading it (in the next few weeks), I plan on watching it again for even more enjoyment. So, Linda and Kathy, have a wonderful time watching it for the first time.

Linda (lindadol74) | 49 comments I just finished episode 4. Fantastic casting--the characters' mannerisms and physical appearance are what I pictured while reading. Great miniseries. I'm going to try to see the last 2 episodes this weekend!

message 18: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

So good to hear! I'll be watching these in a week or so.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely loved BBC's Bleak House! I wish I'd read the novel first, but watching the series made me want to read it more. I found it addictive -- once I watched one episode, I couldn't wait to watch the next. To me, it's one of the best BBC adaptations I've seen.

message 20: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3328 comments MMG wrote: "I absolutely loved BBC's Bleak House! I wish I'd read the novel first, but watching the series made me want to read it more. I found it addictive -- once I watched one episode, I couldn't wait to w..."

I agree MMG. I watched it with a friend so I had to limit myself to two episodes a week, otherwise I probably would have binge watched in a couple days.

message 21: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3328 comments Bat-Cat wrote: "The BBC version of Bleak House is just such a fabulous, exquisitely cast and filmed production. I have seen it many times and just love it!!! It is fun now to finally be reading the book because I ..."

I'm so glad you loved the book even after having watched multiple times. I just loaned my audio copy to a friend who saw the series years ago, and I was hoping she could appreciate the book still.

As an aside, does anyone know if you loan an Audio book and it has whispersync, will it whispersync to the person loaned if they get the Kindle book? The Kindle book for Bleak House is free. I'm absolutely in love with Whispersync, especially for long books.

Linda (lindadol74) | 49 comments What a great movie!! It clarified a lot of the story I was confused about. Now I want to reread the book with a different mindset!!

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Linda wrote: "What a great movie!! It clarified a lot of the story I was confused about. Now I want to reread the book with a different mindset!!"

I agree totally, Linda. Watching the movie helps a lot with understanding of events and in keeping the multitude of characters straight. I had started with BH having watched the movie numerous times which made me REALLY want to read the book. Now that I am almost finished with the book (about 75% complete), I REALLY want to watch the movie again!!! ;-)

message 24: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

:)

message 25: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished the book, now onto viewing the TV series.