Rated YA-MA discussion

Archive > July 2016 On Deck

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments What's on your list for the upcoming month?

message 2: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Jun 30, 2016 03:38PM) (new)

Melanie | 1248 comments The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #1) by Marie Brennan

I also plan to continue the Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1) by Angie Sage series and start the The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner series.

message 3: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Finish:
Phantom by Susan Kay Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Read:
Eon (Eon, #1) by Alison Goodman The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer Sleeping with the Enemy Coco Chanel's Secret War by Hal Vaughan

Reread:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin

message 4: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Finish:
The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3) by Lauren DeStefano Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein

And then read these:
The Leaving by Tara Altebrando Mademoiselle Chanel by C.W. Gortner Quiet, Please Dispatches From A Public Librarian by Scott Douglas The Martian by Andy Weir The Safest Lies by Megan Miranda (the author's coming to my library in August!)
Marlene by C.W. Gortner First They Killed My Father A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers by Loung Ung The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes Mistress of Mourning by Karen Harper The Man in the Iron Mask (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3.3) by Alexandre Dumas Midwives by Chris Bohjalian Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh

message 5: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Christie wrote: "Finish:
The Magician's Lie by Greer MacallisterSever (The Chemical Garden, #3) by Lauren DeStefanoHunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein

And then read these:
The Leaving by Tara Altebrando[bookcover:Mademois..."

Christie, how is the Magician's Lie? I've had that on my tbr for awhile and the cover is so gorgeous.

message 6: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "Christie wrote: "Finish:
The Magician's Lie by Greer MacallisterSever (The Chemical Garden, #3) by Lauren DeStefanoHunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein

And then read these:
The Leaving by Tara Altebrando[b..."

Its pretty good. I haven't finished it yet, but I am hooked. Has a lot of elements that remind me of [book:Water for Elephants|43641] and The Night Circus. If you like reading about travelling circuses and mysteries, you would probably enjoy it.

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Excellent :)

message 8: by Day (new)

Day La | 46 comments Books that I have on my shelf for this month are:
The Rose & the Dagger (The Wrath & the Dawn, #2) by Renee Ahdieh
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
The Requiem Red by Brynn Chapman
and maybe The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library, #1) by Genevieve Cogman

trying to get some of the challenge books out of the way first, but we'll see.

message 9: by Gremlin (new)

Gremlin | 966 comments We're already partway through the month, but I'm finally almost finished with Lair of Dreams (The Diviners, #2) by Libba Bray (a not-tiny book coming in at over 600 pages) so I can finally start looking forward to the other things I need/want to read!

On the docket:
The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4) by Maggie Stiefvater (just came in from the library)
The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh (need to read for my work YA bookclub)
Never Said by Carol Lynch Williams (need to read because it's my turn to send it on. *cough*)
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (just because)

message 10: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Aug 01, 2016 05:16PM) (new)

Melanie | 1248 comments July recap:
I actually read 7 of the 11 books I had planned to read, so I'm kind of proud of my self.

I successfully finished all of the Septimus Heap books this month! This (to me) really was a good series. The magic was unique, the characters and the plots captivating.
Physik (Septimus Heap, #3) by Angie Sage Queste (Septimus Heap, #4) by Angie Sage Syren (Septimus Heap, #5) by Angie Sage Darke (Septimus Heap, #6) by Angie Sage Fyre (Septimus Heap, #7) by Angie Sage

I also read Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin and loved it. The main character (Liz) is a teen who dies shortly before her 16th birthday. In the afterlife, everyone ages backwards until they reach age zero, after which they are reborn back on Earth. It sounded like the book would be depressing, but it wasn’t. It had great funny moments, plus animals can talk to humans in the after life which was just delightful.
Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin

Lastly, I finally read Calamity by Brandon Sanderson. The book has been sitting on my self since February. I thought it was a great ending to the Steelheart trilogy.
Calamity (Reckoners, #3) by Brandon Sanderson

message 11: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Well wasn't I ambitious this month. Did not read most of what I put down, but here is what I did read. Lots of 4 star books. It was a pretty decent month for quality.

5 stars: The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly by Stephanie Oakes
4 stars: First They Killed My Father A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers by Loung Ung Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly Marlene by C.W. Gortner The Safest Lies by Megan Miranda The Martian by Andy Weir Mademoiselle Chanel by C.W. Gortner
3 stars: Lord of the Flies by William Golding The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister Quiet, Please Dispatches From A Public Librarian by Scott Douglas The Leaving by Tara Altebrando Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein
2 stars: Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3) by Lauren DeStefano

message 12: by Ashley Marie (last edited Aug 02, 2016 05:50AM) (new)

Ashley Marie LOL these goals kind of went out the window. I did finish Red Seas and Phantom, but DNF'd American Gods and didn't touch any of the rest on my list.

However, I still read 10 books total!

5 stars - Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2) by Scott Lynch Burial Rites by Hannah Kent Paper and Fire (The Great Library, #2) by Rachel Caine The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1) by Roshani Chokshi Phantom by Susan Kay Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1) by Laura Ingalls Wilder

4 stars - 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup Lacero by Andy Weir Death Note, Vol. 1 Boredom (Death Note, #1) by Tsugumi Ohba

2.5 stars - Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard

Phantom and Little House were both rereads.